• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Worry!

New posts
Hot Damn!! Take a couple of days off and see what happens!!

This is GRAYT!!! If nothing else, it makes us think, and talk to each other.

Theology has been argued for as long as man has known that there is such a thing, and will be until the end of this earth.

Whe it is all said and done, the one question a person has to answer is am I happy with the decisions I have made?:confused:
 
15

:floor: Wise.
 
I'll do my best, and I'm sure that you will tell me where my argument needs more 'splaining or expanding:

Anthropomorphism is when we attribute human characteristics to something. I don't believe God has an appendix or a belly button. I don't believe that he has the characteristics of a human--he doesn't get sick, he doesn't screw up, doesn't slam his finger in the car door. This all falls under the definition of God; if he is God, he is not human. Omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent. Infallible.

My belief that we are made in his image is, obviously, a belief. I do not have independent verification of it.

If we are made in his image then why does that image not have a belly button or appendix?

You say that Jesus was god, and presumably you believe that he ate at the last supper, and so the question remains -why does god need a digestive system?

From my perspective - a far more logical conclusion is that people simple projected a human form onto their idea of what god ought to be.

A quick look at the historical panoply of gods and deities shows that this is indeed a recurring theme. Zeus, Thor, etc. etc. So it is logical to conclude that Christianity simply did the same. Even copying a lot of what the early gods were supposed to embody into their version.

Saying that god isn?t anthropomorphic simply because you believe that he came first and created people second doesn?t sit real well until someone explains why god would need a digestive system, appendix etc. (and why god apparently shares 99.9% of his DNA with chimps).

Deities are almost always anthropomorphic for an obvious reason. People need to relate to their gods
 
​
 
Tell me, Uncle Timmy, some of what you think. I want to understand where you're coming from, too. How do you think that a human, an elephant, a sycamore tree, and a ladybug all got here? How did we get from pre-Bang nothing to primordial ooze to a planet teeming with such amazing diversity?

Well that could be a very long discussion in and of itself. I don?t really have the time to type out the latest scientific theories with regards to origins of the universe, evolution, etc.

Not to duck the question, but perhaps simply stating that I have a strong personal preference for The Methodology of Science as a way to explain and understand the world will suffice as an answer.

Interesting, what I like best about science as opposed to religion -is that it isn?t afraid to say, sometimes- "We don?t know." or better yet, "We thought we knew but new information has lead us to revise our ideas."

I like the ability of the body of scientific knowledge to grow and to revise itself. I have always been most troubled by the inflexibility of religion, the so-called ?truth? of religion always struck me as its weakness.

Likewise, filtering personal issues through a static religious dogma (praying) does not strike me as very appealing. I will continue to think through issues logically.
 
Oh, no problem...I have been crucified with Christ, so it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me -- and the life I now live in the flesh...I live by faith in the One who loved me and gave Himself for me.


Oh, BTW...that is very scriptural!!!

Oh, well alrighty then.

But seriously, do you find it difficult to walk thru doors or say, ride escalators with a crucifix nailed to you?

I?ll bet finding an appropriate wardrobe is a hassle too. I've heard of Cross Dressing but I didn't think it took this form......

Just curious.
 
I can't do anything with this. You asked your questions, I posted my response, you skipped the parts of it you didn't like and said exactly the same things again and asked me what I meant by it.

But I sure ain't gonna worry about it. :lol: Good night, and good luck. :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Oh, well alrighty then.

But seriously, do you find it difficult to walk thru doors or say, ride escalators with a crucifix nailed to you?

I?ll bet finding an appropriate wardrobe is a hassle too. I've heard of Cross Dressing but I didn't think it took this form......

Just curious.


LOLOL! Catch ya later!!!



[ame="http://www.sowal.com/bb/member.php?u=2169"]SoWal Beaches Forum[/ame]

"I worry that this thread will never end."


Don't worry. Just be glad that it will never end because it is an eternal issue...something that is always on our minds!!!
 
If we are made in his image then why does that image not have a belly button or appendix?

You say that Jesus was god, and presumably you believe that he ate at the last supper, and so the question remains -why does god need a digestive system?

From my perspective - a far more logical conclusion is that people simple projected a human form onto their idea of what god ought to be.

Back in 2003, Astronomers announced that there are 70 sextillion stars in the visible universe. That is a 7, followed by 22 zeros, and only in the "visible" (within range of telescopes) universe. The real total number of stars could be "much, much larger," according to the Astronomers.

As of July 2007, the world population is estimated at 6.6 billion. Let's round it up to 7 Billion for easy comparisons. That is a 7, followed by only 9 zeros.

If that is true, why would God take the form of only a human, which thus far is found to exist on only one planet? Also, why did God wait to take the human form, thousands of years after the humans walked the planet?

Wouldn't it make better sense for God to take the form of something more "universal," like a star? :idontno: Oh, wait a minute, the Greeks already thought of that one. We even use the term SunDay, to describe our day of the week set aside to worship the Sun, I mean God.

I think we have HUGE egos to think that we can understand the vastness of God.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top