• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Well, let's see; private beaches, public beaches, property rights, beach access, security thugs, offsite owner's access, beach access, historical use, Surfrider...things that we've been discussing over the last 6 months, all in one untidy mess.

Then I remembered your friend bmbw and his incessant requests and jabs at Bobby and Surfrider. We never saw any resolution, and the Surfrider access mentions reminded me of it. And since he got on the BMSS bus and reared his little head some posts back, I fancied it would be a good time to hear what he made of all that. And it's thanksgiving, so I'm thankful for comedic relief. And as a bonus, the above.

Can we come over for some turkey? I'm thankful that we don't see any gun turrets over there, yet.
Oh I see. Its clear and funny now. In other words, it has nothing to do with this...other than "the Surfrider access mentions reminded you of it" .

To Bobby J's credit, I personally didn't know a thing about Surfrider before all the public/private/seawall discussions we've had in the past. Bobby has done Surfrider a service (I think) through exposure on this website. If he could learn to keep the GG's off his team...oh well.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Oh I see. Its clear and funny now. In other words, it has nothing to do with this...other than "the Surfrider access mentions reminded you of it" .

To Bobby J's credit, I personally didn't know a thing about Surfrider before all the public/private/seawall discussions we've had in the past. Bobby has done Surfrider a service (I think) through exposure on this website. If he could learn to keep the GG's off his team...oh well.

Not sure what a GG is but I have no control of who is on the team. I know one thing for sure. We are all going to suffer if we do not come to common ground. I have made many mistakes in past post because of the emotion attached. I imagine yours is probably greater. I am too tired to fight with anyone. I think the help I can give on the issue is to help educate. I really can not do this on a thread or a town hall meeting. If you ever would like to get a cup of coffee and talk we would probably get more done that way then trying to prove each other wrong on a local forum board.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
The video Bear had was a Surfrider meeting and the bill that passed was from Surfrider. You speak of private beaches, they speak of access. They do tie together but each issue is separate. I see your point. I hope one day we can all come to common ground.

"They do tie together but each issue is separate."

Thank you for ackowledging that each issue is separate. As far as how much they tie together is debatable. Governor Crist clearly discussed access to PUBLIC beaches (not private) in the video that Bear posted.

"I hope one day we can all come to common ground."

Bobby, don't faint....I do too.

But it will be by compromise and agreement, not via willful confiscation of private property by our county commissioners which would benefit the developers and associated tourism more than to benefit people like you and your friends (locals) who desire to use the beach without interference.

I know you and your buds have a difference of opinion with mine on some issues. With that said, I am fully aware that I make myself an easy target for you guys. Some try to paint me as the bad guy. And as you know, not too many of "me" (beach property owners) speak up very loud on this board.

But, that doesn't mean I am alone in my beliefs (and legal rights). Now that Seaside, Rosemary Beach and other MAJOR developments take the same position as myself (even more so in terms of enforcement), it seems to me that I'm not the only "bad guy" in town. I fully understand that it does not make the private beach situation any more comforting for you.

I have noticed that a lot of the hostile private vs. public posturing exhibited earlier this year has toned down. I'm not sure if its because its an "old" subject on SoWal or because some people are starting to understand the situation.

Let's try to get along during this "evolutionary" process. I define evolution here as improper development straining the "old" way of life down here. In the past, I believe nobody cared who was on the beach because there were simply very few people on the beach relatively speaking (edit: AND most of the people that were there were most likely from the associated beach front developments and properties). In 5 short years I think we agree that there has been significant growth in our area. And since some of it was very inappropriate, there will of course be negative repercussions.

A Sincere Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

lancelf08

Beach Comber
Jul 23, 2007
If anyone from the SWCC can contact me I'd like to talk to you about an article I'm writing on beach rights for the Daily News.
Please call me at the number below.

Best,

Andy Meinen
Reporter
The Northwest Florida Daily News

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If anyone from the SWCC can contact me I'd like to talk to you about an article I'm writing on beach rights for the Daily News.
Please call me at the number below.

Best,

Andy Meinen
Reporter
The Northwest Florida Daily News
I don't know that the leaders of the SWCC regularly read this board. Perhaps you should try contacting Anita Paige. I'd guess her contact info is on SWCC's website.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
From this weekend's Walton Sun:

"...All board members agreed with the timelimited height regulation with the exception of Cindy Meadows, who felt the limited height would limit growth in the south part of the county. After the year is up, the issue will be readdressed for possible changes."

Hey Uncle Timmy, another scare tactic?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There is already a 50' height limit south of the bay. The "south" they are referring to is in the area NORTH of the bay, but still in the southern portion of the county.

Kudos to the Commissioners for passing the whole county height ordinance, which I hope becomes permanent! :clap:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
There is already a 50' height limit south of the bay. The "south" they are referring to is in the area NORTH of the bay, but still in the southern portion of the county.

Kudos to the Commissioners for passing the whole county height ordinance, which I hope becomes permanent! :clap:
Amen to that. Now if we could just get "public" use of the beach from our variou "public" accesses we will be just fine. And by the way for those interested (BMBV) I am not for anyone using private accesses to reach the beach. Once there, though, as long as the public uses the beach responsibly, they should be allowed to do so ANYWHERE below the toe of the dune. I hope this year the Florida Supreme Court decides to do as Hawaii and Oregon have and that is to make the beaches "public".

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Amen to that. Now if we could just get "public" use of the beach from our variou "public" accesses we will be just fine. And by the way for those interested (BMBV) I am not for anyone using private accesses to reach the beach. Once there, though, as long as the public uses the beach responsibly, they should be allowed to do so ANYWHERE below the toe of the dune. I hope this year the Florida Supreme Court decides to do as Hawaii and Oregon have and that is to make the beaches "public".

I have suggested to one of the commissioners that they have the GIS department that we fund, create a map of what beac accesses and lands near the gulf are currently public for use and such. So far, not a whole lot of luck, I guess some people really do not want to know.

As for the height limit, what is the difference between 50 feet and 200 feet if you are standing at the base trying to see what is on the other side?