• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I don't have a problem with signs to help tourists navigate 30-A, but it's not exactly a complex maze of interchanges, many lanes of high speed traffic, or confusing terrain. If they need garish 15' high signs to find their way along 30-A, I don't know how they 1) drove from their home to 30-A 2) passed their driver's test. As with the flag warning system, I think people are just oblivious or unaware, not that more or bolder signs are needed.

They followed the signs to 30-A. :rotfl:

I don't understand why you think that anyone would automatically know where these beach communites begin and end. Sure its very easy to find 30-A but if you are from out of town and you are looking for a restaurant in Seagrove that is something that one does not automatically know.

I don't see any relationship at all to letting someone know where something is located in an area they might not be familiar with and being able to pass a driving test. Comments such as that do nothing to support your validity to changing the signs.

If all the signs were removed from 30-A, how would one know where one community begins and ends? :dunno:

I have no problem with some other type of sign, but to insinuate that one can't drive to SoWal or take a driver's test is related to wanting clarification to the location of certain areas on 30-A, is ridiculous at best.

If your problem is simply with the design of the sign that is understandable, if your dislike is having signs at all, well then I disagree with your reasoning on them not being needed.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am not advocating that we remove all signage from 30-A, I am saying that if the purported reason for the new signs is ease of navigation for tourists, smaller print and harder to see signs isn't the way to go.

And that if driving 30-A is too confusing and poorly marked, the far more complex feat of driving several hours to get here and remembering the correct number of feet to allow in fog would be likewise impossible.

And to use your example, someone following the signs to Seagrove and their dining destination will be FAR more confused by the fact that per the new signage, Seagrove is just a white stucco home directly south of 395, or that the Preserve at Grayton isn't in Grayton, than by the previous lack of signs.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I am not advocating that we remove all signage from 30-A, I am saying that if the purported reason for the new signs is ease of navigation for tourists, smaller print and harder to see signs isn't the way to go

That I would agree with. :clap:

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Well since I been reading this thread and watching the amazing poll, I felt compelled to voice my opinion on the Dreaded signs. After chatting briefly this morning during an early lunch at the Market I figured since I voiced it with the couple that was sitting a few tables away after over hearing their conversation on the Dreaded signs. Here we go...

OK we now have signs that are very user friendly. Visible and correct information. (Being fairly new to the area I had at times wondered were I was at "Seaside/Seagrove... etc etc... )I mean we found the signs eventually those low to the ground pale wooden signs. Placed in odd places along 30-A.
Now I drive without wondering what area I am in and what areas are in front of me. Now put Mr/Mrs Tourist in this and BINGO they can navigate much better and be better informed and they just might ENJOY a restaurant or another business that they can correctly place in "Seaside or Seagrove and or Watercolor etc etc....

Honestly I think they are perfect for the purpose they are placed there for, "INFORMATION" . I think the old signs back in the day were OK but now with society seeming to want Instant service and communications, the signs are just that... the signs of the times. Thats my humble opinion.....;-)

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Does Alys Beach do short term rentals? I wonder if they were left off or just not added. If they don't pay a heads in beds tax, they may not be included.

once again, these are considered the main beach communities along 30A. yes, some are resort communities, some are not. this has nothing to do with anything except names of general neighborhoods along 30A.

Alys Beach has not been added to the TDC website, and I'm sure its an oversight. Their map and information is incomplete/incorrect without it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
No JOe, I don't think it is right to assume that they will not be replacing the signs. I believe this is a powerfully important element essential to the identity of SCENIC 30-A. I don't think we or the visitors should settle for anything less than full redesign and replacement, period.

This well crafted letter from the TDC is an attempt to make it a forgone conclusion that the signs are staying. They assumed (wrongly) that because no one made a flap with the design of the beach signs that they could mirror them and we would just roll over and accept this nonsense all along SCENIC 30-A.

Judging from this thread and most everyone I speak to, this community is not about to roll over and accept this. To say that they have gotten positive feedback from visitors is just outrageous. Perhaps the Montgomery School for the Blind put in a good word.

At any rate, my suggestion is to approach the TDC along with Claire Bannerman, and other community leaders including representatives from St. Joe, Seaside, Alys beach, Sowallers, Rosemary Beach ect... and come up with a cohesive plan and design that fits. The new signs should comply with traffic safety standards and wind loads but should look nothing less than awesome.

One of the most important signs (no pun intended) of a great leader and organization is the ability to admit quickly when you have made a mistake and quickly work towards remedying the situation. I recently received a letter from a SoWaller suggesting we contact the Pier park folks and see if we can sell the signs to them. Not a bad idea really.

I think we all have the creative ability and energy to come up with a win win solution for the TDC and this community. I will pledge the first $1000.00 towards the replacement of these signs; my check will be hand delivered to the TDC Monday Morning at 10:00 A.M. Anyone wishing to join me is welcome.

Dave Rauschkolb
Full time resident

:clap::clap::clap:
thanks Dave! yes, we do have a stake in our own community, if we claim it.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
The architecture?

That might be true for Alys Beach, or Rosemary, but not for Santa Rosa Beach or Blue Mountain or Dune Allen.:dunno:

I agree that the design of the signs could use some improvement, but I think they had the right idea.

janshops

Beach Comber
May 8, 2007
I just returned from an area where I did not speak the language and could not make much sense of the signs. I used maps. Maybe more maps should be made available to visitors. They don't spoil the scenery.