• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I bet some people's sand and seawalls costs more than their original purchase of the property.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
i guess this bru-ha-ha is really just a lot of hooey when you think of it...everyone is having a good time and loving life as far as i can see!

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
Bsio2,
on table 5-1 of Taylor Eng. Study and and again in the summary there is the chart/summary statement that...."Large scale Beach restoration projects (at named reaches with named volumes)

"PROVIDE 100 YEAR RETURN PERIOD STORM PROTECTION."

I could translate that a couple of different ways but i would rather have the official translation from you and/or maybe Taylor since it is their report. Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Bsio2,
on table 5-1 of Taylor Eng. Study and and again in the summary there is the chart/summary statement that...."Large scale Beach restoration projects (at named reaches with named volumes)

"PROVIDE 100 YEAR RETURN PERIOD STORM PROTECTION."

I could translate that a couple of different ways but i would rather have the official translation from you and/or maybe Taylor since it is their report. Thanks in advance for your time.

100-year storm protection is an engineering term that relates to frequency of impact/risk. In essence, there is a 1 in 100 or 1% chance that a 100 year storm would occur on any given year. In regards to a beach restoration project, if that storm does occur then all of the placed sand would erode, but NOT any of the pre-project beach. FYI, there has not been a 100-year storm impact Walton County since the records have been kept starting in the late 1800's.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
Fascinating, Thanks so much...were (or would) any of Camille Opal Ivan Dennis Katrina Rita or the storm of September 8 1900 known as Isaac's storm in that category? (for the landfall areas if restored)

i swear i won't ask any more questions:D

Last edited:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Fascinating, Thanks so much...were any of Camille Opal Ivan Dennis Katrina Rita or the storm of September 8 1900 known as Isaac's storm in that category? (for the landfall areas)

i swear i won't ask any more questions:D

I honestly don't know on all of those but would estimate that 1900 and Katrina would definitely have been. I am not sure about the others.

I can also tell you that with Ivan, there was more sand within the active beach, dune and nearshore areas in Pensacola than before they did their initial beach restoration. In other words, it performed as it was designed with no net loss of pre-project beach.

You can always ask other questions. :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Nothing to do with anything, BeachSi02, what happens to those chances of 1 in a 100 on the following year, if we get a 100 year storm in 20XX? Doesn't the chance remain 1 in 100?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Nothing to do with anything, BeachSi02, what happens to those chances of 1 in a 100 on the following year, if we get a 100 year storm in 20XX? Doesn't the chance remain 1 in 100?

Yep, same as having kids. The likelihood remains the same.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So even if all the sand gets washed away by a 100 year storm, and it was nourished (by man), it could still happen again, even as early as the following year or sooner, statistically speaking, right?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
So even if all the sand gets washed away by a 100 year storm, and it was nourished (by man), it could still happen again, even as early as the following year or sooner, statistically speaking, right?

Yes, in theory but we haven't had a 100-year storm in over 100 years. Are we lucky, I would say yes. But here's something to keep in mind. In Walton County, the damage (erosional loss) from a 100-year storm is estimated to be "roughly" 2-3 times the amount of sand lost to Dennis and Ivan (~80 CY per foot of beach). So the question a community would face is in regards to what would be lost if that amount of erosion occurred in a pre-construction beach versus just losing sand that was placed seaward of the existing dune in a restoration project and do the benefits outweigh the costs.