• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Re: Del Stone on the Big Blue Signs

Say what you will about this Del Stone guy, he's a sharp enough reporter to have uncovered JDarg's plot to rid the world of unicorns. Now we will have to cancel the Platinum Pride Alliance founders meeting. Drats!

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider

Say what you will about this Del Stone guy, he's a sharp enough reporter to have uncovered JDarg's plot to rid the world of unicorns. Now we will have to cancel the Platinum Pride Alliance founders meeting. Drats!

Crazy hefer:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Please take those cookies down.

I'm really thinking about writing a letter to the editor about this. The column bothered me because what you guys did proved that any community can change something it doesn't like. If he was busy organizing people to get the treatment plant under control instead of this rant, maybe he could get something bothersome in his area changed as well. It doesn't have to be about big blue signs. It can be about anything enough organized people in a community dislike. I've always had an issue with complainers that don't have a plan to change what they don't like. If you are unhappy with something, fine, but come to the table with some ideas as well as your complaints.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Crazy hefer:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Please take those cookies down.

I'm really thinking about writing a letter to the editor about this. The column bothered me because what you guys did proved that any community can change something it doesn't like. If he was busy organizing people to get the treatment plant under control instead of this rant, maybe he could get something bothersome in his area changed as well. It doesn't have to be about big blue signs. It can be about anything enough organized people in a community dislike. I've always had an issue with complainers that don't have a plan to change what they don't like. If you are unhappy with something, fine, but come to the table with some ideas as well as your complaints.

Thanks ALeonard. I think it is obvious, from quite a few times this year, that lots of people here are not "all talk.";-) Del Stone's piece does have quite the icky tone to it.

Now, back to my irrational fear of unicorns. Dangit Punz- I need a new plan.

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Actually, I adore Del Stone's columns. :love: Have for many, many years. He is a local (FWB) boy who has the fine art of satire down pat. I just wish I had his imagination.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com

Say what you will about this Del Stone guy, he's a sharp enough reporter to have uncovered JDarg's plot to rid the world of unicorns.

:clap::clap::clap:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider

Actually, I adore Del Stone's columns. :love: Have for many, many years. He is a local (FWB) boy who has the fine art of satire down pat. I just wish I had his imagination.

I usually do as well SN. I think it was a small scent of hypocrisy in this article that bothered me. He says in one breath that the people against the signs were somehow trivial for organizing and stopping a government entity from running roughshod over a neighborhood and then in another breath complained about something in his, he has to drive by and smell, but is willing to do nothing about.:dunno: Why complain or minimize someone who is willing to take a stand, when you are not?

But then again, maybe, I need more coffee and I will be less irritable this morning:D

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach

This is by far the first Del Stone column to raise my ire. I even called him once to complain about a column he had penned. He was, as I remember, anything but friendly. He is one of the main reasons I am no longer a subscriber to the Northwest Daily News.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider

Thanks ALeonard. I think it is obvious, from quite a few times this year, that lots of people here are not "all talk.";-) Del Stone's piece does have quite the icky tone to it.

Now, back to my irrational fear of unicorns. Dangit Punz- I need a new plan.

2005-11-08-unicorns.png

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Years ago, there was another columnist and, unlike Del, this dude had a daily column we had to suffer through. Can't think of his name right now, and it was hard to miss this guy's ramblings since he was on the front page of the Local/State section. I think he was former military, but he was NOT the one who had a part in The Truman Show. The main things I remember was that he had recently quit smoking, and about three times a week he would either make reference to his new, healthy lifestyle or take the opportunity to bash smokers. However, many of his other columns referenced his many evenings at the Emerald Coast's infamous watering holes. He thought himself quite the social butterfly. I met him once, and found that he was a drunken, self-important pompous @ss.

The final straw for me was when, in a column mentioning something that was being held at Seaside, he gushed about "that place just makes me WIGGLY!" :blink: :puke: Thank God they finally ran him off.

Of course, my favorite guy at the Daily News is Tom McLaughlin. He'd have a ball in the Politics forum. :cool: