• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
BIG BLUE SIGNS COME DOWN!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't belive my eyes today when I saw work crews removing the "Welcome to Seacrest Beach" sign at Camp Creek Lake. As I drove down 30A I saw that all of them had been removed - at least as far as Watercolor. Congrates to everyone involved with this effort and to the TDC for the rapid response.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
tsutchi, did you get lost without having signs, or did you feel unwelcomed? Earlier today, I was reading the Seaside Times, and there were plenty of letters to the editor regarding people's dislike for the private property signs everywhere in Seaside. Just thought those signs were an interesting contrast to the former signs at each end of Seaside saying, "Welcome to Seaside."

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
SJ - Yea, I had to pull over and get my bearings as I just couldn't remember where I was. It was all so disorienting without help from the signs. Feel sorry for that Spouter in the Dailey News who has been here 25 years and found them useful to get around!!!!! Makes you want to weap sometimes.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
those signs were fugly in my humble opinion, and then my wife arrived at the same impression all on her own.

It was actually kind of scary seeing them, because we were looking to invest in SoWal, and had recently come down to check on her charms, and were a bit spooked that maybe South Walton had taken a serious turn for the worse...

what a relief. thanks to the efforts of the many involved in getting these blue monsters down - sincerely.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
did anyone get pix of the removal of the signs...I hope:D

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
Driving home at night is so much more peaceful without the big blue monsters looming around every turn. I always thought they were ugly, but I kind of tuned them out after a while. Their negative subliminal effect was more powerful than I realized... It really is remarkable how much more of a pleasant drive it is without them there!

Bravo to everyone who took part in their removal. :clap:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, it feels so much more natural without them, and I still recognize when I get to Grayton, WaterCooler, and Seaside. It's easy to tell when you get to Seaside. Just look for the security guys in Red Shirts.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Letter in Todays Paper

Gutless TDC
Walton County?s Tourist Development Council demonstrated poor judgment and a lack of intestinal fortitude when it decided to remove the blue signs along County Road 30A.
This is not the first time we?ve been down this road. At a past County Commission meeting, it became apparent that the county?s Scenic Corridor Committee was dominated by the private Scenic Corridor Association, which, in turn, was dominated by a single individual. At that meeting, after considerable debate, the County Commission abolished the county committee. It was later re-established because it was required in the land development code.
The arguments at that time also centered on signage. In these arguments, the purpose of signs becomes lost.
The purpose of signs is to identify or give direction. Both functions were abysmally lacking in the southern part of the county prior to erection of the blue signs. Even now, Sacred Heart Hospital is not conspicuously identified.
Given the importance of tourism to the Walton County economy, providing clear direction and identification to people new to the area would seem to be worthy of paramount consideration. Add to this the heavy traffic, and a lack of easy identification or direction becomes an invitation to a major accident.
It is to be hoped that the Walton County Commission will demonstrate better judgment, fiscal responsibility and intestinal fortitude when it considers the TDC recommendation.
? GENE RYAN
DeFuniak Springs

While I do not agree with him, he does make a point that could be used. (Not in reference to 30-A). And coupled with another letter a few days ago where someone said they should recycle the signs and use them for better hurricane evacuation routes.

Why don't they make important places like Sacred Heart with larger more prominent signs? I have lived here for years and half the time, I make the wrong turn. Secondly, I agree with recycling the signs to use for better evacuation route identification..

I know this is not in the direction the forum has taken, but it's a thought. They spent an insane amount of money on those signs, how they could ever justify it, I will never know or who made such a stupid decision to spend this type of money on these signs....

But, at least they could put them to better use.....

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
It's obvious that Mr. Ryan has no idea what the whole up-roar was about in the first place, especialy when he references Sacred Heart. This was about a community and its having an impact on what goes on in it and the effect on their daily lives. Nobody that I know has said that having no wayfinding signs was the objective but only that said signs should be compatible with area. Frankly, anything we can do to keep the tourists moving along to their destinations is good - hate getting behind someone who is lost.
I agree it was an obsene amount of money to spend on signs, but at least some of them will be reused - perhaps on 98 near Sacred Heart. In the meantime, thank you TDC for heeding our call and moving quickly.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
I am neutral in this issue but just wanted to tell you all congratulations. :D Your efforts really show the passion that this community has and one of the reasons why I personally think it is one of the best places in the world to live.