• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I've been trying to show that there is an Undercurrent and Good Old Boy Network in this area for 7 years. Does anyone around here understand that point and click justice goes both ways? Your group won't always be in power and that's why America settled on the Constitution. These backroom activities are the biggest affront to American free society today.

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/system_70907___article.html/bay_trouble.html

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I think the Andy Griffith Show portrayed the good ole boy idea at it's best. However, real life does not always, if ever, have an "Andy" as it's Sheriff, nor a community with a strong moral fiber. There is nothing hidden that cannot be revealed, and as long as we have freedom to speak concerning issues, we still can hope for a better life.

I think the Andy Griffith Show portrayed the good ole boy idea at it's best. However, real life does not always, if ever, have an "Andy" as it's Sheriff, nor a community with a strong moral fiber. There is nothing hidden that cannot be revealed, and as long as we have freedom to speak concerning issues, we still can hope for a better life.

Amen to the Freedom of Speech. Knowledge is Power. Knowledge limited to the priveleged is otherwise.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
I've been trying to show that there is an Undercurrent and Good Old Boy Network in this area for 7 years. Does anyone around here understand that point and click justice goes both ways? Your group won't always be in power and that's why America settled on the Constitution. These backroom activities are the biggest affront to American free society today.

I knew Ryder Larramore many years ago and he was a train wreck then. Some things never change.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think the title of the thread is wrong. Perhaps something along the lines of, "Will people who have known each other their entire lives keep doing special favors for each other and ignore outsiders?"

AAbsolute I know you are from the North, I have many relatives from the north who make jokes about the good ol' boy network. However, the same thing happens up north too and is generally even more pervasive through the use of unions, fraternal organizations, and trade organizations.

Perhaps it's not so much an attempt to keep you out of the loop as retaliation for someone who makes blanket statements about an entire county or segment of population. Regardless if this was 50 years ago you'd have already gotten a visit from the Sheriff and the unwelcome wagon. ;-)

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I think there are 2 entirely different thoughts on "good ole boys",
1. Crooks in positions of authority who excuse their friends and relatives;
2. Honorable individuals who don't like one group picking on another, that follow a basic moral opinion.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach

AA, why waste useful energy pontificating on what is inherently human nature everywhere and the bane of small town politics. I am of the idea that when one uses the cat box and it gets covered over, eventually it rises back up to the top and gets stepped in. So, people get what's coming due eventually. Your energies could be channeled towards the betterment of your community and would in all likelihood eventually prove to be fruitful in all facets of your life.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think anyone doubts the existence of the "good ol' boy network". Just as in many other places it's not necessarily what you know, it's WHO you know.

The best way to get rid of it is through transparency and everyone becoming actively involved in the government and politics and demanding accountability.