• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I have been thrilled to be taking the Master Gardener class at the Walton County Extension Office, and am getting so excited about building a vegetable garden. I am a tomato junkie, and so my focus will be tomatoes this first year.

I am going to attempt a few heirloom varieties (Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, and Mortgage Lifter) but have been forewarned that getting fruits off these plants will be an uphill battle in this area given the sandy soil and the preponderance of nematodes around here. I understand that organic fertilizers, particularly blood meal, may help control nematodes. Still, I'm thinking I'd like to try out a couple of the tomato varieties recommended by the vegetable gardening expert in the area -- the agent out of Santa Rosa county.

The agent recommended three varieties -- Christa, Fletcher, and Quincy. All were developed for the area and are resistant to multiple wilts as well as nematodes.

My first question is whether anyone has tried Christa, Fletcher, or Quincy tomatoes and can tell me how they taste. The whole point of growing them is to get better tasting tomatoes than I can buy at Publix.

Second, these seeds are only sold by commercial growers and come in packages of 1000. Would anyone want to split an order with me?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That's awesome. Watch out for the Hornworms.

manduca_quinquemaculata_larva_lateral_m_01.jpg
They will devistate your crop if you don't control them. There are plenty of organic methods of control found online, and speaking from experience pinching them between your fingers gets old after a while. If you want some good tips on local gardening, you need to go visit Woody (on Bay Drive, the folk artist). The has a great garden, and he isn't afraid to share his secrets with good people. Also, T Cline posted a good link on gardening in NW FL, which looked like it had some good info, and had some good advice on growing tomatoes -- use containers with good potting soil.

Others may not know one of the commitments of becoming a Master Gardner -- Master Gardeners must commit to giving back, by sharing their knowledge with the community. I hope that you will be sharing more gardening tips, because I've always just winged it, and some plants are hits, and others are total misses.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I hate hornworms. They were terrible in New Orleans, too. I was trying to be organic, and bought some nicotine pesticide to spray them. The sprayer leaked a little, and my hand and arm to my elbow were numb for three days. So, tips on organic pest control would be fabulous.

I know containers are the best bet, but I really want to do some real in earth gardening. I need to figure out a way to get a load of mushroom compost before the plant closes. I just love the way an orderly, loved vegetable garden looks in the landscape.

As for that giving back stuff, you know I love nothing more. So far, the most important thing I think I've learned is the importance of the soil test. Our soil leaches nutrients quickly, so it can get out of balance with commercial fertilizers. Plus, the water that comes from the county is from deep aquifers, and is very alkaline, so it can throw off pH and make the nutrients that are in the soil unavailable to the plant. So, get a soil test first! If you don't want to drive to DeFuniak, pm me -- I head up every Thursday and will be glad to help you.

The other thing, if you are using fertilizer DON'T use the balanced formulas. If the package says 13-13-13, it's not good for your sandy soil. Use it once a year, but then switch to something low with a low middle number. The sort of blind recommendation is a 15-0-15, or 15-0-7. And we all need lots of composted organic material to retain moisture.

SJ, I'm starting way more seeds than I have room for...would you like to have some starter plants from the heirlooms so we can compare and figure out which is best?

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
I have been thrilled to be taking the Master Gardener class at the Walton County Extension Office, and am getting so excited about building a vegetable garden. I am a tomato junkie, and so my focus will be tomatoes this first year.

I am going to attempt a few heirloom varieties (Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, and Mortgage Lifter) but have been forewarned that getting fruits off these plants will be an uphill battle in this area given the sandy soil and the preponderance of nematodes around here. I understand that organic fertilizers, particularly blood meal, may help control nematodes. Still, I'm thinking I'd like to try out a couple of the tomato varieties recommended by the vegetable gardening expert in the area -- the agent out of Santa Rosa county.

The agent recommended three varieties -- Christa, Fletcher, and Quincy. All were developed for the area and are resistant to multiple wilts as well as nematodes.

My first question is whether anyone has tried Christa, Fletcher, or Quincy tomatoes and can tell me how they taste. The whole point of growing them is to get better tasting tomatoes than I can buy at Publix.

Second, these seeds are only sold by commercial growers and come in packages of 1000. Would anyone want to split an order with me?
Try growing in pots.

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
i hate hornworms. They were terrible in new orleans, too. I was trying to be organic, and bought some nicotine pesticide to spray them. The sprayer leaked a little, and my hand and arm to my elbow were numb for three days. So, tips on organic pest control would be fabulous.

I know containers are the best bet, but i really want to do some real in earth gardening. I need to figure out a way to get a load of mushroom compost before the plant closes. I just love the way an orderly, loved vegetable garden looks in the landscape.

As for that giving back stuff, you know i love nothing more. So far, the most important thing i think i've learned is the importance of the soil test. Our soil leaches nutrients quickly, so it can get out of balance with commercial fertilizers. Plus, the water that comes from the county is from deep aquifers, and is very alkaline, so it can throw off ph and make the nutrients that are in the soil unavailable to the plant. So, get a soil test first! If you don't want to drive to defuniak, pm me -- i head up every thursday and will be glad to help you.

The other thing, if you are using fertilizer don't use the balanced formulas. If the package says 13-13-13, it's not good for your sandy soil. Use it once a year, but then switch to something low with a low middle number. The sort of blind recommendation is a 15-0-15, or 15-0-7. And we all need lots of composted organic material to retain moisture.

Sj, i'm starting way more seeds than i have room for...would you like to have some starter plants from the heirlooms so we can compare and figure out which is best?
what?????

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Heck yes, I would! Thanks. As I understand it, the Moth (which was once a hornworm) lays her eggs in the ground. Those eggs hatch into the Hornworm and make crawl up into the plant. Having your maters in containers (like 5gal buckets) will prevent the worms from climbing into the plant, unless your plant is dragging the ground. I believe you can also spray the plant with a light mix of Joy and water, but don't use anything with a degreaser, just plain old "Joy" and water.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Oh, yes, one tip given to me by a local with an outstanding garden, is to dig out the sand about a 2 ft deep. Then, fill about 1 ft deep with clay, then add the mushroom compost on top. The clay holds in the nutrients, where the sand would have leached the nutrients from the compost rather quickly. Be careful with the fresh mushroom compost, and let it settle out before planting, or else it will burn your plants.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Punzy, congratulations to you! You'll find nothing more satisfying or frustrating than vegetable gardening. I can't do it where I live. Too much shade in the back and mr. dd refuses to let me dig up the front yard. :roll:I loved what you said about an orderly, loved vegetable garden. Please keep us posted on how it's going.:clap:
p.s. I hate those worms too. :angry:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Apparently buried kiddy pools make great gardens; prevents weeds, holds in water, and prevents your soil from becoming sandy again.

We planted a bunch of stuff the other day. Will trade herbs, peppers, and onions for tomatoes. :wave: