• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steyou

Beach Fanatic
Feb 20, 2007
Walton County
The overcrowding I've adjusted to...it's mourning the loss of those idyllic evening strolls on the beach where I could just enjoy the sights and sounds of nature instead of watching out for the person-eating-holes-to-China, weaving in and out of the overnight Gypsy camps; and stooping over every-other-step to pick up trash. (Yeah, at one time it didn't used to be that way--even with plenty of visitors.)

I certainly understand Shelly. I was here as a child in the 60's when there was nothiing around. In the 70's I was saying "look at all those Gypsies that are coming here now". Well those 70 Gypsies and now calling themselves natives.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Ha! You never know.

I kind of feel like you today Geo. Like picking a fight. I thought this was a good topic to get heated up on.

I'm going to predict that this thread will set a new SoWal record for the most views and comments--and it will do it before the month is out.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I certainly understand Shelly. I was here as a child in the 60's when there was nothiing around. In the 70's I was saying "look at all those Gypsies that are coming here now". Well those 70 Gypsies and now calling themselves natives.

I'm wasn't talking about the 60s or 70s (although it was REALLY great back then)...I'm talking about the late 90s to early 2000s before this overnight beach junk and trash started to pile up.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I see. So popping childrens floats and cutting/slashing the tents of unwanted tourists are part of your covert activities?

No, but picking up all the crap others leave behind and filling in dangerous holes in order to keep our beaches beautiful and safe are! :wave:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
P.S. We're not hating on tourists or applauding lawlessness - it's more of a "thank gawd, that obnoxious brat finally got a spanking".

That might be the intent but not the perception which is something David Letterman learned the hard way this week.

It is one thing to applaud the message without supporting the means.

And I am sure there is much more to the story than was reported as for one thing there are always two sides.

Last edited:

steyou

Beach Fanatic
Feb 20, 2007
Walton County
I'm wasn't talking about the 60s or 70s (although it was REALLY great back then)...I'm talking about the late 90s to early 2000s before this overnight beach junk and trash started to pile up.

Pirate said it most accurately. Our area has been developed. I don't know why the stuff piles up. I can say that no matter who comes into our rentals, they do not treat them like their own homes. Maybe it is along those lines that vacationers don't understand why local feel the way they do about leaving stuff on the beach. My guess is that this will be a battle that may last forever. I would guess that most vacationers could care less about turtles. They probally would not intentionally hurt them but they could care less. My guess also is that most locals could care less about the turtles. I wonder what this thread is about??? Turtles or stuff on the beach?

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Ha! You never know.

I kind of feel like you today Geo. Like picking a fight. I thought this was a good topic to get heated up on. The Turtle lady attacks! I feel the same way about Cigarette butts. If someone throws a butt out of their car in front of me at a stop sign, I will get out of my car and place the butt back in the drivers car on their lap. Is that illegal or wrong? It sure freaks my wife out.

Haha, Bobby, I did the same thing once at the Chevron in Freeport (passenger, though, not driver). The driver AND passenger followed me into the store and started yelling at me, crazy, making no sense, till the manager of the store threw them out. Hub and sons witnessed the entire thing, speechless. Really amazing how mad people can get when you politely ask them not to trash a place.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Was the turtle nest ok? I hope so......and, I believe there is much more to this story. It will start to uncover on the 23rd, I guess.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I read in one post that a nest was disturbed. And, another post that she should have moved the items to the trash instead of trashing them.....hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.