• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
How many people realize that Jason and his crew are attempting to gain approval to expand development at Alys Beach by over a third? This will continue to put more and more stress on traveling 30 A for the only purpose of putting more cash in thier pockets.

coastal-edge

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2009
www.coastal-edge.com
How many people realize that Jason and his crew are attempting to gain approval to expand development at Alys Beach by over a third? This will continue to put more and more stress on traveling 30 A for the only purpose of putting more cash in thier pockets.

Everything I have seen at Alys Beach on 30-A has encouraged traffic calming, has been aesthetically pleasing, environmentally sound, sustainable, worthy of duplication. I haven't heard about any expansion, so I can't comment on your accuracy, but I would say that Alys Beach has been a compelling reason for the international attention of reknowned architects to come and study it.

Alys Beach is the ONLY development that has spent the time and planning effort to keep traffic off 30-A -- they have bordered 30-A on either side by traffic-calmed two-lane roads for cars.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

What are you talking about? According to the master plan it's all going to be developed. Is this perhaps just a permitting process to start on buildings on the south side of 30A that was intended and presented at the inception of the project?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
What are you talking about? According to the master plan it's all going to be developed. Is this perhaps just a permitting process to start on buildings on the south side of 30A that was intended and presented at the inception of the project?

Yes - although not sure which phase it is.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
I'm not sure who Jason and his crew are, but good for them. It seems everyone else has gotten in on the act of pillaging this area for personal and professional gain. 30A has seen better days, regardless of what developers and marketing campaigns tell you. At this point, most of what goes on out here is about jobs and money. Everybody seems to love Rosemary Beach, but a lot of these people didn't see them chain-drag the old growth forest that was there. Was it for money? Was it for a dream or vision? Who cares, it was a sad day.

coastal-edge

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2009
www.coastal-edge.com
I'm not sure who Jason and his crew are, but good for them. It seems everyone else has gotten in on the act of pillaging this area for personal and professional gain. 30A has seen better days, regardless of what developers and marketing campaigns tell you. At this point, most of what goes on out here is about jobs and money. Everybody seems to love Rosemary Beach, but a lot of these people didn't see them chain-drag the old growth forest that was there. Was it for money? Was it for a dream or vision? Who cares, it was a sad day.

"Jason and his crew"... Jason Comer founder of Alys Beach.

I love any opportunity that avails itself to talk about those who DO CARE about the environment through responsible building and sustainable practices. So, here's kudos to Alys Beach... It is one of those places where development, commerce, transportation, entertainment and nature co-exist without colliding.

... All of the below is taken directly off the Alys Beach website.
"Sustainable living means creating human spaces that exist in harmony with the environment. Sustainable practices permeate every aspect of Alys Beach. Alys Beach consistently uses the most ecologically responsible methods for community building. It's a walkable, energy-efficient community development created to be durable and storm resistant, and built using green materials and construction practices." A
A little research goes a long way... Here's a little info on what the "crew" that is referred to above has done thus far:
With most things in life, there's the way things have classically been done, and then there's the better way. Alys Beach is the better way of home building. In every step of the construction process, we look for and incorporate methods that make home building greener and more sustainable.
It all starts with choosing the right materials. Whenever possible, Alys Beach homes use natural materials such as cypress, solid poplar wood trim, coquina, raffia, sea grass and locally harvested wood. Soy-based spray-foam insulates the homes. We also use zero-VOC paints and finishes and recycled drywall, along with fewer petroleum-based products. ... Even the process of building is made greener by reusing or recycling up to 75% of construction waste.

Features such as a drip irrigation system with water coming from Lake Marilyn enhance Alys Beach's green credentials. The beautiful and relaxing Lake Marilyn, traced with Dominican shellstone coping, has been carefully designed to provide irrigation for the entire community as well as serve as an enjoyable outdoor space.
Additionally, open-tail rafters, built-in pest control, underground utilities and electric hot water heaters make each home a model of sustainability.
Even the landscaping is designed using sustainable principles. Alys Beach has forgone high-maintenance grass that requires high volumes of water, pesticides and fertilizers in favor of drought-tolerant and pest-resistant plants such as rosemary and gallberry. Whenever possible, native plants adapted to local conditions have been used. All of this conserves precious water, reduces polluting chemicals and eliminates expensive and time-consuming fertilizers and pesticides.
Alys Beach uses sparse yet effective illumination that eliminates glare, reduces energy use, preserves the night sky and minimizes light on the beach that can disturb nesting sea turtles and their hatchlings.

All of these things are possible through the employment of a full-time environmental program manager who monitors environmental conditions and oversees the environmental aspects of each home, including the construction waste management program and the use of green building materials.

The commitment to use environmentally friendly materials and practices whenever possible has made Alys Beach homes the first in Northwest Florida to be certified as green homes by the Florida Green Building Coalition.
A Walkable Layout
As a Traditional Neighborhood Development, Alys Beach situates amenities within walking distance of residences to avoid car dependence, with its traffic congestion and emissions, while promoting a sense of community. Fewer car trips results in reduced carbon emissions, fewer fossil fuels used, less money spent on gas, and lower levels of stress and obesity. A community laid out in such a way works with the environment instead of against it.
The Energy Efficiency of Each Home

Imagine harnessing the natural heat and energy from the sun instead of fighting it, and how much more efficient that makes a home. Alys Beach was built to work with the sun and sea to harness their power for unparalleled energy efficiency.

Alys Beach utilizes stark-white, poured concrete masonry construction and cement-tile roofs. Besides providing a stunning contrast with the clear blue Florida skies, the reflective pure white surfaces and thickness of roofs and walls provide excellent insulation while reflecting heat and sunlight to keep homes and neighborhoods cooler and boost energy savings. In fact, the roof tiles are touchable, only a few degrees warmer than the surrounding air.

Homes are oriented to allow passive heating and cooling from the sun and Gulf breezes. Homes use passive solar technology whenever possible, resulting in reduced energy costs and fuel consumption and less pollution.

Sustainability is more than a buzzword at Alys Beach. Alys Beach homes are designed, built and arranged in such a way as to be efficient, ecologically responsible and permanent.

Last edited:

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
I wish Alys Beach nothing but continued success. I think the only thing not sustainable in Alys Beach will be the mortgages. And by the way I know Jason, I just always spoke to him as Mr. Comer.

Last edited:

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
It is inevitable that these developments which thrive on expansion and control will always find new and resourceful ways and phrases and people to tout their need for expansion. Ultimately the goals of natural coexistence with environment, commerce, transportation, investment, finance, etc., etc., blah blah blah will be smothered by the mother of all factors - return on investment. I see few cars vusing the double car lanes paralelling 30A. It will merely turn this once small, quiet area of beach into another cheek-to-jowl Seaside existence with its crowds, cars and commerce. Just my humble opinion.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
If you want to have a fit about developers, there are quite a few I would suggest before Alys Beach.

Alys Beach continuing to slowly develop its original master plan certainly doesn't upset me. They are a great addition to the community.

Other developers clear cut sites, have been fined for a variety of environmental violations, have been involved in election fraud, follow the letter, not the spirit of the law ....................... you get the idea.

lerxst

Beach Fanatic
Jul 24, 2008

Chain drag the Old Growth Forest?? Really? I thought that area was decimated by a forest fire? Never heard about this.. Don't know any developers that would chain drag an old growth forest around here..