• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

CIA and torture

New posts
And my point is when did we ever do that????

:bang::pissed::yikes::eek::angry:

Did I leave any out?

Never. That's what I'm saying. Putting civilians in harms way is an asymetrical tactic employed by other countries against us just like torture and suicide bombing. It falls in the same category. You are justifying the use of tactics by us simply because other countries employ them against us. And I'm saying OK, then by that reasoning why not resort to using our civilians as human shields? Other countries do it against us. The correct answer is that there will always be tactics we should never use, even though other countries effectively use them against us. That comes with being the greatest strongest country on earth. I'l refrain from red state trash talk this time.
 
Never. That's what I'm saying. Putting civilians in harms way is an asymetrical tactic employed by other countries against us just like torture and suicide bombing. It falls in the same category. You are justifying the use of tactics by us simply because other countries employ them against us. And I'm saying OK, then by that reasoning why not resort to using our civilians as human shields? Other countries do it against us. The correct answer is that there will always be tactics we should never use, even though other countries effectively use them against us. That comes with being the greatest strongest country on earth. I'l refrain from red state trash talk this time.



Arguing about hypotheticals is difficult....
 
It sure is. Like the ticking time bomb scenario. To me that's the king of hypotheticals. It's very hard for me to justify so-called enhanced interrogation based on that unlikely scenario.

If it's happened to you once already, is it still hypothetical?
 
If it's happened to you once already, is it still hypothetical?

Anything that you're planning and preparing for is hypothetical, and each situation is different. If something has already happened, it means your planning and preparation has failed. Even though 9/11 did occur, yes, future time bomb scenarios are hypothetical. I believe that our current state of vigilance would have prevented 9/11 much more than any enhanced interrogation techniques. As for the future, I think employment prospects for Jack Bauer types are limited. That's just my opinion.
 
which country is the only user of atomic weapons against civilians? you speak of terrorism as it could not be applicable to you or your country.
 
What's a red state? And, why not use all of them? :idontno:

In all seriousness the idea of us using our people as human shields like other countries do is of course way over the top, but I also have similar, but not exactly the same negative thoughts about us using torture. I was just pointing out that our country is so strong we should avoid using certain tactics just because other countries use them. I used human shields as an example. A superpower would never think of doing that. The question remains, when if ever is the use of torture by a superpower justifiable. Ticking time bomb scenario? Punishment? Revenge? Extract confessions? Gives your voter base a warm fuzzy feeling? Deter future terrorist attacks? Then after that question is answered, how effective is torture in those situations? Red states are states that vote Republican :biggrin:
 
In all seriousness the idea of us using our people as human shields like other countries do is of course way over the top, but I also have similar, but not exactly the same negative thoughts about us using torture. I was just pointing out that our country is so strong we should avoid using certain tactics just because other countries use them. I used human shields as an example. A superpower would never think of doing that. The question remains, when if ever is the use of torture by a superpower justifiable. Ticking time bomb scenario? Punishment? Revenge? Extract confessions? Gives your voter base a warm fuzzy feeling? Deter future terrorist attacks? Then after that question is answered, how effective is torture in those situations? Red states are states that vote Republican :biggrin:

In the ticking time bomb scenario how would you extract information to stop the bomb? Don't tell me what you wouldn't do-------Tell me what you would do. The Army field manual now says that you can't use sleep deprivation or even loud music.
 
In the ticking time bomb scenario how would you extract information to stop the bomb? Don't tell me what you wouldn't do-------Tell me what you would do. The Army field manual now says that you can't use sleep deprivation or even loud music.

What I would do really depends how difficult it is to get the information. You asking how far I would go? Would I possibly break the law to save the earth sure? To get really hypothetical, would you torture you own mother with power drills and blow torches if it was absolutely the only way to save mankind? Just giving you a taste of your own medicine.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top