• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rlesgal

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2009
Freeport
Anybody know a scissor sharpener in our area? Crafting / sewing goes better if I'm not hacking things apart. :rotfl:

Thanks

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
604666193.jpg

For $20, you can sharpen your scissors and knifes with this gadget. I used to have one and it worked very well and was quick and easy to do. They are fairly safe, too, but don't try watching TV or feeding babies while sharpening -- Focus! or you will be in trouble.
You can buy online at Wüsthof Manual Knife & Scissors Sharpener | Williams-Sonoma
img44m.jpg

rlesgal

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2009
Freeport
604666193.jpg

For $20, you can sharpen your scissors and knifes with this gadget. I used to have one and it worked very well and was quick and easy to do. They are fairly safe, too, but don't try watching TV or feeding babies while sharpening -- Focus! or you will be in trouble.
You can buy online at W?sthof Manual Knife & Scissors Sharpener | Williams-Sonoma
img44m.jpg
I have a similar product but material scissors are not easy to get that 'edge' on them, or I'm just :bang:
Thanks for suggestion tho! and Merry Christmas!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
When you say "material scissors" do you mean the zig zag cutting scissors? If so, it would be cheaper and faster to buy a knew pair. Do like my grandma's used to do, hide them from the kids and husband, and use them only for sewing, and buy you an addistion pair of scissors for crafts.

Also, you might simply try tightening the hinge to get a better cut.

rlesgal

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2009
Freeport
LOL your Grammy smart lady! I have a skull and cross bones on mine, touch and death won't come soon enuf!
No I'm just trying to cut thru some fluffy thick stuff and no hand strength. Also novice sewing nerd, trying to do stuff WAY outta my league....just hope nieces grow out of it long before they figure out my mistakes! hehehehehe

rlesgal

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2009
Freeport
I had asked one of the quilt group ladies at church and they said there wasn't one and it was a need...maybe new line of business to start up! Lots of quilters in the area means lots of scissors to keep honed!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The only problem with that need is that it would be cheaper to buy a new pair, than to pay someone to sharpen an old pair, unless the sharpening guy just liked to flirt with the ladies.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
SJ, I don't think we're talking about the $5.99 Walmart scissors. Good scissors cost $50 or more, and should last a lifetime.

RSlegal, I think that scissor sharpening is harder to find because so many people use rotary cutters now - I have a big 60mm one that will cut through fleece. There isn't much I use my "good" scissors for anymore, so they stay pretty sharp.

You might check with hairstylists - I would imagine they use good scissors and have them sharpened.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Here4Good, you got it exactly. Good scissors should last a lifetime without the need to sharpen, as long as your kids and/or hubby don't use them to snip tin and such. If you look at the zig zag (I don't know the name for them) scissors, it seems almost impossible to sharpen each tooth, and still have it connect to the tooth on the other side. When you file down the metal, there will be less connectivity with the opposite tooth, and even if sharper, they probably won't cut. Hide your good scissors, and buy plenty of cheap scissors and make them easy for kids and hubby to find, no matter where they are in the house.

Straight-blade scissors are easy to sharpen, but not the toothy zig zag scissors.