• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Market and adjacent building on north side will be gone at the end of the year to make way for construction of Hotel Viridian.

SkinShark

Beach Lover
Aug 16, 2012
It amazes me that Walton county does not take action to protect our historic buildings. We are not in shortage of amazing architects, you would think we would celebrate the life of Ed Walline and what he did to build our little community. He figured out how to build those little concrete block structures with a low lying roof, that are barely visible anymore along 30A. It saddens me that we are losing those classic beach front homes at a rapid pace. It really broke my heart when the TDC was looking for new offices in conjunction with the demolition of the Seagrove Villas. And now this.

What if we just quit building and left it the way it is? I find nothing wrong with what we have. Exactly how many days a year are we at 100% capacity anyway? Is it really necessary to have more hotel rooms? Doesn't that just bring more traffic?

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Hate to hear that. Every time a older structure is removed, you lose character, history, stories, memories, association. I guess the new buildings will eventually have that but it takes a while. At least 30a is not full 20 story hotels because I wouldn't be coming there if it did. Ellen

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
There is always much derision and complaints about what the BCC does but never any compliments. Well, here's one. One of the best things the BCC ever did was establish the 50' limit for buildings along 30A and the coast. A big THUMBS UP to the BCC for this one.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Greed beats charm and history far too often. Goodbye to another funky and iconic building. :wave:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
To clarify it's just the building right or is the business going away as well?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Way back, three or four years ago, when they presented their plans for the hotel / condominiums, the plan included some shops , including the village market.

But, things change

SkinShark

Beach Lover
Aug 16, 2012
Anybody out there have any statistics in how many weeks we are at 100% capacity per a year. We are not in a shortage for hotel rooms. With more rooms we bring more traffic, which we are already having a issue with. The difference is a private company comes and and builds, then the tax payers have to pay for the streets etc. As a taxpayer I am not happy paying for anymore road explanation or parking lots. It's fine the way it is. Leave it alone. Supply and Demand::the amount of a commodity, product, or service available and the desire of buyers for it, considered as factors regulating its price. We are turning into PCB.