• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Also Andy, for someone (you) who didn't attend school board meetings you obviously never saw the board rubber stamp every decision Ms. Anderson made with no questions asked. That's not what they were elected for and we all know it.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
And just so you know rapunzel, I did offer to get involved early on when I was totally inclined to vote yes. jdarg and I had corresponded privately via msgs here. Once Bob Hudson got involved she promptly quit msging me back and any questions or responses I asked/made were promptly taken as a personal character assassination on her part.

My lack of response had nothing to do with Bob, and and more to do with your refusal to participate as a "real" person than just someone always posting negative things on SoWal. Real people got responses and actively participated in the campaign in the real word, using their real names, and I am thankful for them.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
My lack of response had nothing to do with Bob, and and more to do with your refusal to participate as a "real" person than just someone always posting negative things on SoWal. Real people got responses and actively participated in the campaign in the real word, using their real names, and I am thankful for them.

Had you bothered to respond all your insecurities about who I am would have been addressed. For now, its still not relevant. I have to live and work here too.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
We tried. But when your major means of communication are via letters to the editor, limited to 225 words, it is tough. I think the autopsy of the situation demonstrates that we did articulate the message south of the bay and all the articulating in the world in the rural north wouldn't have changed anything.

As I noted above, the only other thing we could have done different was go door to door for votes. Otherwise, our only other tactic that could have been used, and some wanted to but we didn't because we wanted to take the high road, was to take off the gloves and play dirty. That may have garnered a few more votes, but in retrospect, I'm glad we kept it a clean effort we can be proud of. Unlike many in the 'no' camp, politics isn't our lifeblood, so we didn't see a need to be jerks and divide the county further.

What would you suggest we could have done?

I think more stories about the failures of the current system in Walton County would have been nice. I think it would have been good to have a website describing what makes a good school board and a competent superindendent. Just something with basic info for the uninitiated complete with a FAQ. Also, any time you talk about the topic online, assume that at least one person reading it doesn't have a clue, so don't be afraid to repeat something that may seem simple and basic. That's how you educate people. I used to read the WSJ, and every article on finance, no matter how advanced, always takes the time to explain the basics.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I have to live and work here too.

And this, in a nutshell, is so telling. Everyone I talked to in north county said some variation of this. Why are people scared to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed right to free speech without fear of governmental retribution? The very fact that people feel they can't embrace a new approach because "they have to live and work here" Is scary to me. I just do not understand what people are afraid of. And if it's the fear of retribution...that is exactly what this referendum was trying to end.

The status quo which benefits a very select few is preserved.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
And this, in a nutshell, is so telling. Everyone I talked to in north county said some variation of this. Why are people scared to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed right to free speech without fear of governmental retribution? The very fact that people feel they can't embrace a new approach because "they have to live and work here." Well, I just do not understand what people are afraid of. And the fear if retribution...that is exactly what this referendum was trying to end.

The status quo which benefits a very select few is preserved.

Have you ever been thrown in jail in this county because of your "constitutionally guaranteed right to free speech without fear of governmental retribution"? I have! Have your children ever been pulled over in this county by law enforcement and been told they were speeding when you know in fact they weren't? Mine were!

When you have fought the system legally and personally witnessed vulgar displays of retribution you do tend to be a little gun-shy. I know what county government is capable of and I know what county government gets away with doing to an electorate that has been dumbed down for decades!

Last edited:

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
Have you ever been thrown in jail in this county because of your "constitutionally guaranteed right to free speech without fear of governmental retribution"? I have! !

don't confuse your right to 'free speech' with a non-existent right to force people to listen
Misty, what was the exact charge? not just another irrelevant another opinion

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Local ... If you are referring to me as being part of some group you are very wrong. I only know a few people here , mostly retired neighbors who have recently moved here . We do not discuss politics.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I think more stories about the failures of the current system in Walton County would have been nice. I think it would have been good to have a website describing what makes a good school board and a competent superindendent. Just something with basic info for the uninitiated complete with a FAQ. Also, any time you talk about the topic online, assume that at least one person reading it doesn't have a clue, so don't be afraid to repeat something that may seem simple and basic. That's how you educate people. I used to read the WSJ, and every article on finance, no matter how advanced, always takes the time to explain the basics.

Thanks for an honest and good response. We did attempt to point out the district's shortcomings as far as actual outcomes go (to contrast No's constant attempt to elevate the district based on the bogus 'A district' award). But realize, we went to great lengths to not make the referendum about Carlene or the teachers per se, but about the process. Again, we could have gotten into the mud and attacked Carlene's well publicized shortcomings but didn't want to go there, nor did we want to look like we were bashing all the hard working teachers and school staff.

Point well taken about the basics. You are correct. I personally flipped no to yes with several people by simply educating them regarding the fact that Florida is the only state where more districts elect than appoint, and outcomes data shows higher achievement in appointed districts.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Have you ever been thrown in jail in this county because of your "constitutionally guaranteed right to free speech without fear of governmental retribution"? I have! Have your children ever been pulled over in this county by law enforcement and been told they were speeding when you know in fact they weren't? Mine were!

When you have fought the system legally and personally witnessed vulgar displays of retribution you do tend to be a little gun-shy. I know what county government is capable of and I know what county government gets away with doing to an electorate that has been dumbed down for decades!

Well, Misty, that if very frightening. But the only thing that can stop a bully is for someone to stand up and say no. And I can assure there were times we felt like everything we said was twisted or taken out of context. My guess is that was probably why people may have been afraid to communicate with without knowing who you were. Please understand there were times we were frightened by some of the tactics. But I promise you, there was no intent to be disrespectful. We certainly weren't perfect messengers sometimes. But we were just trying to float an idea that we thought would make county government work a little more efficiently for all the county's kids. End of story.