• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
Truman,

Would you start a Facebook page so that more people that don't want new access to Topsail can hear about this, and ACT? I believe the reach would be further than just SoWal forum alone, and the word can get out much faster.

And please post that Facebook page once it's up.

I am writing Sine A. Murray now....

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Truman,

Would you start a Facebook page so that more people that don't want new access to Topsail can hear about this, and ACT? I believe the reach would be further than just SoWal forum alone, and the word can get out much faster.

And please post that Facebook page once it's up.

I am writing Sine A. Murray now....

business facebook pages get almost no reach, unless paid advertising goes into it. but there is a Walton County facebook group that is discussing the issue at length. you must request to be a member. it's a good group of concerned citizens but rather small segment of pretty involved citizens from South Walton, mostly of the same opinions.

all these options are good, in addition to SoWal Forum. I imagine there are endless comments on Walton Sun articles? I don't know though - I don't really follow it.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
Either not enough Walton County citizens who are opposed to this have not spoken up,
or the commissioners are just ignoring the people. Is there not ONE commissioner opposed to this?

there's no chance there's a third choice? perhaps there are more people who are for more access than you imagine????

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Who would be for taking state land and giving it to a small subdivision? That's what this is clearly about. Somebody on the BCC or the TDC owes someone a favor or lives in that subdivision.

Facebook is a mess. This website is where it's at. :bow:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
there's no chance there's a third choice? perhaps there are more people who are for more access than you imagine????

I don't think most oppose more access to the beach.. it's just the preservation of our State Park that's such a concern here. It is a preserve for a reason.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
I'm not going to try to sell any of you on the idea, it's not my job.

But replacing a well worn cut thru the dunes that exists now with a
dune walkover on the very edge of the park is hardly starting a strip mine.

It won't pass, but it's not because of genuine concern for the environment,
but because of the we got ours so close the door behind us mentality...

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
When you think about it, it would actually be a cleaner entrance than the main access with it's miles of paved roads. Then you finally get to a stopping 2500 ft. from the beach where you can no longer drive. At that point you have the option of either walking close to 1/2 mile in the heat or waiting for a shuttle to get to the beach. If there was ever a state preserve that seems to discourage people from having a beach experience, this is it.

Last edited:

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I'm not going to try to sell any of you on the idea, it's not my job.

But replacing a well worn cut thru the dunes that exists now with a
dune walkover on the very edge of the park is hardly starting a strip mine.

It won't pass, but it's not because of genuine concern for the environment,
but because of the we got ours so close the door behind us mentality...

It's a slippery slope. This is just one small instance of protecting park land that goes back generations. Thank goodness thoughtful people usually prevail or our protected lands would all erode from short sighted thinking like yours.