• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Walton homeowners file suit to stop beach renourishment: http://t.co/SpZ6BusNkv http://t.co/AVcE8LdqS6

A coalition of Walton County beachfront property owners have filed a federal lawsuit accusing local government officials of plotting to put inferior sand on their pristine beaches.

Tammy and Lionel Alford allege in the suit that they, as beachfront property owners, will “suffer damages in excess of $75,000” if the county is allowed to proceed with a beach nourishment plan.

“The county’s plan to import off-color, shell-laden sand to their property infringes on their private property rights and will degrade the quality of the beach,” a news release announcing the filing of the lawsuit said.

DOCUMENT: Read the lawsuit

The Alfords’ names are the only ones that appear on the lawsuit, which was filed Wednesday in Pensacola, but many others have joined them in opposition to the nourishment plan, said Herbie Thiele, spokesman for the group.

“There are a bunch of beach owners,” Thiele said. “And we get new ones every day.”

The lawsuit is critical of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ plan to obtain the sand for the project from an offshore borrow area.

It says the sand selected does not match the crystal white color of the existing beaches of South Walton and contains more shell fragments.

It alleges the county is willing to violate its own ordinances and go against its own marketing strategies to put the inferior sand on the beach and calls for an order obligating the county to abide permanently by its White Sand Protection Restrictions.

Walton TDC Director Jim Bagby said the Alfords’ attorney, Kent Safriet, apparently failed to fully read the county’s ordinance.

He specifically cited the section regarding exemptions to the protection restrictions.

“Beach and dune restoration projects conducted by Walton County are exempt from this ordinance as they serve the public interest by providing protection to public and private lands, infrastructure, natural areas and the economy of Walton County,” section 4.07/08 says.

Bagby said the state’s Department of Environmental Protection has approved the quality of the sand to be used for the nourishment project.

Last edited by a moderator:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Good for them!

Private Property Rights is not an easy thing to understand (just ask Andy A.)

Beach Renourishment will face strong opposition from many beach front owners.

TDC needs to really step back and focus most of their "efforts" on ensuring all vacation rentals are paying bed tax!

They are not.

(Why is this info not allowed to be released to the public?)

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Anyone against it must not have been here in the middle of the last decade and seen the storm damage.

Beach nourishment is a very detailed process and the sand matches what we have. I doubt there will be many who object. If they do then it won't stop the process.

The real problem is all the illegal sea walls on the beach. If we have a storm before beach restoration this area is over as a beach destination. Most beachfront owners want more sand. They know their property is in serious jeopardy without it.

Rachael Ashman McKee

Beach Lover
May 21, 2012
Seacrest
I believe I read somewhere that the sand initially won't be the same color but will bleach out. Did I dream this up or does anyone remember reading this?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I believe I read somewhere that the sand initially won't be the same color but will bleach out. Did I dream this up or does anyone remember reading this?

I saw the west end operation in February 2006 (see photos) and it's a fascinating and scary sight seeing wet, brown sand covering the beach. It takes awhile to dry out, then it gets lighter, then white. Check out Miramar Beach and Destin sand quality to see what the future holds. It's all added sand there. Check out Panama City Beach sand to see what it looks like when you're not too picky about borrow areas, and have done it more than once.

Be very concerned about sand quality on the beach. Be assured that Walton County cares and has done its homework. And it has experience.

Photos - http://sowal.com/photos/western-walton-county-beach-restoration-project

060222-beachrestoration-040.jpg

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Something tells me the suit is more about retaining private beach ownership (since new beach added becomes public) rather than the color of the sand. ;)

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Bottom Line: this must be done at some point. No debating that. If we wait until nature totally reclaims her beach, tax payers eat the bill. This project approved and guaranteed ( key word Guaranteed for like 50 years+/- ) by the fed
Picks up majority of cost. : wake up :

ktape

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2007
Beach front homeowners lose nothing. Their boundary doesn't change at all. Adding depth to the beach to prot ct the coastline People that have the most seem to be the ones that are the most selfish. Those that decline to sign the easement have no regard for the exposure their neighbors will suffer.
Those that were allowed to armor their property (many illegally) and refuse to do what is necessary to help protect their neighbors are the worst of the lot.
I can only hope that when the next storm comes and lays waste to coastal properties those that refuse to help protect the beach will not be provided any taxpayer relief if their house falls in the Gulf.

Jackalope

Beach Lover
Jan 24, 2015
It's been a while since a major storm has hit our area. I wonder how all the new development will hold up against something like Opal. It's easy to get complacent when the storm activity has been relatively mild in the past several years. I also wonder if the folks that are relatively new to the area understand how vulnerable we are if a hurricane hits.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
It's been a while since a major storm has hit our area. I wonder how all the new development will hold up against something like Opal. It's easy to get complacent when the storm activity has been relatively mild in the past several years. I also wonder if the folks that are relatively new to the area understand how vulnerable we are if a hurricane hits.
May be some old pictures of these negative nellies back yards from 10-20 years ago would change their minds?