• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
What is the purpose of the white posts stuck in the sand near the dunes that say Beach Vender Zone? I live in Seagrove and have noticed these things all up and down the beach--two rows of them. Makes our beaches look UN-approachable.
Really...how tacky can the county get?:dunno:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
What is the purpose of the white posts stuck in the sand near the dunes that say Beach Vender Zone? I live in Seagrove and have noticed these things all up and down the beach--two rows of them. Makes our beaches look UN-approachable. Really...how tacky can the county get?:dunno:
please please post a pic...worth a thousand words.....

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Earlier today I spoke with Jeff of Beach Code Enforcement (thank you so much Steel1man for his contact info!). He is so super nice and working very hard to get the beach vendor issues resolved. Those posts were put up by Beach Enforcement to help lasso the vendors. They can only set up within in these areas, period. Just as expected, when we arrived back in Seagrove last week the problem with the beach chair vendors is worse than ever. They have taken up 4 deep all in front of One Seagrove, leaving a tiny space for the rest of us to the east of One Seagrove, followed by another beach vendor setup of about half dozen or so more beach chair sets. Then next to that are two side by side self-proclaimed private beaches with signs. We had family visit this week and we pretty much just set up chairs at the shoreline in feet of the private beach chairs (which by the way is a string of chairs, 90% empty from morning till evening) I specifically asked Jeff about this. He said that, by the end of this week, the vendors will be forced to take up no more than 50 % of a beach access area. He went on to say that even if One Seagrove gives the vendor permission to set up in front of their units, the beach belongs to the county and the vendors may ONLY take up 50% of that area. So by this Friday, in front of One Seagrove vendors should ONLY be taking up half of the area in front of One Seagrove. I asked about the the "private" beach frontage. He said if we are using roughly the southern 1/3 of the beach in front of a "private" beach, we are fine. He said a good rule of thumb is to look where the seaweed/grass line is and stay south of that. To get back to the posts that have shown up, that is the county's way of keeping the vendors where they belong. Sad that they have to resort to this, but hopefully it will help. If not a phone call to Jeff will! He is quick to respond. When I called him, he was on another call but without my even leaving a message, he expediently returned my call. I highly recommend others keep his phone number handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks Luvthebeach, Very good information. Glad to hear that code enforcement is working through the issue.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
May be wrong but pretty sure Bay County and PCB have a set back for vendors. I've heard it like 20'/30' set back, instead SOWAL beach vending ordinance says something like," set ups must be a reasonable distance from surf ". Reasonable Distance is a Cop-Out by county ..... make it 20' and then enforce it. Reasonable Distance can't be enforced!! These guys set up empty umbrellas a few feet from surf and most just sit there all day empty...again, the Vendor tail is wagging the SOWAL dog..

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think the posts are a terrible idea for many reasons including turtles and safety.

Also, how is it that the vendor problem is worse than ever now?

Jeff is going to be a busy guy. I hope there's more than one Jeff...

I can't believe vendors can take 50% of a beach.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
I think the posts are a terrible idea for many reasons including turtles and safety.

Also, how is it that the vendor problem is worse than ever now?

Jeff is going to be a busy guy. I hope there's more than one Jeff...

I can't believe vendors can take 50% of a beach.

I agree that 50% is too much.

Apparently vendors are doing what they want, figuring there's no enforcement. They put chairs out with tags and then claim people just didn't show up. I also think they are probably not happy about the county trying to limit them and may be acting out.

I was on Grayton Beach last night well past dark and there were quite a few still set up.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
Whatever happened to only setting up chairs that have been ordered by someone who plans to use them? I contracted with a service for 2 chairs and 1 umbrella for the summer for my vacation rental house. It is tagged with the name of the house so my renters can find them and use them.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Whatever happened to only setting up chairs that have been ordered by someone who plans to use them? I contracted with a service for 2 chairs and 1 umbrella for the summer for my vacation rental house. It is tagged with the name of the house so my renters can find them and use them.

The game has changed. Now there is too much competition for space, and among vendors.

The county got caught flat footed and is trying to get out in front of it but seems they aren't being strong enough.

This is what happens in the evolution of a community. In order to control businesses you have to regulate them. Which means put in place controls and roadblocks to limit the number of vendors. This means conflict. The community has to be vocal about what it wants so the politicians and bureaucrats have courage to do the right thing.

Solar Steve

Beach Comber
Sep 27, 2014
Same problem at Ed Walline! Should have some borders at beach line then go back rows deep if they want to set up more chairs! (Tags on chairs are mostly a decoy!!) Most times I am there, chairs never used...
Still need defined & ENFORCED RULES/REGULATIONS!
Locals don't "count" only tourist do on "public beaches. Been here 12 years and what a mess!
All for small businesses, but I have/should have just as much access to the beach as another guy. (Plus I pay local home taxes which I know is more than beach chair guys do!)
Quiet days at the beach are long gone. End the TDC. This place is just too small for the over-crowding, no parking, trash on the beach, etc. Don't destroy your only asset (The beaches!).
GREED ALWAYS WINS...
"Have a nice day in Paradise."
Note: This is just my opinions/comments, if you don't like it, don't read it!