• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Looks like Jim Bagby beat C. Jones to the punch on this one.

20 week severance... Nice.

C. Jones should practice what she preaches when it comes to playing favorites with County Employees....

Bagby resigns as Walton TDC director

Jim Bagby has stepped down as the executive director of the Walton County Tourist Development Council.

He will leave the job he has held for two years Oct. 16 and departs with a severance package that pays 20 weeks salary plus accrued vacation and sick leave.

Bagby announced his decision to resign Tuesday at the Walton County Commission meeting. Commissioner Cecilia Jones had requested an item be added to the meeting agenda to allow her to call for Bagby’s immediate termination, but his spot in the meeting sequence came first.

Jones has argued for a month that Bagby should be forced out of his job. She claimed that he went around the commission’s back to provide a substantial unauthorized raise to one of his TDC employees. Others on the board had expressed agreement.

The vote to allow Bagby to resign was 3-1, with Jones voting against. Commissioner Cindy Meadows was not present at the meeting.

Jones said she believed issues surrounding incoming Restore Act funds, economic development issues and anticipated changes to the way the TDC operates required “a quicker transition” than Bagby’s October departure will allow.

Though he may have lost the confidence of a majority of the county’s governing board, Bagby obviously remained popular with county staff. He exchanged handshakes and hugs with several county staffers on his way out the door.

“This is a good outcome for the county and for my family,” said Bagby. “If I had wanted to stay, I would have fought. I negotiated a severance because it was in everybody’s best interest.”

He said if he had any regrets about his sometimes turbulent run at TDC director it was that he hadn’t communicated his successes well enough.

“We need to communicate better with the citizens of Walton County about the things we are doing,” he said. “The citizens of South Walton tell us all we do is bring too many people here and we don’t do anything for the infrastructure. That’s the furthest thing from the truth and I wish I could have communicated that better.”

He cited the TDC’s work to add hiking and biking opportunities, improve beach access, increase the amount of available parking and conserve and protect the environment as sometimes overlooked achievements.

Bagby said he leaves with some regret, but is also proud of what the Walton County TDC was able to accomplish in his time there. Assistant County Administrator Stan Sunday was appointed to help the TDC transition to new leadership in the time before Bagby leaves.

“I’m a firm believer that every time a door closes another one opens,” Bagby said. “I believe another door will open for me.”

Last edited by a moderator:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Best news I've heard in a long time.
That, and Barry Davis did get the death penalty this afternoon. But that's another thread.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Ask just about any employee of the TDC or, for that matter, any of the County departments that deals with him. Also, I didn't want a monorail running up and down the beach (not that it would happen but the idea that he would talk about it with a straight face), and I am gravely concerned with the TDC thinking that they need to continue to explore new markets when it's a zoo down here as it is.

Robert D

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2008
www.seasidefl.com
I thought the monorail thing was a joke. I agree the TDC needs to focus more on making this a nice place to be rather than advertising. Sites like SoWal.com and SeasideFL.com get more than enough visitors here. One gorgeous photo on this site is worth a thousand visits. The TDC is from another era. As is the case with bureaucracy throughout history, it is easy to grow and hard to prune.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Actually I think the TDC has been too progressive for our area since Dawn was the Director. It's a very strong TDC due to its massive revenue and BP dollars and yes leadership. But without a strong government to support the SoWal area we'll never be able to support infrastructure or growing tourism, much less a growing full time population of families. Strong TDC plus a county level government. Disaster.

The TDC needs to be strong to handle our tourism but with different goals. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The problem with the TDC is that those on the TDC board represent bed tax collectors and naturally they want more and richer customers. Meanwhile the BCC represents the residents who vote and they want more and better amenities and less crowding on the roadways and beaches. So you end up with cross purposes.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Danny, a very good succinct analysis of what goes on in Walton County. We in the South do not need stronger government, we need better directed government.