• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
That's right, there's apparently a movement afoot to ban any and all beach fires.

Why? Well because a few people have illegal bonfires and some have simply dumped the contents of their burn barrels in the sand.

My question for the county is where is the enforcement? Bonfires aren't 5 minute occurrences, they take time to even get a fire started on the beach in any amount of wind. So where are the PAID enforcers? I personally have yet to have a bonfire and not have a deputy, code enforcement or even once, an actual fireman, request my permit.

If you are opposed to the ending of a tradition that dates back to Native Americans, please email info@swfd.org along with your county commissioners.

District 1
Bill Chapman
chabill@co.walton.fl.us
835-4860
District 2
Cecilia Jones
joncecilia@co.walton.fl.us
892-4020
District 3
Bill Imfeld
imfbill@co.walton.fl.us
892-4204
District 4
Sara Comander
comsara@co.walton.fl.us
835-4834
District 5
Cindy Meadows
meacindy@co.walton.fl.us
231-2978

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
So once again rude and inconsiderate people are ruining it for the law abiding folks!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That's just ridiculous. Bonfires are already difficult enough, getting permit, the right container, etc. Clean up is essential of course and can be easily tracked or enforced, if needed, through permitting. More and more we have to getaway to the east to enjoy the wild beaches with our dogs and bonfires.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I thought the whole reason for the permits was so they could squash any non-permitting bonfires and have a record in case someone left a mess.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Once again there is that word - ENFORCEMENT...

Finally, people are realizing there is none. No enforcement causes offenders to break rules as there are no consequences.

Many Condo Associations have documented (quite well) numerous violation of the burn barrel issue (being left on beach, dumping out burnt wood in dunes, etc.). SWFD tracks the permits but enforcement is not their responsibility. It's TDC Code Enforcement...

I don't know where the enforcers are, but they are not doing their jobs and this was a talking point this entire summer.

Don't know if anyone noticed, but Publix started selling a portable, do it your self, bonfire kit at the entrances...

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I doubt there is an easy or even a good solution. Which usually means eliminating the problem by banning. Maybe the fee should be higher, education and enforcement could be afforded. And/or have the TDC be responsible for cleanup on occasions where jerks don't do it for themselves.

The fact is we have to get control of our beaches. They need to be public, and well taken care of. Regular litter cleanups, holes filled, items removed, no signs, and very few vendors (if any). Our beaches should be highest priority. I don't know why they aren't taken care of as well as our State Parks. Let's hire beach rangers!

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
I doubt there is an easy or even a good solution. Which usually means eliminating the problem by banning. Maybe the fee should be higher, education and enforcement could be afforded. And/or have the TDC be responsible for cleanup on occasions where jerks don't do it for themselves.

The fact is we have to get control of our beaches. They need to be public, and well taken care of. Regular litter cleanups, holes filled, items removed, no signs, and very few vendors (if any). Our beaches should be highest priority. I don't know why they aren't taken care of as well as our State Parks. Let's hire beach rangers!
Excellent suggestions. How do we get these things done?

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
We already have "beach rangers" and spend millions on personnel and equipment to patrol and maintain our beaches.

Is there actually a problem with bonfires, or are people just complaining? Since a bonfire is very visible and lasts for hours I find it ridiculous that there isn't adequate enforcement.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
A public records request will get you all of the citations written by code enforcement. Few if any are ever actual citations, with most being warnings. Odds are amazingly good that if it is a citation it's a local.

Again I don't know why the TDC is policing the beaches it sells. I'm sure there's a fear that the idiot tourist with a bonfire surrounded by dogs and people drinking from glass might not come back if they're fined and I'm cool with that.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
A public records request will get you all of the citations written by code enforcement. Few if any are ever actual citations, with most being warnings. Odds are amazingly good that if it is a citation it's a local.

Again I don't know why the TDC is policing the beaches it sells. I'm sure there's a fear that the idiot tourist with a bonfire surrounded by dogs and people drinking from glass might not come back if they're fined and I'm cool with that.

Matt J:

110% right on the money on this one. The TDC Code Enforcement Officers are really good at issuing "Warnings".

They go so far to actually relocate the offending vendor to a less visible location to issue the "warning" so the touron's don't see it.

I've watched this take place at Ed Walline where they relocate to Gulf Place parking lot, behind the bank.

They are quick to hit the locals in the pocket book. How about some equal enforcement?