• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

StepfordWife

Beach Comber
Sep 14, 2012
It was noticeable at Rosemary Beach yesterday, everyone in my group had symptoms. Also noticed nearly everyone around us coughing. It was not there today.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Storm might have brought it inshore. North wind that started yesterday probably keeping it off the beach for now.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Please explain. Have heard of it but haven't 'had the chance' to suffer from it:) We were there, 1st week in September and had the fly issue for the first time. Just returned last Wed 21st and only a brief fly issue - bought Cactus Juice - stopped in a Seacrest Sundries to say hi to Larry:)

We had another wonderful trip except for the 5 bad couples, 2 of which are now homeowners. Went to Seagrove Market and bought tshirts (we were born the same year:). Noted Shorty's closing and Bodega still closed. Noticed Rosemary didn't allow golf carts anymore - except employees. They've really been busy these past view years. People staying there may have gotten tired of going all the way to Seaside as well as those staying in PCB must stop there now. Noticed north of 30A, the torn down retail/restaurant/bike shop. Saw Alys Beach was building - sure sign things are continuing to improve? Tried getting Perfect Pig food to go - no luck. First time, we were discouraged from getting it - one table outside, 3 inside, no one at bar. Next day, we were asked to move so they could seat people at the bar. (We were at the end of it but I guess not enough out of the way. Maybe the visit the vibe will be better.) Noticed the expensive new shopping opportunities (for others) at 98/30A across from Shades. No more Spicey Noodle.
Had almost perfect water several days, then red flag for the last two. Very quiet at the east end of Seaside. Noticed signs at Coleman Pavilion that no one under 21 allowed on beach after 10:00 pm unless with adult.

Ellen

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Red Tide | SoWal.com - Insider's Guide for South Walton Beaches & Scenic 30A

Red Tide

MyFWC.com
A red tide is a higher-than-normal concentration of a microscopic alga (plant-like organism). In Florida, the species that causes most red tides is Karenia brevis (K. brevis).

Red Tide Current Status
FWC reports on the current status of Karenia brevis blooms using tables, static maps, and interactive Google Earth maps. Archived status maps can be found in our Flickr gallery.
Red Tide FAQ
Do you have questions about Florida's red tide? Find the answers here.

Red Tide occurs just about every year but rarely lasts longer than a week or two. Some people are very sensitive to it and can have severe upper respiratory symptoms. I have been tasting it in the air, even smelling it, but definitely coughing and feeling a certain burn in my chest that is only from Red Tide. Some never really notice it, and some are very affected.

Last edited by a moderator: