• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LarsAtTheBeach

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2008
We had a home in Crystal Beach (Destin) that was on septic. I built it new in 1993. When sewer came on our street we were required to hookup within one year.
Maybe a Destin specific ordinance?
Sure seems like a good idea to me?
Again, as in many SoWal threads...
WHERE IS THE LEADERSHIP???

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
There are photos on this website of exposed septic tanks, after a hurricane, on the beach on Gulf Shore Drive just west of Grayton Beach. My guess is the effluent flowing through the sand continues to this day. There is no excuse for this scenario.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Teresa...no disrespect but who do you call when you need police? You do have a BCC member who has also fought for all of you but she is one voice.

This website gives us an opportunity to make a somewhat informed decision about who we vote for along with attending BCC meetings and watching what these people do and vote for that is not in your best interests. You know as do most of us who has developers in their back pockets (or front ones) and you certainly know who has agendas as far as beach vending goes.

You also know because of the grand jury investigation that money went missing and who was in charge of County financing and it wasn't just the auditor we have kept on payroll after those missing funds were discovered. That ex finance director is running again!

Accountability is a 2 way street and if people don't demand it from their elected officials and keep voting for the garbage that continues to be recycled in this county then they have no reason to expect anything different.

A new broom sweeps clean.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Yes. Cindy Meadows has mostly been an excellent ONE voice for South Walton. That's it. I appreciate her knowledge and experience. Will continue to support her. But it's just not nearly enough.

Our public safety is pretty much covered well. Can we do better with a police presence? Yes. I think we could.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Yes. Cindy Meadows has mostly been an excellent ONE voice for South Walton. That's it. I appreciate her knowledge and experience. Will continue to support her. But it's just not nearly enough.

Our public safety is pretty much covered well. Can we do better with a police presence? Yes. I think we could.

The Sheriff just did his weekly online video (mostly all done from places in SoWal) where he has said they are hiring. I think the police could do better just in general but I have never had an issue with them not showing up when I've had to make a call. I may not have liked or agreed with the outcome but I think politics plays to big a part in law enforcement in general and it shouldn't.

Have you talked to the other Commissioners and do you understand their position on beach vending? You actually have 2 on your side that I know of but if C. Jones manages to get T. Anderson elected you are screwed. That's a fact! And it's a very dangerous alliance.

Bill Chapman wouldn't even vote yes on the removal of signs, chains, ropes and fences so he's not really (in my opinion) sympathetic to the beach vendor issue either. The only hope the South has of even challenging this issue is to get one more voice on the BCC other than Imfield.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Was joking with hubby---the word would get out easily, as to which areas are unhealthy areas, by just hanging a brown flag with the other beach condition flags! :nono:
Yes! We need a brown flag! Please SWFD. :)

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Miramar Beach Access Health Advisory Lifted, Blue Mountain Beach Access Health Advisory Still In Effect Wednesday.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
BEACH HEALTH ADVISORY UPDATE JULY 1, 2016
New Health Advisory Update from the Florida Department of Health.

The Health Advisory for the Blue Mountain Beach Access has been lifted. The water quality in this area has improved considerably due to the reduction in bacteria levels.

• Water quality classifications are based upon United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) recommended criteria and Florida Healthy Beaches Program Categories:

Good = 0 - 35 Enterococci CFU per 100 ml of marine

• Blue Mountain Beach Access levels are now reported as:

4 CFU per 100 ml of marine water.

The Florida Department of Health in Walton County (DOH-Walton) has not issued “no swim advisories” for any the beaches in Walton County. DOH-Walton has issued health advisories at specific beaches due to elevated sample levels of a bacteria called enterococci. Enterococci is not flesh eating bacteria. It is bacteria that normally inhabits the intestinal tract of humans and animals. It may cause human disease, infections, or rashes, but for the vast majority of people, the risk of serious illness is minimal.
An otherwise healthy person may have no problems with contact with the water of a beach that is under advisory. Some may experience a minor inflammation of a cut, a mild sore throat or mild diarrhea after exposure to water from a beach under a health advisory. The greatest risk is for very young children, the elderly and people who have compromised immune systems since their ability to fight off infection is limited by age or disease. It is important to understand that a “health advisory” is not the same as a “no swim advisory.”

The national media is calling Vibrio vulnificus a “flesh eating bacteria.” That is incorrect. Vibrio vulnificus is naturally occurring along U.S. coastlines and infections from this bacteria (are) rare. We have not had a confirmed case of a Vibrio vulnificus infection in Walton County this year.
If you should have any questions, please contact DOH-Walton at (850) 892-8021 or visit the Florida Department of Health’s Beach Water Quality website
Healthy Environments | Florida Department of Health

We will continue to rely on the Florida Department of Health's sampling and their results and we will continue to post the most recent results as soon as we receive them.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
New construction is required to hook up to septic and sewer. When we built our home 12 years ago, we hooked up but had to pay additional for 300 feet of pipe from the meter box to our home.
Meanwhile, my neighbor/cousin still has his septic tanks and uses our well (an arrangement between my dad and his mom, long deceased). He was interested in hooking up, but at a cost of nearly $10K, he decided that eating was more important.
Anyone know what the cost is now for an existing dwelling to connect to Regional Utilities?