• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
I just copied this off Facebook from the Walton Groups Visioning page.

Disclaimer

OPINION, (you can make your own after reading the documents)

Michael Adkinson and Stan Sunday

To understand the current stance of law enforcement and how that relates to the BCC, a short history lesson is required.

In the 80’s and into the nineties in Walton County there were 2 kinds of law, Quinn law and George Ralph law. Quinn had a death grip on the Walton Sheriffs office and Georg Ralph called all the shots at the county. George Ralph did business as he saw fit and if Quinn had a problem with you, he would put his trained sic’ em dog, “Big bill Chapman” to take care of you.

In the days before social media, as long as you controlled what went in the paper and on the AM radio, you could keep corruption and wrong doings by connected people quiet. Communication in humans living in Walton began to increase with the population and as property values rose, so did the value of elected officials.

Enter 2000, when the unthinkable happened….Quinn lost the election! Rumors of his corruption had been spreading rapidly and he was poorly spoken and so is and was his undersheriff. Locals never expected Johnson to win, they thought Quinn would be replaced by another “Insider”. Johnson was not an Insider, but rather had cut his law enforcement teeth for a career in the FHP. It became immediately clear to the insiders, that Johnson would not play the local “Game” and in 2004 he would be defeated and it would be back to business as usual.

By his own admission, Johnson said he was naïve about all the local corruption, but after 4 years at the helm, he started to know the deal and take action. This

made people nervous and although there were some good local cops, it was clear that no single cop had the recognition of Quinn and anybody who was wouldn’t play ball or was poorly spoken. The insiders quickly looked to replace Ralph with something they could control, a family member. Mike Adkinson had gone to Tallahassee to be a cop and learn. Mike was well spoken and had made lots of connections in Tally and with his uncle being an ex-state attorney and his cousin forming a law office with his uncle. Everyone knew who an Adkinson was and that was what they needed. Mike was soon elected as a police chief but still few knew him personally, beside s the insiders and the Freeport gang.

Ralph had looked around his department and had found someone he thought was strong enough to deal with some of this and made Sunday his number 2. Adkinson looked to bolster his reputation against crime, but that would be limited to the city limits with his current authority. Rumors got back to Johnson that Adkinson was manipulating information apparently for attention and control, but whatever the reason , he was interfering with law enforcement investigations.

Ralph assigned his number 2 (Sunday) to investigate the allegations and Sunday went about the investigation and completed it and gave it to Ralph who instructed him to send it to the FDLE. The FDLE referred it to the field office at the States Attorneys office for investigation and Ralph followed Sundays report up with a letter.

Of course this is all supposed folklore, because the local state attorney office being tight with Mikes cousin, the former state attorney and now attorney for Freeport, Defuniak and oh by the way they were also the firm who represented the BCC on the BP oil spill with no type of experience in this. It was never investigated and swept under the rug. The insiders now knew that Ralph would consider them “inbounds” like everyone else and between 2006 and 2008 an enormous effort by the insiders was made to discredit Sheriff Johnson. Adkinson was backed by ever insider and developer there was and just like that, the insiders controlled the information flow.

With Adkinson Elected and Glidewell retiring from the Jail, (Which was controlled by the BCC then) People who were in the Sunday camp got Stan to be in charge of the jail so Mike Adkinson who was livid with Sunday for telling the truth could not demote Sunday from the lucrative position he had achieved. Neutrality was obtained thru separation for the good of all local boys involved.

Then came the moves. It was decided that the Jail would be moved under the sheriff and that meant trouble for Sunday, he would work for the man he accused of being a bad cop.

But fate stepped in and when the locals concocted a plan to fire the new non local administrator, the “Nationwide” search determined the only “qualified” person was Larry Jones, former commissioner and BCC chair who had been on the BCC for all the recent development smoke and mirrors and he was the subject of several lawsuits as a commissioner. Larry’s first official act was to appoint two assistant county administrators. Dede highnote, who had been Bill Chapman’s son- in law’s secretary. (With basically no management experience and Sunday as the other paying Sunday significantly more than any other assistant administrator had gotten. Sundays whole resume, read basically “Cop” and “Cop” Supervisor.

(So now it seems Sunday has been making more than the sheriff himself possibly and getting supplemental pay from the TDC that nobody apparently knew about. But that’s another story soon to be aired)

Why is all this relevant? Because Adkinson still controlled the Defuniak police dept and their actions after he left to be sheriff. It will be revealed soon, that when a lieutenant with the defuniak springs police Dept officer who was not “from here” got local corruption information on Regional Utilities and Defuniak springs, he feared it would not be investigated properly so he turned it over to the FBI. He was wrongly fired using Mike Adkinson’s famous quote. “ You may be right, but you may be right from the house when you get fired.

Yes Huston, Seven years later and we still have the same problems. We must learn from History.

Anyway, supposedly it’s all folklore. Read the scanned documents and know that I have many more. Just saying……..I know the truth and that’s what scares the insiders the most. It’s time for open, fair and uncorrupt govt. in Walton County!

Attachments

• sundayandadkinsonletters.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,005

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Hmmm, just some personal observations on my part.

Don't know why this was posted to the Visioning Page or what prompted it being posted there.

Page 7 of the last letter is missing. Correspondence to the FDLE means nothing if the FDLE did nothing....which historically they don't. They are the fox guarding the hen house.

Chapman...nothing he says in my opinion is credible. He had his own certifications fudged and Ray Buddy Burgess took the fall for it costing him a 2 year revocation of his own certifications and the inability to practice law enforcement in the State of Florida. Rumor all over the county at that time was that Clayton Adkinson set Burgess up to take the fall for that fiasco so that Mike could step into Burgess's position and that's literally what happened. Later he was elected City Marshall.

Johnny Grantham...I haven't heard that name in years but he was never the brightest bulb in the pack at the Defuniak Springs Police department. He was known to lie, and attempt to make cases on individuals that were later dropped in Court. It was also known that he was a yes man and would do what he was told.

According to a news report by WJHG in 2016 Adkinson's salary was $115,564.00 (may be a tad higher this year) the TDC Executive Director, Walton County, $133,171.00 and I'm not sure of the County Administrator but Bob Hudson may have that figure. If Stan Sunday's salary is higher than Adkinson's and the County Administrator, I think everyone should be asking WTH? Rumor has it Stan Sunday helped create a lot of the animosity at the Sheriff's Ofc. with Adkinson and himself and even his own family members so, I'm not ready to say he was the good cop and Adkinson was the bad guy. Just my opinion but I think they are both very capable of falsifying reports.

I've seen what happens when a child of privilege is arrested for possession of methamphetamine, ecstasy and a weapon or a drunk driver plows his truck into the Bay from the Clyde B. Wells bridge. It always struck me as odd and maybe even a conflict of interest who their attorney's turn out to be. I don't think Mike Adkinson ever controlled the DFS Police Department, I believe his Uncle did and still does.

As for Dede Hinote the rumors I've heard is she is on Cecilia Jones hitlist and that's why the policy revisions are said to be being made because she wants her gone.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
To say that the powers that be in Tallahassee are unaware of corruption in Walton County would be an absolute lie.

Several weeks ago I went with others to Tallahassee to meet with the Director of Law Enforcement Relations Emery Gainey under Pam Bondi.

A little background...Mr. Gainey was appointed by Gov. Rick Scott to complete the term of the former sheriff of Marion County, who was suspended from office.
The Marion County sheriff was indicted on two counts of perjury in an official proceeding and one count of official misconduct stemming from a grand jury investigation into the use of excessive force. You can read more about that here...www.mediaweb.wftv.com/document_dev/2016/05/20/Indictment_Blair_4456813_ver1.0.pdf

Anyway...I digress. I asked Councilman Wright to make an appointment with Pam Bondi the Attorney General for the State of Florida because I believed the findings of the Arbitrators report in Defuniak, and research done on other allegations that were learned of through the testimony and findings of the Arbitrator were egregious enough to warrant an investigation coupled with the cost of litigation that the taxpayers will bear the brunt of. The lawsuits are far from over and a couple a million dollar plus lawsuits will cripple Defuniak Springs and the taxpayers! Every piece of information that was taken to Tallahassee (a 6 inch binder) is ALL publicly available information that has/had been given to each Council member either via the Arbitrators report or myself at PUBLIC meetings.

We were asking for an independent investigation of the Police Department due to the Arbitrators findings and information on 1 (one) particular officer still employed by the DFS Police Department.

For whatever it's worth, Mr. Gainey also felt that many of the issues we discussed were serious enough to warrant an investigation. Again I want to stress that every piece of information taken to Tallahassee was also presented to the City Council during public council meetings and all the documents we took are available through public information requests. Do your own research!

We sat with Mr. Gainey in excess of an hour and a half while only being promised 30 minutes.

My point in writing this is simple...the powers that be in Tallahassee are aware of corruption in Walton County (even before our meeting) and unless the actual government is willing to ask for an independent investigation or the people of this County demand it through a petition drive not much is going to change.

Do I think corruption in the Sheriff's office has escalated to the point it did in Marion County? NO I don't! However, I do absolutely believe that there have been political favors granted to rich or influential individuals with the methamphetamine, ecstasy and a weapon case being one of them and the drunk driver being the other. I also know that the Sheriff has discussed corruption in Walton County with the powers that be in Tallahassee and knows it exists.

As for Defuniak Springs, I absolutely do believe that the level of corruption in the DFS Police Department has risen to the level it did in Marion County and there are substantial public documents available via a FOIA request that bear that out. There have been several instances of excessive force being used against citizens which came to light after the Arbitrators Report was made public and the officer(s) involved is still employed. The main person responsible for the excessive use of force was actually hired by Mike Adkinson in DFS after he was terminated from another agency and by the Sheriff's Department for excessive use of force under Ralph Johnson's watch. Yes he was terminated from 2 other agencies and is still employed by the City after 3 incidents of excessive use of force and numerous other allegations made against him by officers still employed in Defuniak and others who have been illegally terminated and reinstated or simply terminated (lawsuit still pending) and others who simply did not want to work for Mark Weeks and have moved on to other departments.

The people of this County have a very substantial opportunity in August 2018 to make changes and demand better from our elected officials. If you continue to vote for those currently in office, in my opinion you are part of the problem and not part of the solution!

VOTE THEM OUT!

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
Mr. Sundays pay was apparently adjusted Sep 15th after Sizzane harris let them know about it. Apparently from when he was the TDC director. Do you think Mr. Sunday didn't notice he was still getting paid the higher rate?????? If you think this was all oversight, (because he hasnt been at the TDC for a long time), then I got some ocean front property in Arizona that I can let go much cheeper than the ones on 30A. "I have a special deal for you because you are my friend"

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Mr. Sundays pay was apparently adjusted Sep 15th after Sizzane harris let them know about it. Apparently from when he was the TDC director. Do you think Mr. Sunday didn't notice he was still getting paid the higher rate?????? If you think this was all oversight, (because he hasnt been at the TDC for a long time), then I got some ocean front property in Arizona that I can let go much cheeper than the ones on 30A. "I have a special deal for you because you are my friend"

This adjustment was not from when he was acting TDC director. It was from July 8, 2017 through 9/15/17. Larry Jones was out for medical reasons and Mr. Sunday was filling in. Mr. Sunday seems to be quite competent to wear multiple hats when needed.