• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007
I do not post often (actually my first on this board) but my family and I always read this board to keep up with everything because we rent a house for a month each year, the past 7 years. With that being said, I complete agree tat too many tourist are down here taking advantage in the wrong way and not appreciating the beauty of 30A. We rent just outside seaside in a pretty secluded area and def are practicing social distancing. If they actually shut down beaches, how strict will they be about people like myself, wife and baby actually being on beach? Do you all think it will be super strict or aimed towards the young spring breakers that are not practicing what they advise? Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for having such a beautiful stretch of land that you all make it what it is.

Walton County commissioners are moving toward closing the beaches to all of the public. They’re reconvening tomorrow at 9 am, and we’ll know more then.

dmb3535

Beach Crab
Mar 18, 2020
Birmingham
Walton County commissioners are moving toward closing the beaches to all of the public. They’re reconvening tomorrow at 9 am, and we’ll know more then.

Will that mean that nobody will be allowed on beach or is that shutting down certain higher traffic areas. I’m down here for a month and stay away from high traffic areas. Basically house, beach, bed, repeat. We have house on beach and want to abide by rules and laws, would that mean that we could actually get in trouble for walking out our back deck and playing in sand and water?

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
Will that mean that nobody will be allowed on beach or is that shutting down certain higher traffic areas. I’m down here for a month and stay away from high traffic areas. Basically house, beach, bed, repeat. We have house on beach and want to abide by rules and laws, would that mean that we could actually get in trouble for walking out our back deck and playing in sand and water?
Don't sweat it. Closure would be to thin crowds. Probably just some beach patrols asking you to leave the beach.

mrs.rocket

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2007

If public beaches are closed, no one will be allowed on them. I’m not entirely sure it’ll matter where you’re staying. Everyone will have more information tomorrow morning after the commissioners meeting.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Florida doctor's message for spring breakers in Florida during pandemic
Anderson Cooper speaks with a Florida doctor about spring breakers and vacationers who seem to be ignoring health officials warnings about social distancing during the coronavirus outbreak.

Seagrove Beach doctor Christine Smiley interviewed on Anderson Cooper Full Circle today:

Anderson Cooper Full Circle - CNN

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Actions taken during March 17th, 2020 City Council Meeting

City of Freeport

• Approval of the emergency meeting of the Council and the agenda.

• Approval to ratify the Mayor to declaring a state of emergency; Resolution 2020-04. Allows the City access to FEMA money and to pursue any emergency actions the state declares.

• Approval to suspend any staff travel out of the county unless permitted by the Mayor.

• Approval to suspend outdoor events and activities on public property requiring a permit by the City of Freeport until declared otherwise.

• Approval to suspend rental of all city facilities, i.e. field rentals and Blount House.

• Approval to suspend volunteer board and committee meetings until the next regular council meeting April 14, 2020.

• Approval to cancel all City Council meetings until the April 14th Council meeting and to allow the Mayor the authority to execute a contract to purchase a truck for the Water Department not to exceed the Sheriff’s contract amount.

• Approval to close bathroom and water facilities at the parks and grant discretion to the Mayor the authority to consult with Charlie Simmons to adjust hours of operation of the parks and any closures in accordance with all state or federal recommended guidelines.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Walton County COVID-19 Information

FDOH COVID-19 Information Page (Updated Regularly)

CDC COVID-19 Information Page (Updated Regularly)

Walton County BCC – Updated 3-18-2020

• Currently 1 confirmed case of COVID-19 in Walton County

• Issued Local State of Emergency on March 16th, 2020 effective at 2:00 p.m.

• Walton County Board of County Commissioners (WCBCC), the WCBCC approved a motion to direct the County Attorney to draw up an emergency ordinance to close the beaches in Walton County. At their direction, the County Attorney's office will work on the ordinance and bring it to the board The board at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday March 19th as part of the recessed Emergency Meeting.

• The Senior Center in DeFuniak Springs, located on College Ave. has been closed and will not reopen until further notice.

• The Walton County Housing Agency will continue to serve the tenants and landlords on the program via email and phone. Until further notice, the office will be closed to walk-in visits.
  • All County youth sports programs are canceled. This includes the use of any recreational fields by independent league sports.

• Per Governor Executive Order - Restaurants in Florida will be able to stay open but only be allowed to fill to half capacity and all tables must be at least 6 feet apart. All Florida bars and nightclubs are to close beginning 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17th and must remain closed for 30 days. Cancellation of all BCC and TDC permitted outdoor events and beach activity ordinance special events.

• Cancellation of all work-related travel outside the county for BCC employees without special permission from Director and County Administration.

• Suspension of the rental of all public facilities.

• Extended all current dog beach permits for 8 weeks. No new permit processing until June 1st.

• Extended all driving on the beach permits until August 1st. Beach permit lottery application process will begin June 1st.

• All Walton County Volunteer Board meetings have been canceled for the remainder of March and the month of April. At this time, these meetings are expected to continue in May.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
Does it apply to beach front property owners as well? If the beaches are closed, then it should apply to all. I have no problem with closing the beaches, but giving special privilege to those who are fortunate to own beachfront properties really irks me.