• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sdenly

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Hi,
I have been visiting the 30A area for many years, but the past two years it seems the private beach thing is getting to be more of an issue. Can anyone explain what is currently going on in Walton County with private beaches. If we rent a house that isn't beach front is our only choice to get to the beach via public beach access now? Just looking for some clarity.
Thanks!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It depends on the house. it can be off the beach and still have deeded beach access. Or in a community with shared access like Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Seaside, WaterColor, Sandestin, etc. Or a smaller subdivision. Sometimes a single street or small group of houses have shared deeded access.

So there are a lot of good situations but the bad ones can be bad indeed. It's important to do your homework and rent from someone you can trust.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
If you like the towns like Seaside and WaterColor, and don't mind a lot of people then they are good places to be to have your access and other amenities.

Some of the county public accesses are problem places with a small bit of public beach sandwiched between "private" property. Meaning some accesses have like 50 feet of beach, to serve hundreds of rental homes nearby and adjacent "private" beaches with ropes, signs, and even some with employees that will tell you not to touch their "private" beach. If you avoid these trouble accesses you will likely be OK.

BTW - I'm aware that some of the enforcers are the same towns I mention in the first paragraph.

sdenly

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
It depends on the house. it can be off the beach and still have deeded beach access. Or in a community with shared access like Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Seaside, WaterColor, Sandestin, etc. Or a smaller subdivision. Sometimes a single street or small group of houses have shared deeded access.

So there are a lot of good situations but the bad ones can be bad indeed. It's important to do your homework and rent from someone you can trust.

But what exactly does deeded beach access mean? Does it mean you have a designated area of beach or that you have a way to get to the beach, but once you get there no exact area to sit?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
But what exactly does deeded beach access mean? Does it mean you have a designated area of beach or that you have a way to get to the beach, but once you get there no exact area to sit?

It means that your lot doesn't touch the beach, but you have the same legal rights to the beach. Normally these are contained in the HOA/COA docs, but older neighborhoods are literally written in the deeded legal description.

sdenly

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
If you like the towns like Seaside and WaterColor, and don't mind a lot of people then they are good places to be to have your access and other amenities.

Some of the county public accesses are problem places with a small bit of public beach sandwiched between "private" property. Meaning some accesses have like 50 feet of beach, to serve hundreds of rental homes nearby and adjacent "private" beaches with ropes, signs, and even some with employees that will tell you not to touch their "private" beach. If you avoid these trouble accesses you will likely be OK.

BTW - I'm aware that some of the enforcers are the same towns I mention in the first paragraph.

That is exactly what I am seeing. It seems that there are more and more areas like that now on 30A. Do you have suggestions of areas to stay away from and areas that its not such a problem? We don't like crowds and typically go to the Santa Rosa/Blue mountain area or Seagrove. This is such a disappointing situation.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
That is exactly what I am seeing. It seems that there are more and more areas like that now on 30A. Do you have suggestions of areas to stay away from and areas that its not such a problem? We don't like crowds and typically go to the Santa Rosa/Blue mountain area or Seagrove. This is such a disappointing situation.
Old Blue Mountain is good, there are several neighborhood accesses that are walk up with no parking but not too many houses and there is some public beach along there. Old Florida Beach is gated and not too many houses with lots of beach. Seagrove is slim pickens with no crowds - you can look down the east end of Beachfront Trail. Inlet Beach Regional is on one of the largest accesses but can get a bit crowded. Gulf Trace is good but I think there was some recent stuff about beachfront owners being Aholes and trying to claim they own all the beach there so check with rental agents you trust.

SG320

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2020
Seagrove Beach
We are dealing with some of those same unfriendly beachfront owners in Seagrove. One specifically who has hired guards to keep people off “his” sand. Unfortunately for him it has angered many who owns homes and condos in the area and they will keep coming to the beach and sit in front of his property even if they are sitting in the wet sand. He will probably see more people than ever out in front of his luxury properties that are currently being built. On the wet sand of course!