• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jhanes

Beach Lover
Jun 16, 2009
Lebanon, TN
Not necessarily true. The term “deeded beach access” is used very loosely! In some instances it means that a neighborhood has an easement of a path to the beach, but only to get to the high tide line....then you’re on your own with no public beach available unless you walk down the wet sand to a public beach area, sometimes not very close by.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Not necessarily true. The term “deeded beach access” is used very loosely! In some instances it means that a neighborhood has an easement of a path to the beach, but only to get to the high tide line....then you’re on your own with no public beach available unless you walk down the wet sand to a public beach area, sometimes not very close by.

Mine is the literal definition. I'm aware of unscrupulous realtors and rental owners that stretch that definition.

sdenly

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Anyone know how things are regarding beach/private beach issues in the Summer’s Edge Community in Seagrove? That’s were we are looking to rent a house. Rentals are expensive and I hate to rent a house that supposedly has private beach access and it only be a “path” to the beach

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
Anyone know how things are regarding beach/private beach issues in the Summer’s Edge Community in Seagrove? That’s were we are looking to rent a house. Rentals are expensive and I hate to rent a house that supposedly has private beach access and it only be a “path” to the beach

Summer’s Edge on Ryan St. Most likely only a path or boardwalk off Eastern Lake Rd to get on beach.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It that usually a crowded area? We are supposed to be going in July.
I can't say for sure how crowded it is. Also I'm not sure about the width of public beach and/or the properties to the east and west and whether you can spread out. It might be a good idea for me to survey our accesses during season and make notes on our access pages about surrounding properties.
Ramsgate Access

As a general rule, July is going to be crowded at most accesses - especially between 10 am and 4 pm.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Hi,
I have been visiting the 30A area for many years, but the past two years it seems the private beach thing is getting to be more of an issue. Can anyone explain what is currently going on in Walton County with private beaches. If we rent a house that isn't beach front is our only choice to get to the beach via public beach access now? Just looking for some clarity.
Thanks!

Hi! Your concerns are valid and you should ask the owner or management company. We owned a home in a neighborhood with access but no real place to sit once we got down there. We then owned in a neighborhood with access but if you didn’t rent chairs there was no real place to sit without a pretty good walk (we really didn’t care because our kids are older). I think you could ask your owner and hope they would be honest about it. Assurance of access and a place to sit is to rent in one of the resort communities like Rosemary, Watercolor, etc. BUT, if the house you are looking at is close to a public beach access I believe you can coordinate beach chair and umbrella set ups. This will give you a place in the sand to park without lugging it all with you. Hope this helps. Enjoy your time!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Now that the county has expanded their control over our beaches and is officially in the chair rental business, perhaps there should be a standard disclosure required to be issued and acknowledged by renters for every rental property regarding Beach Access and rental availability along with rules and conditions.