• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Beach chair question.

When I was at Seacrest beach in the fall, I noticed that someone kept taking the private beach chairs off the beach and throwing them in the trash receptical on the beach. For example, if I went to lunch and left my beach chair, someone would throw it away. Do you know why this is? They even threw out some of the chairs belonging to the beach chair companies (I called the company to let them know). Does it have something to do with the environment? Does it have something to do with people who live right on the coast not wanting chairs near the water? Thanks.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
1. It is illegal to leave stuff overnight.
2. Stuff left on the beach gets in the way of nesting Sea Turtles and walking people.
3. Would you want me coming to your neighborhood leaving chairs along the street where you live, or in your yard?
4. Still, you shouldn't have to worry about leaving a chair for a few hours. Sounds like an A-hole messing with people. I doubt you are the problem.

Most people don't care about a chair here and there being left, but chairs, toys, coolers, trash, etc. is ridiculous. Some families leave a pile of junk for a whole week.

But even if you just leave a chair or 2, they add up. Used to be there weren't that many people visiting here, and those that did respected the place. With more and more people come more and more problems.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
When I was at Seacrest beach in the fall, I noticed that someone kept taking the private beach chairs off the beach and throwing them in the trash receptical on the beach. For example, if I went to lunch and left my beach chair, someone would throw it away. Do you know why this is? They even threw out some of the chairs belonging to the beach chair companies (I called the company to let them know). Does it have something to do with the environment? Does it have something to do with people who live right on the coast not wanting chairs near the water? Thanks.

I thought I knew the answer, except my answer does not fit for Seacrest. My thought was regarding the property rights issue for the beach in front of an owners house. Technically, the property owner owns the land to the mean water line, and some Gulf-front owners raised a little stink last year about people sitting on "their" beach. I could see some of these folks trying to make a statement by removing your stuff. However, the beach property at Seacrest, is owned by the association of Sunset Beach, and I find it unlikely that the Association was taking this action. Perhaps it was just those nosy kids.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Thanks for info on beach chairs

Thanks for the information. I had figured that it had to do with (1) nesting turtles which is why we didn't leave chairs overnight or for long period of time during the day or (2) home owners on the gulf who didn't want people using the beach in front of them which is why I don't use the beach beyond the high-tide mark. I figured it had to do with someone who was aggressively trying to make a point, although it seems to me that the people were using their beach chairs were doing so appropriately and the person could have kindly left a note to explain what the problem was so that people could learn what they should and shouldn't do and why. I want to be sure that by leaving a beach chair on a beach while one goes back to the cottage to have lunch isn't against Walton County regulations of any kind. (I'm pretty much a rule-follower...) 8)

Paula

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I want to be sure that by leaving a beach chair on a beach while one goes back to the cottage to have lunch isn't against Walton County regulations of any kind.

Walton County Ordinance:
Beach
Sec. 22-54. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach and water bodies.

(g) " Obstructions on the beach. It shall be unlawful for beach chairs, umbrellas, tents, and other such personal articles to be on the beach in such a manner that they interfere with beach maintenance, nesting turtles, or emergency vehicles."

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Smiling JOe said:
I want to be sure that by leaving a beach chair on a beach while one goes back to the cottage to have lunch isn't against Walton County regulations of any kind.

Walton County Ordinance:
Beach
Sec. 22-54. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach and water bodies.

(g) " Obstructions on the beach. It shall be unlawful for beach chairs, umbrellas, tents, and other such personal articles to be on the beach in such a manner that they interfere with beach maintenance, nesting turtles, or emergency vehicles."

Thanks Joe!

I thought there was something about overnight. Maybe that's the guideline they use for common practice.

Kathryn

Beach Comber
Hi Paula-
Gulf-front beach ownership varies with location, but often it is down to the 'mean water' mark. (I have never heard it described as to the 'high tide' water mark) The mean water mark is defined as the average location of the water's edge. This sometimes means the land owner owns pretty much all the beach in front of their private home.

I think it is absurd someone removed your chairs durng the day when left unattended for such a short time. I will say, however, I agree with others that as the beaches get more crowded, people should not leave their tents, chairs, coolers, etc. overnight. I have seen people virtually set up camp in front of our home. Bring in a port o' pot and they'd be all set!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I thought there was something about overnight.

Seems like I, too, remember something in the code regarding "overnight." However, I did not want to cypher throught the entire code to find it. I believe the code I posted would cover overnight as well as certain moments anytime.

I do agree that it is WRONG for people to set up tents and pile their crap underneath, and leave it on the Beach for the duration of their visit, sometimes being 10 days at a time. These folks are asking for "corrective measures." I will take it out myself if I get the angst built up. However, I will personally defend your property if someone was attempting to remove it while you are at lunch or out of the sun for a few hours during peak cancer absorption time.

Regarding the mean water line, in some areas the property owner does own to that mark on the Beach, and the current interpretation of the rule, as I understand it, is that the public has the right to pass across the Beach, but they are not to set up on the property between the property lines. There was much press about this issue last year, and you can probably find articles from the Destin Log or Walton Sun.

Smiling JOe said:

These folks are asking for "corrective measures." I will take it out myself if I get the angst built up.

:evil: Yikes! Come down to High Pointe. People leave those tents up all week. They usually get damaged by the wind and the red necks er... (sorry started a rant" leave them behind in a rusted curmpled heap. :!:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Thanks for information

Thanks for the local info on beach chairs. It sounds like there was someone who was overly aggressive for some reason that I don't know (environmental protection, property ownership). I agree that people shouldn't leave beach chairs for extended periods of time and definitely not overnight.

Best,
Paula