• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Yippie and Dan, what would be the disadvantages of having a Mac? What if you have Microsoft at work can you bring work home and work on the Mac? Will things convert? I am not very computer literate, please explain the differences. Thanks.

Depends on what software you are working on at work. I purchased Office for Mac and can read Word, Excell & other Microsoft programs. A necessary evil since some of my clients and people handling my personal affairs are e-mailing me documents in word... When you open the documents, Mac reads them and when you save them PC's don't have any problem opening them.

Quark is my main operating software. I can read Quark from any computer as long as it is the right version.

Much of the same software is available for Mac as PC's, HOWEVER, much of the Mac software is NOT available for PC's which is great.

Last edited:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
You could all join me in Linux land - Fedora 5 rules! no viruses or spyware, either

i told somebody that fedora 6 was coming out and that i was going to get it when i got around to it - they said 'expensive, huh?" and i said, 'yeah, about 16 hours of my time to download" - it's free and so is all the software!

NOTICE: Linux is not for everybody - you really have to be a truly devoted geekwad and have to have a machine that 'likes linux', with no weird offbrand or brand new chips, and accept that some things 'will never just work, or just never work' - also you must be comfortable with learning new things all the time and typing in your commands in the terminal that are complety mystifying like chmod -R ugoa+rw *

this guy that comes over a lot to buy fish gave me his wife's old sony vaio laptop the other day cause it was 'old' and he didn't want it anymore cause it kept getting slower and slower and messing up - it was barely a year old, with wireless built in and everything - i tossed the winBLOWS reload cds and wiped the hard drive completely - connected it to the dsl with a network cable and popped in the Fedora 5 dvd - loaded in about 10 minutes - YUMmed the intel centino firmware to connect to the wireless network, pulled the network cable off and rebooted, and it worked perfectly - YUMmed the rest of my fav programs like Xine and Mplayer and Audacity and Mozilla Firefox Browzer and Gaim Instant Messenger and poof! - i had a super-fast, killer, fully stoked and stacked Multimedia Machine - no slowing down or crashing ever since i got rid of winDOZE - i'm typing on it right now!

yes, the Win key on the keyboard is complete non-functional

i'm trying to teach the grandkids linux, but its slow going - all the things they want to do like game sites and stuff that uses the new flash 8 or 9 or whatever just won't work in linux or the port hasnt been written yet

when microsoft dies through a bad update or evil virus, the mac and linux users will still be up and running

i am very proud to say that i own nor use no microsoft windows branded products whatsoever since i traded the whacked t-mobile mda running useless winmobile for a new blackberry 8700

the original beige case apple II (pre c and e, serial number #125) is somewhere in the basement under glass and the old beige mac plus is around here somewhere

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
aquaticbiology, most of these SoWallers could never make the switch since they wouldn't be able to see most of the video clips posted in the lounge. :rotfl:

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
- i tossed the winBLOWS reload cds and wiped the hard drive completely - connected it to the dsl with a network cable and popped in the Fedora 5 dvd - loaded in about 10 minutes

aquaticbiology

I need to do this with my laptop! It is about 4 years old and needs to be cleaned out. I did a hard drive wipe long time ago on a PC but have forgotten how to do it and don't want to screw up and not be able to get my laptop running again. Would you mind telling me how you did it/do it??

danhall

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2006
danhallstudio.com
Yippie and Dan, what would be the disadvantages of having a Mac? What if you have Microsoft at work can you bring work home and work on the Mac? Will things convert? I am not very computer literate, please explain the differences. Thanks.

It really depends on the programs you use. If you are HEAVILY reliant on certain Microsoft programs not found in MS Office, then maybe the swich is not for you yet. Also, many people won't switch because they enjoy the computer games like Doom, Warcraft, Halo, etc. Many of these aren't available for Mac.

But, if you use the Microsoft office suite and need a computer for internet, email, photos, music, and day-to-day real life stuff, you wouldn't be disapointed. There are a few things that will seem strange at first, a few different buttons to hit. But, the file structure is very intuitive and all your system settings can usually be found in the "system Preferences" program. They keep all of that together, and it's not as technical in feel as Windows. You can usually find what you are looking for easily. Also, each program's preferences are easily reached from the top menu, and all your options are right there. I like Apple because they make the computer, and the operating system, and bundle great Apple programs. This means everything works together, and is integrated better than Windoze.

Seriously, if somebody gets a new Mac and needs help, I would be willing. I am not a computer guru, but there's nothing that I haven't been able to do on mine.

:D

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
I'm resurrecting an old thread here - but does anyone have an update on the best place for computer repair? I can only get my old desktop (Windows 98!) to boot in "Safe mode". Oddly enough this happened when I was booting up the old desktop to make the final backup of the data before moving it on to my new iMac! I can't get the data off the old disk because it doesn't see my external hard drive in "safe mode". So far I love the new iMac!

dijitil

Beach Comber
Nov 25, 2007
Hi Joe Alonzo here, If anyone is in need of computer help give me a call at (850)865 8565, i can deal with both pc and mac systems :)