• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Waterman

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2005
Ventura County CA
Long time no speak..hope all is well

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Well, I donated blood today. It took me about an hour an a half, but I did it. I had to explain everywhere that I had travelled in Mexico. I lived there for 4 years, so it took a while. They then missed the vein in my right arm and hit a tendon. We switched to the left arm and got it right! Also had blood spilled on my jeans. I guess saving lives is worth the trouble.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just returned from the blood center and they are still open if you can hurry. Open til 6pm today. Josh, yes, it is worth the hassle. Thanks for making the effort. :clap_1:

howlin'enterpri

Beach Comber
Aug 16, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Thank you for all the great information...I use to be a donor in Missouri and helped with the blood drives....haven't gotten back into the swing of donating since arriving in FL, but I need to. The screening process certainly hase changed!

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
I am so pleased to see this thread! I am a medical technologist and have been blood banking in hospital laboratories since 1980. So much has changed in those years- unfortunately the number of people donating has NOT increased.

However, thank goodness for the folks who do (or have in the past). When people ask me if they have a "rare" blood type, I always tell them that the most rare blood is the one that isn't sitting on the shelf in the BB refrigerator when I need it!

Also, if you can't give blood, you can help those who do donate by covering their job at work for an hour while donating (at an on site drive) or even volunteering to help at a local drive.

All of the pre-donation questions and limits may seem a bit bewildering but it all has been studied and thought out to help protect the blood supply. Also, they really help protect the donor.

Many folks don't realize how strictly regulated blood is- the FDA is stringent in all areas of handling the product. Unlike television (such as "ER"), doctors do NOT do their own crossmatching and do NOT just run into the blood bank and snatch blood off the shelf in an emergency!:rotfl: