• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
They posted an update this morning in the general Sowal forum. Same for now, going to be revisited soon along w/ other issues.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Is it true they're still trying to deny the charter boats launch permits @ Grayton...Red

bankei1974

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
I brought up this very subject last year in the sowal forum, as a tourist that spends 3 wk's in grayton between may and september the amount of vehicle traffic (on the beach) in june of last year was excessive, and dangerous for small children, I am not a property owner in sowal and if I was I'm sure a would by a permit and drive on the beach also, but as the population of sowal skyrockets the amount of cars on the beach will need to be reduced or unfortunaly eliminated to ensure safety. As to the fishing charters, I love to fish with capt larry and love to just walk down to the beach to leave, But if ten boats launch off the beach it does take away from the beauty of the beach.

NotnKansas

Beach Lover
Aug 3, 2006
SOWAL, FL
On Monday - a Honda truck with out of state tags - flew by to hit the east beach access by the Red Bar going way way way too fast. So fast that a few people had to literally jump out of the way. Then they got stuck. It took a good hour for someone to get them out. Everyone on the beach was shocked by the speed. Come on now people. :angry:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I saw a big white truck with oversized tires, no beach permit, on Monday doing the same thing, except the part about getting stuck. Most of the people with legit permits are not doing that. One recent violator was caught by the cops. The next day, they put 2 and 2 together and figured out that the permit was stolen from another Beach Permit holder, after contacting the actual permit holder. I guess photoshop works pretty well and anyone can print on vinyl.

Last week, I saw a guy without a permit get stuck. He was driving a ... you guessed it, a white Honda truck. The Sheriff's deputy drove right past without even hesitating about stopping. A local got in the driver's seat, after already towing him out once, backed it up and drove it off the beach.

Before we go changing the laws, perhaps we should ask the Sheriff's Office to begin enforcing the laws already on the books.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Before we go changing the laws, perhaps we should ask the Sheriff's Office to begin enforcing the laws already on the books.

Outstanding... and those who make their living launching from the beach should NOT have their permits taken away and should get preferential treament to tourists (like me)...Red

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yank their permit (maybe forever) and heavily fine people who drive recklessly or illegally. What's the point of the permits and signs if it's not enforced? If people doing illegal things is the problem, changing the rules is not a logical solution.

I think anyone who currently launches/fishes off the beach should get grandfathered in if they change the rules. I always thought it was cool to see them drive in and show the day's catch! I can think of much more damaging or unsightly things than those boats.

If people w/ small children are concerned about people driving on the beach, the majority of the beaches here are vehicle free - they just need to avoid the select driving locations. Personally, I feel the kids are in much greater danger from the combo of inattentive/inebriated parents and large bodies of water.

bankei1974

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
just back from week one of three this summer. Last year i voiced concern over the number of vehicles on the beach and the number of charter fisherman leaving their vehicles by the shore after launching, I am so happy to report less vehicle traffic last week, and the fishing charters leaving the orange cones was a great idea! I hope they keep it up, takeing those four vehicles 20 yards from shore really made a difference it seemed in the crowding