• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
I've never understood why someone would do that and basically risk their life in the meantime.

Last night (I know, it was busy), I got stuck behind something like 20 people on foot and on bikes in the middle of the road in watercolor. I was going less than 5 mph and they did.not.care. So, I try to make it obvious that I want to pass them and some of them get over to the side (mainly the walkers, hello... there's a sidewalk!! that's what it's there for!), but about half the bikers refuse to get to one side. They were weaving all over the road on both sides. I was having a heart attack, terrified that I was going to inadvertently hit someone. I was less than amused.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Didnt they realize the "parade" ended hours earlier? I just wish they all realized how much money the taxpayers of Walton County paid for the bike lane they refuse to use.

I've never understood why someone would do that and basically risk their life in the meantime.

Last night (I know, it was busy), I got stuck behind something like 20 people on foot and on bikes in the middle of the road in watercolor. I was going less than 5 mph and they did.not.care. So, I try to make it obvious that I want to pass them and some of them get over to the side (mainly the walkers, hello... there's a sidewalk!! that's what it's there for!), but about half the bikers refuse to get to one side. They were weaving all over the road on both sides. I was having a heart attack, terrified that I was going to inadvertently hit someone. I was less than amused.

Wow! How much longer did it take you to get where you were going? Did you miss anything by the time of you arrival. Had things greatly changed? Did the ice cream melt, milk spoil, cake overcook, Deadliest Catch go off, tub overflow, grocery store close, beach close, or miss the sunset :dunno:.

Didnt they realize the "parade" ended hours earlier? I just wish they all realized how much money the taxpayers of Walton County paid for the bike lane they refuse to use.

I would say their dollars paid a good chunk of that path and some may even be property owners (Not locals but property owners... I know there is a difference ;-))

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You must have been trying to take the Publix shortcut. You will quickly learn that it isn't a shortcut in the summer for the reasons you mention. You can blow the horn a few times, but be ready to get the finger from the adults.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
IMO....total oblivian to ones surroundings and what their actions are causing is what boils the pot. Yes..it may take a few minutes longer...but it's the "me" attitude..."I'm on vacation"...."I can do what I want" that irks most.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
IMO....total oblivian to ones surroundings and what their actions are causing is what boils the pot. Yes..it may take a few minutes longer...but it's the "me" attitude..."I'm on vacation"...."I can do what I want" that irks most.

Yeah, that's the big part... it was really, really unsafe. It was a "that car won't hit me because I'm on vacation" mentality. I would have had to park and just stop and wait 15 minutes for them to run their course or turn around and go the other way.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I have no problem allowing cyclist the use of the road, if they will abide by the rules that cars must use.

What burns me to a crisp is they will ride in the lane just as a car would until you reach a stop sign and then they want to slip past everyone waiting and blow the stop sign. :angry:

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
What burns me to a crisp is they will ride in the lane just as a car would until you reach a stop sign and then they want to slip past everyone waiting and blow the stop sign. :angry:

Yup...I'm a former hardcore road cyclist, and that used to burn even me. The stupid actions of a few result in a negative attitude towards cyclists as a whole regardless of how responsible he or she may be...