• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Walton Sun Pub

Beach Comber
Jan 13, 2009
Recent forum posts on SoWal.com forums have wondered, "Is The Walton Sun still in business?" I can tell you that the answer is an absolute "yes!"
It was disheartening to read in recent posts that someone has been telling business owners that The Sun is out of business. While I hate calling anyone's ethics into question, I can tell you that nothing could be farther from the truth!
The Sun came into South Walton almost 12 years ago with a strong commitment to South Walton to deliver a newspaper charged with local reporting and a not-to-be-matched penetration that delivers our advertisers' messages to the widest audience?wider than any other print competitor.
While the economy has prompted us to make some changes in our business, our original commitment to both our readers and our advertisers has not wavered. It is, in fact, stronger than ever. We are working daily with local business owners to spread their message across South Walton. Their success is our success...and our success will continue to bring both South Walton residents and our visitors the best newspaper possible.
To paraphrase Mark Twain, "Rumors of The Walton Sun's death have been greatly exaggerated!" We have made a long-term commitment to South Walton and will be here for a long time to come!

We thank all of you who continue to support your newspaper!

Rick Thomason, Publisher, The Walton Sun

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I remember when I moved to South Walton, several years ago. One of my favorite things to do on Saturday mornings was to take a Walton Sun from my driveway, and head to the beach for a morning read. As I recall, the paper was maybe one juicy section, filled with only local news stories and photos. Regardless of the story, I read every word of every story, and I looked at all of the ads. Richard Owen did a fabulous job of capturing moments. In more recent years, the paper exploded with so many real estate ads, that it seemed there wasn't enough "news" to write, locally, and when it expanded to AP stories, it kind of went down hill for me.

Maybe this unfortunate trimming down of advertisers, will create the opportunity to get the Walton Sun back to its roots of that which made it my favorite newspaper of any place I've ever lived -- local stories only. The problems in paradise seem so much more fun to read than stories about national events.

Best of luck to the Sun. I hope everyone is able to send some more ad $ your way to add more local writers and photographers, and keep the Walton Sun around for a long time.

Walton Sun Pub

Beach Comber
Jan 13, 2009
The "well" part means we're here to stay. Yes, our business has taken a hit in the economic downturn, as have many, many others. But we are out every day working with local business owners/managers to try to help them increase traffic into their businesses. We view our relationships with our advertisers as a true partnership and know if we can help them succeed, then everyone wins.
Thanks to all for your comments!

Rick

The "well" part means we're here to stay. Yes, our business has taken a hit in the economic downturn, as have many, many others. But we are out every day working with local business owners/managers to try to help them increase traffic into their businesses. We view our relationships with our advertisers as a true partnership and know if we can help them succeed, then everyone wins.
Thanks to all for your comments!

Rick

Rick,

I've got some ideas on how we can help each other. Let's you and I meet outback behind the old sycamore and we can form a true partnership.

John

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks, Rick! This is the best place to tell us what's going on! :clap:

We CAN handle the truth! :D

I heart The Walton Sun.