• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Today I found out that CBA does extensive monitoring of the inoutfall before and after such an emergency opening. They take samples of the adjacent gulf, inoutfall, and lake before, just after, and later. I forget all the tests and data taken but it is extensive. I don't know when they started this procedure. But the data should be quite interesting.

I'm awaiting some information from a fellow sowaller to post. Currently they aren't following the correct procedures for opening the lake. Ultimately there is no procedure for opening the lakes as it should be left to mother nature. :bang:

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Join effort to save Deer Lake State Park

Most of us have heard about the plan to close Deer Lake State Park.

( see November 20, 2008 article in Walton Sun by Nate Kelly)
http://www.waltonsun.com/common/printer/view.php?db=waltonsun&id=2460

Some locals are now trying to save Deer Lake Park. Also, some new information has been revealed.

The actual cost of keeping Deer Lake open may have been greatly exaggerated. The actual annual cost is only $6,700 vs the $45,000 claimed .

Also, there is a rumor that the real motive for closing Deer Lake is not to save money but to open up an opportunity for a developer to buy the property at a bargain price.

The letter below was shared with me by a friend. This letter pretty much sums up the concerns of many residents. I am omitting the name since it is not my letter-I am working on mine right now.

This letter was sent to Gov. Crist, Sen. Don Gaetz, Rep. Marti Coley, and Mike Bullock Director of FDEP.

The Hon. Charlie Crist, Governor
State of Florida
PL-05 The Capitol
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0001

Dear Governor Crist:

I am writing about the possible closure of Deer Lake State Park in Walton County. This came as a shock, as it is a pristine jewel of a park, with a wonderful boardwalk leading to the Gulf and a series of trails through the woods to the north of Co. Hwy. 30A. Locals use it all the time to get to the beach or to hike in the woods and, using myself as an example, I bring all my visitors to this park because it's a short ways away and it's so precious a resource.

I've been told there are two reasons for the possible closure of this particular park. First, it has a ?small amount of use relative to the expense of operating it,? and second, it generates no revenue. These are truly ridiculous arguments.

With regard to the first, no one has any idea how many people use it because no count is taken. My friends and I, and my guests and I, use the park all the time. Every time we go, other people are using it too. It is a highly used park ? there's simply no sign-in or way to keep track of its use.

With regard to the expense of operating it and it generating no revenue, the figure is laughable. Although some people were told that it costs $44,000 a year to operate, the actual expenses amount to under $6,000. This of course does not count the salary of one ranger, but we were told that no rangers would be let go, so the savings from closing the park cannot count a ranger's salary.

The amount of $5,700 could very easily be made up by taking two steps: 1) install an ?honor? collection box asking visitors to put in $2 per car, which works well for other state parks in Walton County; and 2) let us know that the park can stay open if $5,700 is raised. Someone will pick up the ball and organize a fundraiser ? probably raising the amount needed with one good event.

In addition, I'd like to point out that the proposed closing of parks in the Panhandle is way disproportionate to the closings proposed elsewhere: 24 percent of Panhandle parks, vs. 12 percent or less in other areas of Florida. This is discriminatory and unconscionable.

In sum, there is absolutely no reason to keep Deer Lake park on the list of closures. If it is closed after the outcry you are probably receiving, it is obviously for reasons other than those stated -- which will be an embarrassment to yourself, the FDEP, and the legislature when true reasons come out.

Sincerely,

(name withheld) Resident of Walton County

cc: Sen. Don Gaetz; Rep. Marti Coley; Mike Bullock, FDEP

SenatorDon Gaetz
320 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1100
(850) 487-5009
Senate VOIP: 5009
District Office:
217 Miracle Strip Parkway
Ft. Walton Beach, FL 32548
(850) 897-5747
Senate VOIP: 40400
FAX (850) 833-3910
Toll Free:
1-866-450-4366
Rep. Marti Coley
319 The Capitol
402 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1300
Phone: (850) 488-2873
District Office:
Building L, Room 108 Chipola College
3094 Indian Circle
Marianna, FL 32446-1701
Phone: (850) 718-0047
or
GCCC-Administration Building, Room 228
5230 West Highway 98
Panama City, FL 32401-1041
Phone: (850) 747-5596
Mike Bullock
Director Florida Park Service
3900 Commonwealth Blvd ? Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Information Line: (850) 245-2157

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Breakdown of actual costs to operate Deer Lake State Park

From the SWCC:

Dear SWCC Member,

I have received several emails and phone calls expressing concern about the potential closure of Deer Lake State Park. I have spoken with both local park officials and the state about the proposal. At the end of this email is a public memo provided by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. (FDEP)

Here is a synopsis of what I have been told or found through research. As we all already know, the state is experiencing a financial crunch and must cut expenses. In an effort to cut expenses yet retain employees, 19 parks are being proposed for a temporary closure. Eight of the 19 parks slated for closure are in the Florida Panhandle. Here is a geographic breakdown of the proposed closures using the FDEP park region designations:

NW FL (16 counties) 33 parks total 8 to be closed 24% proposed closure of total parks in region
NE FL (17 counties)39 parks total 4 to be closed 10%
Central (13 counties) 26 parks 3 to be closed 12%
SW FL (13 counties 32 parks 2 to be closed 6%
SE FL (8 counties) 23 parks 2 to be closed 9%

According to state officials, Deer Lake is being proposed for closure on the basis that (1) it receives a small amount of use relative to the expenses of operating it and (2) it generates no revenue. This rationale is disturbing. One problem is that there is no documentation by which to ascertain how much the park is in fact being used. Deer Lake State Park does not have a visitation kiosk in which users can register. In the other parks, (Topsail, Grayton, Eden, etc) there is a day fee with a registration form. In essence, as was acknowledged by the state, there are no actual records which quantify public use of this park. It is being estimated and assumed it is not well used.

Secondly, I was initially told the operating budget for Deer Lake was around $44,000. I have received a copy of the breakdown of the operating expenses for Deer Lake for 2007-08. It breaks down as follows:

Expense Breakdown Amt. (Approx)

Phone Bills $349.33
Freight 10.00
Repairs $1,455.96
Electric Bill 605.72
Water & Sewer 242.04
Road Maintenance 610.24
Minor Tools 297.46
Parts & Fittings 157.69
Gas 1,675.43
Field Supplies 275.09
Uniform 75.00

TOTAL: $5,753.87

I have received further confirmation that it costs $5,753.87 to operate the park. Note: Grayton Beach State Park maintains Deer Lake Park and provides ranger service.

The other parks in the area charge a day fee which helps defray some of the operating expenses. While there is some discussion of assessing a day fee to help with Deer Lake in the future, according to the state officials I have spoken to, there does not appear to be any discussion of assessing a day fee as an alternative to closure. In other parks, the day fee works off an ?honor? box. No ranger is needed to collect the fee.

If in fact the operating expenses are so minimal, it would seem the imposition of a day fee and/or a fundraising drive could produce the funds to keep the park open. The closing of a gulf front park with its contribution to tourism and local year-round use should be a last resort if alternatives to help cover the operating costs are not possible. I would be interested in knowing whether our membership would be willing to pay a day fee (typically $2-3) to use the park. Please give me your thoughts.

The timing and procedure work like this: FDEP must make a recommendation of closure to the Governor?s office. If the Governor approves the closures, the proposal must go to the state legislature. The legislative session is from February through May 1st. A decision must be made during that time frame. If the state legislature votes to adopt the FDEP proposal, the closing could take place the first of July with no fixed expiration. The park will be re-opened when it is deemed financially feasible.

Some fear has been expressed as to whether Deer Lake State Park may ultimately be sold to a private purchaser. The normal procedure for sale of a park would work like this: Title to the park is held in trust. The Trustee is the Board of Trustees of the Internal Improvement Trust Fund. The Florida Division of State Lands is the administering agency for the Trustees. Parks and Recreation (P & R) manages the parks.

The first step in selling a park would be for P & R to determine that the park serves no conservation or other public purpose and recommend it be designated as ?surplus? land. Before it is considered for surplus, a notice is sent to other state agencies and the county to determine if any other entity would want the parcel. If no one responds affirmatively, the parcel is released to the Trustees and goes before the ARC (Acquisition and Restoration Council). That committee decides whether the park should be surplused. The public can speak at the ARC meeting. The notice of the meeting is on the FEDP website.

If the ARC decides to surplus the park parcel, a notice for bids must be given to property owners within 500? and a notice will be given in the newspaper although the statute provides ?(4) Failure to provide the notice as set out in subsections (1) and (3) shall not invalidate the sale, exchange, lease, or easement.?

I cannot yet verify whether this is the procedure that would have to be used for Deer Lake State Park. Deer Lake is subject to an agreement between several agencies and St. Joe and I don?t know if the documents cover discontinuance of Deer Lake as a park.

The Division of Lands has assured me there is no intent to sell Deer Lake State Park. In addition to providing a wonderful ?old Florida? experience for locals and visitors, an important function of the park was to provide habitat for endangered species. Undoubtedly there would be a large public outcry if Deer Lake State park were offered for sale.

>From the emails and phone calls I have received, I am aware that there are those who uses the park on a regular basis. Public input should be directed to the governor?s office and FDEP.

The Governor?s email address is: Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com His mailing address is:

? Office of Governor Charlie Crist
State of Florida
PL-05 The Capitol
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001

FDEP accepts only letters into the official records.

Therefore, you must send a letter to:

Mr. Mike Bullock
Director, Florida State Parks
3900 Commonwealth Blvd.
Mailstation 500
Tallahassee, FL 32399

jjnole04

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
Why not start a citizen support orginization much like The Friends of Grayton or The Friends of Topsail. I'm sure the staff at Grayton Beach would be happy to help anyone willing to pursue this option. Although I'm sure that writing letters is satisfying, it is a bit premature. Deerlake was included on a list of 19 other parks just as it is every year, in fact our legislature just had a special session, lots of cuts, and no parks were closed. I highly doubt that we will see most of these parks close at all, especially if there is interest in the surrounding community. But, again the way to show that support is through the formation of a CSO. A CSO could volunteer at the park by opening the gates, cleaning the trash, and sanitizing the porta potty every so often, even if the park is closed by the state. They could raise money to purchase things for the park. This would be the most prudent course of action if in fact you want to truly send a message.

passin thru

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2007
This issue of the proposed closure points out one possible silver lining to the black cloud of economic gloom we're under.

The thought that the Park could be in some developer(s)' sights is likely pretty accurate.

So let's use this time of downturn to realize, to promote & to pursue the thought of conservation of more of our open spaces. We've already got more than enough density -- both built and zoned-but-not-yet-built -- here in SoWal.

Let's not further sicken & kill the goose that truly lays our golden eggs. That goose isn't the building & real estate industry -- ultimately that goose is our beaches, our scenery, our still-low-by-Florida-standards density. All the things that make us unlike the rest of the state.

Refuse to allow Deer Lake to be privatized and developed. Support downzoning NatureWalk. Ask your commissioners to say 'no' to more zoning & development approvals in Sowal, except for legitimate employee housing projects.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Deer Lake on BCC agenda Tuesday 10Feb09 at 4PM

Deer Lake closure to be discussed at the County Commission meeting on February 10 starting at 4 PM at the courthouse in the South Walton Annex.
under "SPECIAL ITEMS:.......

3. **********DUE TO BUDGET CUTS, THE STATE OF FLORIDA HAS SLATED DEER LAKE STATE PARK FOR CLOSURE AND THE CDLAB WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND THAT THE BCC CONSIDER ALTERNATIVES TO KEEP DEER LAKE STATE PARK OPEN FOR PUBLIC ACCESS TO THE BEACH AND THE COASTAL DUNE LAKE."

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Deer Lake closure to be discussed at the County Commission meeting on February 10 starting at 4 PM at the courthouse in the South Walton Annex.
under "SPECIAL ITEMS:.......

3. **********DUE TO BUDGET CUTS, THE STATE OF FLORIDA HAS SLATED DEER LAKE STATE PARK FOR CLOSURE AND THE CDLAB WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND THAT THE BCC CONSIDER ALTERNATIVES TO KEEP DEER LAKE STATE PARK OPEN FOR PUBLIC ACCESS TO THE BEACH AND THE COASTAL DUNE LAKE."

Florida needs the money for THIS:

It seems Charlie Crist's lieutenant governor, Jeff Kottkamp, has spent $425,000 jetting home in a state plane, often with his family. He was supposed to pay for his family but never did until reporters caught this scam. Just what does Jeff Kottkamp do anyway? Why do we need him?
Crist is a champion of government "living within it's means'' and also cutting down carbon emissions.
How much carbon did that jet plane spew out when it flew empty on 70 different occasions after dropping off Kottkamp, or going to get him.
Florida has six pilots, a jet and turboprop to fly our politicians around, costing taxpayers $3.5 million a year.
Is this living within their means. Legislators also get a gold-plated free medical coverage plan for themselves and their families, a perk no other part-time state employee gets, including teachers.
Charlie stuck taxpayers with the bill for six bodyguards on his luxury European vacation last year.
These people are just as outrageous as the CEOs ripping off tarp money for their bonuses.
Orlando Sentinel - When do the politicians begin living within their means? by