• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

someone_else

Beach Lover
Feb 6, 2009
Walton county
Dear Lillia,

A great injustice that only you little people can undo, has been recently brought to my attention. The universe is a very large place with a great many creatures of so many sizes that sometimes we fail to see each other at all. For example, the ants building a mountain outside my front door don?t know I exist yet with a single careless step I could destroy there life?s work. It is not on behalf of the ants that I write to you this morning. Not far from where I live on the Gulf of Mexico, there is a beautiful lake by the sea where a family of very small mice has been building a mountain of sand for many generations. The rare creatures, for whom I am concerned, have no idea what is about to happen to the monument they have been building to honor the beauty of the sea. Almost no one realizes that these quiet little mice have been creating dunes for as long as they have existed. Fragile and gentle, these little beings go on year after year in the face of great adversity, working on their masterpiece, and never asking anything in return. Hurricanes and tornados have not steered them from their course. Progress is about to end their journey before it is complete. Some good people long ago realized the special beauty of DeerLake, and so created a land trust to keep this work of art from being destroyed. Years have gone by with little attention given to the sculptors who work so diligently at their craft. Men with lots of money have now decided that it is no longer important to protect this sanctuary. Ahhh, but why, you ask, would they be so thoughtless? Dear Lillia, if I could answer that, I would be able to take you for a walk through a virgin forest with trees so huge and old that they could tell you stories of many lifetimes of my people. Human beings are both near and far sighted. They can see neither the very small nor the very big picture. Only the little people care anymore about our mother earth, and they have little power other that their innocence. Innocence, my dear Lillia, is a powerful weapon in the fight for justice; for only the innocent seekers of truth can see what is of lasting value. Please, my little darling, help me to help my friends?
[FONT=&quot]Love,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]G.[/FONT]

someone_else

Beach Lover
Feb 6, 2009
Walton county
Art contest for children where everyone is the winner

No one has responded to this thread so I imagine that you all are tucked in bed and dreaming, I thought if each of you would draw a picture of the mice or the dunes they create Kurt would help us sell them and we could give the money to the mice to save Deer Lake Park from being closed? Life and Art are the same thing sometimes and you little people can save my friends. Please write with any ideas you have on how we should proceed. After all I am a grown up even if I wish I were a child.

Last edited:

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
How are they related?

What does not closing the park have to do with saving the beach mouse? Who are the " men with money" that would harm the mice? Not sure I follow.

someone_else

Beach Lover
Feb 6, 2009
Walton county
Sorry if I confused you with my little story. I write a letter every day to my grand daughter who lives 5000 miles from here. My daughter thought this one might help raise a little money to save Deer Lake Park. When we first moved to SoWal before there was a board walk the park ranger told me about the mice. Keeping the park open provides supervision over this very delicate and rare ecosystem. The men with money refers to anyone who chooses to ignore the need to protect our ever dwindling natural landscape in the name of the almighty dollar.