• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
I was down for a few days a couple of weeks ago and for the first time in twenty years, I did not stay in SoWal. Why? A number of reasons really. I got tired of all the fees. Cleaning fee, admin fee, reservation fee, deposit, etc. Another reason is the highly variable condition of condos/homes for rent. Most owners are reasonable and furnish and decorate their units in keeping with the cost but sadly there are a number of owners who let the carpet go until it is way beyond nasty; same with upholstered furniture. And then came the proposal to raise the bed tax in Walton County. Let's see, I get to pay an increased bed tax so that the county can market to tourists farther away than they currently market to. That put me over the edge.

I stayed in a hotel, had a nice ocean view, got a free hot breakfast every morning and free drinks at night. All for a very attractive rate. No muss, no fuss, no deposit, no cleaning fee, etc.

I truly believe that the typical American consumer changed after October 2008. Most are looking after their wallets a little closer, looking for deals and negotiating rates and other purchases. I believe this change will be permanent.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I think Bos' statement about "shopping being the number one reason people come here now" is the most out of touch comment--no one is shopping anywhere right now! That's why stores all over the country are closing up! So, what is he talking about?

And, even if people were still shopping--why would they come here to shop? While we have some nice places, we do not have anything that most people can't get back home--whereever home is.

And, what airport is he talking about that is being built on the Okaloosa-Walton county line?:
I am not sure what his point was in that speech, but whatever it was, his reasoning is confusing to say the least.

I do think that overdevelopment has caused us a problem, but I also think the economy, the restrictions on the beach (and the attitudes that caused that) and moving events like Jazz Festival and Arts Quest...and others, have had a huge impact.

We can get it back, I think, but we will all need to work together to do it.

Last edited:

Lisa Ruby

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
SoWal
www.rosemarybeachsales.com
In the grand scheme of things, any area will attract visitors and buyers based on their preferences. And yes, it is much more difficult for some types of businesses to survive when the overheads are high and the pie is sliced. In watching the last 20 years of development, I see 30-A as the blessing in a myriad of bad decisions in adjacent communities, and feel more blessed for being able to be here and a part of this fabulous community. You either "get it" or "you don't".....and I'm secretly happy Mr. Bos isn't fond of 30-A.:D

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Different strokes for different folks.

If you like cheaper rents, high rises, wall to wall people on the beach, putt putt, waterparks, go karts, lots of dining choices from McD's to Ruth Chris, etc, or you are young and looking for lots of action, then Destin and Panama City are for you. There are tons of people that choose those destinations for those various reasons. Nothing wrong with that. Some folks (not me) actually believe that Emerald Grande is the cats meow. Good for them.

If you like more upscale accomodations, quieter beaches, fewer local entertainment options, and an overall more laid back place to live or vacation, then 30A is a grayt place to be.

I personally like the more laid back/low rise style of 30A where I never really need a car (yet, I can still go into Destin for a day of go karts, putt putt and waterparks or a night of fun at Baytowne Wharf or Pier Park, but return to the relative peace of 30A after just such a hectic day in Destin).

Regardless, all areas along the emerald coast are struggling in the area of real estate. And, all will likely continue to struggle for quite some time. I have no doubt that Destin, PC and 30A real estate will fall, stabilize and eventually rise together.

bradleyball

Beach Comber
Nov 20, 2007
In my case, Mr. Bos is dead wrong. We have just purchased in Watercolor, and intend to relocate.

We certainly looked at Destin and Panama City, but we could not otherwise find the unique charm that is 30A. We feel fortunate that we will have a convenient new airport, excellent shopping, and fine dining within a short drive (or walk).

But what we treasure is the beautiful beach, and the sense of community and neighborhood events centered on Seaside/Watercolor.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I think that his statements are very short sighted and could perhaps be taken seriously if he was not so heavily invested in Destin. The outlet malls are like 9 miles from 30A.... I think if a person on vacation really had to go shopping in Destin they would be able to handle the rough 9 mile drive or perhaps the 13 miles to Destin Commons (Actually from the corner of 283 and 98, Destin Commons is 15 miles).

Over the past two years I have also become quite comfortable with not everyone needing to understand 30A. This area is very special and the market collapse is helping bring our community back together again. We are going to have lots of pain but in the end we will be a better place with people that want to be here and understand the attractions( State Parks, Dune lakes, unique shopping and dining, bike paths, community events, etc.). My family enjoys a good visit to Destin every now and again but give me 30A any day!

Funny how 30A was even brought up? Two different markets. Two different types of Buyers. Odd.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
30a was brought up because 30a could become destin, but destin can never become 30a. 30a is that special.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
South Walton, SoWal is definitely not Destin ... thank goodness!!! Wow. That could be a new slogan. SoWal -- Definitely not Destin! Think of a few names you don't want to be associated with. Why would anyone buy or stay in Destin when they could be in SoWal or along 30A!! Crazy. (ps. Sandestin is in SoWal and not in Destin in case you are worried about being in the best location on the Emerald Coast) With the recent bad press with Destin, we should be thankful that SoWal is really a different and unique location.

Let me repeat this. Sandestin is not in Destin. Your address should be Miramar Beach, not Destin. Different zip code, etc. etc. etc. Sandestin is in SoWal and closely connected to 30A -- not Destin. So the article referenced in this section is warped. Sandestin and SoWal are going to be just fine. I don't know about Bos and his developments in Destin and Emerald Grand. People in Sandestin need to connect with South Walton and Walton County and really understand that they are not in Destin and Okaloosa County.

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Different strokes for different folks.

Regardless, all areas along the emerald coast are struggling in the area of real estate. And, all will likely continue to struggle for quite some time. I have no doubt that Destin, PC and 30A real estate will fall, stabilize and eventually rise together.

Talk about rising and fallling together. Communities that built back with some regard for their natural surroundings will live to see another day. I predict that the Emerald Grand will indeed fall into the Gulf in the future and block the Destin Harbor. Just IMHO.

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Miss Kitty doesn't like Peter Bos?

No, she thinks he sounds like an IDIOT. :roll:

Either you get get 30A, or you don't. And, Mr. Bos never will.