• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sweet Baby Jane

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
I live in Dune Allen... when I awoke yesterday morning a county cop informed me that a pig was running around in my front yard. He seemed to think it was someones pet potbelly pig that had escaped. Never really seeing one I'm not sure. However it sure looked like something wild to me...

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Wow- this place is getting crazier by the day. The 3 legged alligator, the horse stampede, a potbellied pig cavorting in a yard- what will tomorrow bring? I am scared to look out the window!!:dunno:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I live in Dune Allen... when I awoke yesterday morning a county cop informed me that a pig was running around in my front yard. He seemed to think it was someones pet potbelly pig that had escaped. Never really seeing one I'm not sure. However it sure looked like something wild to me...

Suuuueeey! :D Sure looks like a wild pig to me. Potty belly pigs have cute pug snouts and I didn't think they were as hairy. It looks like it just had babies, too. BTW, nice lawn.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
It's an invasive exotic...only one thing could have happened if it was removed from the property. At least the officer erred on the side of caution to make sure it wasn't a pet.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Looks just like the 2 that were dead on the side of Bay Dr. not long ago. There is alot of evidence of them roaming right now. The north side of 98 (between Bay Dr. & 331) has a couple of large areas where they have been rooting around.
EDIT: the scruffy neck hair makes me think it is a wild hog. Pot-bellies just dont have that hump and longish hair there. Maybe they are trying to make their way back to claim Grayton again.

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
That is a wild hog, not a pet! And they haven't got any business trying to reclaim Grayton, they are not indigenous. The foresters hate them - among other things, they eat lots of longleaf pine shoots when the tree is in the "grass stage." We saw some tracks here in Seagrove recently that seemed to be hog tracks. The population really seems to have increased lately. :shock: