• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
lady d, if you can, please call your vet and take the poor fella. this concerns me. do what you think needs to be done for the dog's best interest and you can still give your son a good whipping. they don't get too old for that! you're the mama!!!
yeah, i agree with the others. You already know in your heart that this is what you need to do. I realize you are trying very hard to respect your adult son's decisions. But I think you should go ahead and do the right thing now and suffer the consequences later. So he and his wife get pouty. They'll get over it.

You are a good mother and a lover of all animals. :love:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
LadyD, take that dog to the Vet, just consider it another example of "tough love" that as parents we have to do some times do when our children do not make the best choices.

Living in Memphis, believe me when I say that it is imperative that dog be on heartworm preventive. Good luck with both the dog and your son. Hugs to you.

CincyBeachGirl

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
Stop discussing the matter with your son and simply handle the situation by taking the dog to the vet . You aren't getting anywhere talking to your son, so you simply need to put for the action and take care of it.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Ditto to all the good advice you've gotten here. Take the dog to the vet, and DON'T tell your son and DIL. Why in the world would any responsible pet owner not only NOT care for their pet, but intentionally discount what they know to be the best course of action for their pet's health? I understand the money thing, I really do, but please don't let this become a power struggle between you and your son, with the dog's health sacrificed in the process.

And please tell me that you son and DIL don't have kids.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Your son and his wife are guilty of animal abuse. It doesn't matters "whose dog it is", the poor thing needs proper care and someone to speak up on its behalf. This situation is completely unacceptable.

Why the hell do they have a dog if they won't take care of it and it is at your house 4-5 days a week?

There is no need for you to sneak around to the vet or feed their need for drama just so this dog can get BASIC CARE. Heartworm is a horrible way for a dog to die and I don't think the repellant is good for him long term - and it won't guarantee no 'skeeter bites.

You already take care of the dog the majority of the time and have offered to pay for and facilitate its medical treatment, so the only reason for them to refuse is that they like to see helpless animals suffer.

I think you need to have the dog 100% of the time and they need to be biatch-slapped for animal cruelty. If this dog was a human baby, the government would come and take it away from them.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Your son and his wife are guilty of animal abuse. It doesn't matters "whose dog it is", the poor thing needs proper care and someone to speak up on its behalf. This situation is completely unacceptable.

Why the hell do they have a dog if they won't take care of it and it is at your house 4-5 days a week?

There is no need for you to sneak around to the vet or feed their need for drama just so this dog can get BASIC CARE. Heartworm is a horrible way for a dog to die and I don't think the repellant is good for him long term - and it won't guarantee no 'skeeter bites.

You already take care of the dog the majority of the time and have offered to pay for and facilitate its medical treatment, so the only reason for them to refuse is that they like to see helpless animals suffer.

I think you need to have the dog 100% of the time and they need to be biatch-slapped for animal cruelty. If this dog was a human baby, the government would come and take it away from them.

wow. :shock:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Ditto to all the good advice you've gotten here. Take the dog to the vet, and DON'T tell your son and DIL. Why in the world would any responsible pet owner not only NOT care for their pet, but intentionally discount what they know to be the best course of action for their pet's health? I understand the money thing, I really do, but please don't let this become a power struggle between you and your son, with the dog's health sacrificed in the process.

And please tell me that you son and DIL don't have kids.

I would like to have the dog permanently. Whatever anyone does, please don't send him any emails or private messages from this board, he is registered on here, and that for sure would mean the end of my seeing and keeping the dog. I hope he does not read this on here.

Last edited:

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
I would like to have the dog permanently. Whatever anyone does, please don't send him any emails or private messages from this board, he is registered on here, and that for sure would mean the end of my seeing and keeping the dog. I hope he does not read this on here.
lady d, he is your son. do not let him take advantage of you. let him take the dog, if he gets that upset. he should be responsible enough to care for him. this really is getting to me. i'm sorry but you know what you need to do. if i was caring for my son's dog the way that you are and he told me i could never see it again, you bet your ass that would fly over like a lead balloon.