• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kw75

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2009
I need help completing my home - a little picture here, items rearranged on a shelf over there, a rug etc. Varous rooms need a little finass/touch ups to make my home complete. What is the best way to do this. I like individual pieces per say - do I hire someone to shop with me? Do I buy a bunch of stuff then hire someone to put it somewhere in my home? Help - my friends are not designers and I want a completed look but I feel a little odd paying some oen to shop with me! What is the protocal on this. I want to be able to buy something cheap here and and splurge somehwere else if needed. I don't want to be tied down to one store/ one look. Thanks for the advice!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
If you're not going to hire an actual designer and no one you know has any skills, you might start buy browsing magazines and tear out pages when you see something you like. Keep a file for a little while then hit some stores and you'll find a few talented sales people who will help you out and point you to other stores.

Maybe some folks will post some of their favorite sites for shopping. Popular ones include:
crateandbarrel.com
westelm.com
potterybarn.com
ikea.com

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I need help completing my home - a little picture here, items rearranged on a shelf over there, a rug etc. Varous rooms need a little finass/touch ups to make my home complete. What is the best way to do this. I like individual pieces per say - do I hire someone to shop with me? Do I buy a bunch of stuff then hire someone to put it somewhere in my home? Help - my friends are not designers and I want a completed look but I feel a little odd paying some oen to shop with me! What is the protocal on this. I want to be able to buy something cheap here and and splurge somehwere else if needed. I don't want to be tied down to one store/ one look. Thanks for the advice!

My mother can help you. We use to do this at my store in Seagrove and have recently started back helping folks when we sell them a home. My mom is good! Jean Gregg at 850-368-6173

maxman

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2009
Destin/Sandestin/Miramar Beach
Your suggestion to shop the net does not help the local economy, local stores does.
If you're not going to hire an actual designer and no one you know has any skills, you might start buy browsing magazines and tear out pages when you see something you like. Keep a file for a little while then hit some stores and you'll find a few talented sales people who will help you out and point you to other stores.

Maybe some folks will post some of their favorite sites for shopping. Popular ones include:
crateandbarrel.com
westelm.com
potterybarn.com
ikea.com

Last edited:

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
Have you been in homes where you really liked the decor? Do you have friends who have homes that you admire? If so, I'd ask them to help you. Everyone has their own talents, and you'll probably find that there is no shortage of people who are willing to help you with the fun task of getting your home just so. Or, they might be able to recommend a designer or a particular store where they found their favorite items.

I guess it all depends on how interested you are in the project. Some people approach decorating as a fun, informative process; others dread it and have no interest in decorating or design. If you're in the first category, enlist a fashionable friend and go shopping. If you're in the latter, hire someone and be done with it. Many designers are happy to take on small jobs that require only minor shopping and restaging.

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
Sounds like you need a 'home stager' or interior redesigner. There are quite a few of them in the Sowal area. Just drop by the ACE Hardware on 98 and look on the counter. I've seen several cards for stagers/redesigners there. They use what you already own to 'restyle' your home and they can also suggest any items you might want to purchase (locally) as well. It could be a less expensive alternative to hiring a full on interior decorator.

FL Dawg

Beach Fanatic
Sep 12, 2006
Call Jan Carter @ 850-699-3713. She has her bachelors degree in Interior Design from Auburn and she is NCIDQ certified. I'm sure she would be happy to work with you.