• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Why would it be in someone's best interest who is not affiliated with the parties involved to put this event behind them? (I'm not being sarcastic or antagonistic, I'm seriously asking.) I have no affiliation at all with Seaside Rep or anyone involved in this story, which is why I am all the more curious about the whole situation.
Part of being a supporter of an organization is to responsibly ask the right questions ~ who they are and what they do, their long and short term goals, what progress has been done toward those goals, if they are trustworthy in their decision making, etc.
Asking questions, ESPECIALLY in relation to an organization that relies tremendously on volunteers and donations, regardless of their (in this case stellar) reputation is our civic duty.

If YOU are not affiliated or a supporter of the REP or do not know anyone of the players involved then why would you care ?? Simply for the gossip ?? My affiliation with the REP is as a patron and a supporter and I do not care about the back stage reasons. It is NOT our business or as you say our civic duty especially if you are not a supporter or part of the REP. The REP has a very competent, reputable, and well respected board of trustees. It is the Board's responsibility to manage and monitor the REP's activities. If it was their judgement that a change was needed I will honor and respect their decision ; That should be all that needs to be said.

BeachyQueen

Beach Comber
May 28, 2007
I meant I am not affiliated with the "scuttlebutt" as it was referred to, not that we don't support the Rep. I was saying that to clarify I wasn't taking sides or trying to stir up trouble for one side or the other. Should have been more clear on that.
Honestly, when I read the letter the first thought I had was "I need to check this out on SoWal...they always have the REAL information there". Not at all out of gossip or rumors. Because I thought everyone has always been very honest and genuine and forthright here. I don't post often but always come here for the truth of what is going on in SoWal (without the media slant or rumor mongers).

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I think the fact that no one knows the reasons speaks volumes for the integrity of the board. Of course they can't explain themselves to the community at large...they would be violating both the law and the rules of basic professionalism if they did so.

The article is the Sun on the subject--
Board of directors pushes out Seaside Rep's Hoover (with LETTERS) | seaside, theatre, letters - Local News - WaltonSun.com names the board and even names the businesses of some members in an article that basically calls them out to explain themselves. It's appalling.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
When Seaside evicted the congregation from their church, it was freely discussed here, with no "move along, now" comments.

Why is the rep board so sacred that they don't have to explain their decisions? The Seaside board that managed the chapel wasn't given a pass.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
When Seaside evicted the congregation from their church, it was freely discussed here, with no "move along, now" comments.

Why is the rep board so sacred that they don't have to explain their decisions? The Seaside board that managed the chapel wasn't given a pass.

If you were fired would you want the authority that fired you to release a list of 'reasons we let Here4Good go' for public consumption? Do you think that one of the board members going on the record with such matters is a help or hinderance in the long run for Craige? If you google 'Craige Hoover Seaside' right now the first several hits that come up involve this whole mess. Considering that potential employers use the internet to do a bit of digging on their impending hires, I would propose that all of Craige's 'friends' who are trying to fuel a campaign to 'get answers' are screwing him in the long run. The Board is going to take the high road and let this issue die, as it should.

What will not die is our gem of a theater. I for one am really looking forward to the Intern shows and the upcoming Patsy Cline play, as well as all the entertainment for years to come!

chrisjohnson850

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2009
[FONT=&quot]I disagree with 30A Skunkape. Craige knows exactly how this area works and how quickly quiet rumors fly around. Before you know it everyone is discussing a little silent secret and shooting you odd looks, but not addressing the situation to your face. No instead everyone just gossips about the person and passes around just one side of the story. He embraced what everyone was already going to know and has decided to go ahead and given his side of the story.

I for one am glad that for once unlike everything that is almost inappropriately discus on the forum about people's businesses, personal lives, and of course any amount of gossip possible, that finally someone posted something that is not a **** rumor.

If you have an opinion fine, but don't tell people what they can discus and not discus. If this subject is to touchy for you then don't reply to it.

It's very simple.[/FONT]

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I appreciate the fact that the thread is not locked or censored. As long as no one is being slandered and there are no personal attacks then discussion of this matter seems as fair as discussion of any other. -unsolicited 2 cents, G

Aug 23, 2006
Seaside REP Theatre

Aside from stockholders, necessary corporate machinations are the business of the corporate Board of Directors alone in order to keep the corporation ?on the correct and most positively productive path?. Having watched this Seaside REP Theatre ?intrigue? unfold in this, and other, ?publications? over recent weeks, I feel the need to espouse my positive opinion of the REP and confirm my continued support of our little piece of shoreline culture. I became involved in supporting the REP when an agenda driven group of selfish people (supposedly on behalf of ?God?s Will? to protect the innocent) tried to prevent our S.W. High School theater students from performing Noel Coward?s comedy ?Blithe Spirit?. Although quite interesting to watch some local politicians and some school officials squirm, the voice of reason and logical thinking prevailed and provided a short period of sane calm. Into that vacuum jumped the Seaside REP Theater and produced ?Blithe Spirit? at the REP theatre providing those high school students with a platform upon which they performed a highly successful and highly commendable performance. Along the way they learned a valuable lesson that the loudest voices are not always the voices of reason, and ?consensus? can often be a bad thing. The Seaside REP Theatre then continued its largesse towards the educational process of our local high school students by creating the Seaside Rep Theatre ?Intern Program?, a valuable ?hands-on? experience that provides real-time experiences in all facets of theater from the obvious ?acting? to the less obvious, but absolutely necessary ?technical? aspects i.e. set design and carpentry, lighting and electrical, production and stage management, and other ?behind-the-scenes? necessities to every show the public audience experiences. In return, the students provide hands-on assistance and learn the benefits of ?volunteering? in an activity they love and that provides them with a confidence and ?stage presence? that will be useful throughout their lives. For this ?Intern Program? program alone I will be forever grateful to the Seaside REP Theatre. NOW, the point of all this is that many of the people directly involved in this little piece of REP history have gone on to other endeavors; that is the way of ?corporate America?. However, having come from an area of this country where ?Theater? is SO available that it is often taken for granted, I want to reiterate just how very important the Seaside REP Theatre is to our area and how we must protect that ?culture pearl? in our midst. My thanks to all who have worked for the continued success of the REP, past, present and future; you have my continued support for what you do. Now suppose we all let the REP?s Corporate Board of Directors do what Boards? are supposed to do ?behind the scenes?,...Keep the business running smoothly and ?in the black?. Let?s leave the ?intrigue? in stage production scripts. ?GO INTERNS !?

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
I for one, will continue to support the REP as much as I can as I find it to be a gem and God know we need all the arts and culture we can get here.

I know nothing about the reasons why Craige resigned, and it is none of my business - I also know quite a few of the past and present Board members and I respect them all and am sure they struggled with the decision but I also will not question their motives - I am going to assume that they felt this change was needed - but what resonated with me in Craige's original letter was the fact that he stated that he did not know the reason why he was being asked to leave - IF that is true (and I have no idea if it is), then hopefully he is given a reason that even if he disagrees with it, will give him some sense of closure. It is so hard to lose something you have worked very hard at for so many years, to not be given a clear reason would be crushing to anyone and he certainy deserves to know.

That is it for me. Thanks

NIMBY

Beach Crab
Dec 27, 2006
Who came first?

I find it interesting that without Craige, (who started the Rep), there would have been no Board. Go Figure! :dunno: