• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Anyone know how the budget meetings went this week? I keep hearing we are going to get a 15-20% tax hike this year and wonder if there is any truth to it. I thought we had 3 firm votes against tax increases.

Get your check book out.

They will go to the rollback rate and try and convince you that it is not a tax increase - they are just raising the millage rate to generate the same revenue as last year.

I have only heard one person said they will oppose a rate increase - Sara

Maybe the WCTA will wade in here with more info.

Get your check book out.

They will go to the rollback rate and try and convince you that it is not a tax increase - they are just raising the millage rate to generate the same revenue as last year.

I have only heard one person said they will oppose a rate increase - Sara

Maybe the WCTA will wade in here with more info.

I thought C. Jones was firmly against any tax increase and I cannot see Pridgen voting for a tax increase in an election year. Last year the vote was 3-2 against tax increases. What happened?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Pridgen, as far as I know is unopposed, so there may be no consequences for him to vote to go to the roll back rate. What services do you want cut to remain at the same millage? That person doing the public records request darn sure needs to keep her/ his job, but other than that everyone else is fair game, I suppose.

Pridgen, as far as I know is unopposed, so there may be no consequences for him to vote to go to the roll back rate. What services do you want cut to remain at the same millage? That person doing the public records request darn sure needs to keep her/ his job, but other than that everyone else is fair game, I suppose.

Someone told me a democrat was running in Pridgen's race. That said the question we all must ask ourselves is what services we are willing to pay for. Police, fire, ambulances and roads are givens that the vast majority support. Past that we need to talk about.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Anyone know how the budget meetings went this week? I keep hearing we are going to get a 15-20% tax hike this year and wonder if there is any truth to it. I thought we had 3 firm votes against tax increases.

You've mentioned this on two seperate threads. What is your source? (you don't actually have to tell me unless you really want to):D At this point it is a little premature to be saying how a five member board is voting on something that hasn't been brought to them.
We are facing a budget crunch, so what are we willing to lose? Public Works, Planning/Development, Emergency Srevices?
Lets give some answers and not just complaints.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Commissioner Pridgen is unopposed, according to the Supervisor of Elections Web site. A Democrat, Bill Hunter, was running against him but has withdrawn. A county staff person told me that budget scrub meetings are taking place this week, as I understand it they are to decide what can be cut out, although more can still be cut out later. These are staff meetings and I know the WTCA folks have participated for the past few years. I don't think the commissioners have to make up their mind or say how they will be voting until the budget comes before them, but maybe some of them have spoken to someone about it.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Question - if the assessed value has dropped, isn't it possible that you could still be paying less than before - even if taxes are raised.

Considering the pages and pages of tax certificates being sold I just saw in the Defuniak Herald, some hard choices are going to have be made.

You've mentioned this on two seperate threads. What is your source? (you don't actually have to tell me unless you really want to):D At this point it is a little premature to be saying how a five member board is voting on something that hasn't been brought to them.
We are facing a budget crunch, so what are we willing to lose? Public Works, Planning/Development, Emergency Srevices?
Lets give some answers and not just complaints.

Idon't have a single "source" just alot of cafe talk among other places.:cool: That's why I asked, maybe someone in the know will tell.

Question - if the assessed value has dropped, isn't it possible that you could still be paying less than before - even if taxes are raised.

Considering the pages and pages of tax certificates being sold I just saw in the Defuniak Herald, some hard choices are going to have be made.

You are exactly right. What would be the correct way to do budgets is figure out what we NEED in the next year and then arrange financing to meet the NEEDS. We do it just opposite, we figure out how much the taxpayers will pony up without a mutiny and then decide how to spend that money.