• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Hey everyone:wave:

Turns out I have been having thyroid issues the last few years. I had just been chalking up the reoccurring sinus issues and tiredness to growing older. My doc thinks it may be Hashimoto's thyroiditis, since I had periods where I would lose weight and have energy and other times not. I'll be tested for that next week.

My reason for posting is I have been on a rather high dose of synthroid for three weeks now. I'm very curious about other peoples experience on it. Some-days are better than others. I'd just like to feel somewhat normal again(in the middle) and was wondering how long it took for the meds to work and for you to find balance. My TSH was really high, so my doc thinks it's gonna be awhile before I find the right dose.:dunno:

Also, anyone know a good endo in the area? I like my doc and trust him, but I've had many nurse friends of mine advise me to seek out an endo. Thanks for any advice or experience you can share with me. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I hope that you feel better and regain your health.

Thanks, and I am sure I will. I am very lucky that it will not affect me once we have the right level of synthetic thyroid in my system. I have found out it is very common for women around the age of 40. I thought there might be a few others in the area or on the board that were dealing with the same thing and if they wanted to start a private thyroid group on SoWal, I'd like to help, so, I shared:D:wave:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Half of my thyroid disappeared and did not discover it until I had a sonogram that happened to show my throat and my partially missing thyroid. My TSH was always within the normal range, which shows that TSH is a worthless test. Many researchers agree that TSH tests are not accurate. The best way to ensure the proper amount of synthroid is by having a metabolic panel blood test done. You will probably note that all of the metablic areas are out of whack. You can thank your thyroid. Once you get the metabolic issues worked out, ie: proper amt of synthroid, hormones, etc...you will feel better. In other words, TSH is worthless and only one of many areas your doctor needs to be loking into.
It's been about three years since I discovered I had an issue and still not regulated. I have not been to an Endo, but I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Half of my thyroid disappeared and did not discover it until I had a sonogram that happened to show my throat and my partially missing thyroid. My TSH was always within the normal range, which shows that TSH is a worthless test. Many researchers agree that TSH tests are not accurate. The best way to ensure the proper amount of synthroid is by having a metabolic panel blood test done. You will probably note that all of the metablic areas are out of whack. You can thank your thyroid. Once you get the metabolic issues worked out, ie: proper amt of synthroid, hormones, etc...you will feel better. In other words, TSH is worthless and only one of many areas your doctor needs to be loking into.
It's been about three years since I discovered I had an issue and still not regulated. I have not been to an Endo, but I highly recommend it.

I'm getting the bells and whistles workup next Friday. My TSH was 62 and T4 and T3's pretty much non-existent. Endos are a special group and few and far between from my research. I think my doc will be aggressive and want to treat me from my symptoms as well the numbers, so, I think I'm lucky in that aspect from what I read. Thank you so much for sharing and would you be interested in an internet group for thyroid issues? If so,, maybe we are not so alone :wave:

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
I was diagnosed with graves when my son was 1 year old. My doctor said she couldn't believe I never said anything because of how bad I was feeling. What did I know, I was prego for 9 months, had a c then had a baby to deal with...what did I know from feeling normal! After trying to control with medicine, my endo said the best way to deal with it would be to eradicate my thyroid with radioactive iodine. That was 15 years ago. I have been on synthroid ever since and until these past 2 years, was able to regulate my levels pretty well. But lately, I guess because of age, I'm going up and down and left and right. It required blood work more frequently, but I think I'm finally adjusted right. (Well plus 25 pounds or so). You will feel better soon....I promise

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
I'm getting the bells and whistles workup next Friday. My TSH was 62 and T4 and T3's pretty much non-existent. Endos are a special group and few and far between from my research. I think my doc will be aggressive and want to treat me from my symptoms as well the numbers, so, I think I'm lucky in that aspect from what I read. Thank you so much for sharing and would you be interested in an internet group for thyroid issues? If so,, maybe we are not so alone :wave:

Family physicians are more than capable of treating these issues. If it were not for the eradication procedure I would not have gone to a endo. However, most (in my area at least) have labs right inside the office as where my family doc did not. It made it much more convenient when have blood work done every 4 to 6 weeks.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Can you get in touch w/ organicmama on Facebook? If I remember correctly, she dealt with a lot of endocrine issues w/ her hubby and diet helped a great deal.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I was diagnosed with graves when my son was 1 year old. My doctor said she couldn't believe I never said anything because of how bad I was feeling. What did I know, I was prego for 9 months, had a c then had a baby to deal with...what did I know from feeling normal! After trying to control with medicine, my endo said the best way to deal with it would be to eradicate my thyroid with radioactive iodine. That was 15 years ago. I have been on synthroid ever since and until these past 2 years, was able to regulate my levels pretty well. But lately, I guess because of age, I'm going up and down and left and right. It required blood work more frequently, but I think I'm finally adjusted right. (Well plus 25 pounds or so). You will feel better soon....I promise

We women are tough cookies aren't we Ktscris? I just never thought to tell my doc how tired I was, because i felt like I was complaining. I thought I was just getting older and we kept treating what we thought were sinus symptoms, and were in a way because they were not working properly, but they were masking this issue. My face pain and body aches have disappeared now my third week into the meds. Thank you so much for sharing. I was hoping you would join in :love::wave: