• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Dune Restoration Project in Full Compliance of the Law
It all started when a neighbor spotted the use of a product called dolomite, which is strictly prohibited by the Department of Environmental Protection seaward of the Coastal Construction Control Line.

Walton County Sheriff's deputies arrested 65-year-old Mike Parsonnet after he used his vehicle to block crews from gaining access to the beach.

As it turns out EBSCO, which hired G-A-C crews to perform the work, had all of the proper permits from both the county and the Department of Environmental Protection.

While crews were using dolomite, it was only placed at the staging area which was landward of the coastal control line.

"That's where the county approved the use of dolomite for just that. So this was well north of the coastal control line and nothing to do with the dune enhancement. There was no dolomite whatsoever used on the beach or in the dune enhancement project which was approved" says Tom Dodson, Vice President of Sales for Alys Beach.

Crews used the material to protect the county roadway and stabilize the heavy machinery. After the work was completed last Wednesday, the crews removed the dolomite.

There were reports DEP forced EBSCO to remove the material but that was not the case. After conducting a November 19th on-site inspection, DEP issued a statement saying:

"The placed sand was found to be compatible with the native sand on the beach and dune system and there was no apparent evidence of incompatible or unauthorized material being placed seaward of the CCCL."

Officials with Alys beach, which is owned by EBSCO, say the project was completed in full compliance of the law

"As long as we're doing what we know we're approved to do, we feel comfortable with it. We can't control what an individual feels or says, but we just know that if we are to be challenged we have all the proper approvals in hand" says Dodson.

CampCreekLou

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2005
This has got to be the ultimate NIMBY story ever.

NIMBY is funding wind farms in central Indiana, but blocking them off of Nantucket.

I'm thinking this guy would oppose dumping dolomite in your backyard too......

CampCreekLou

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2005
NIMBY is funding wind farms in central Indiana, but blocking them off of Nantucket.

I can't believe I'm only at 173 posts. Seems like I've been doing this forever......;-)

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

I'm sure this doesn't stem from the actual development going in. :sarc:

Turns out he was wrong, but then I'm not surprised that someone who's retired on disability and doesn't have any land planning, engineering, or survey experience was. I'm curious if he even attempted to calmly ask the crews that were doing the work what was the substance and where exactly they were using it.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Lupin Beach

Just wondering what's happening with the Lupin Beach Development? The hubby and I did not stay at Inlet Beach this past summer at our usual spot but did drive down there and saw that the road looked like it had been cleared over to Lupin Beach. Have been looking online in Inlet Beach and looked at a spot at the end of Walton Magnolia but the side deck faces the beach but it's not beach front. Saw a new looking long walkover to the south, any homes been built there yet? I have read that many residents are unhappy about the increase in traffic it will cause. Probably will be the end of it being a quiet area of the beach.

Last edited:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Tsutcli, already saw that. Remember when it was posted. When I was web searching VRBO in Inlet Beach the place I started to reserve was down at the end by where Lupin Beach will be. I noticed a new looking walkover that I knew wasn't for the place I was looking at.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
And Dotty Nist at Beach Breeze - http://defuniakherald.com/?p=5635

Detailed plans for 20 single-family units have been conditionally approved to move foward in connection with the Inlet Beach development known as Lupin Beach.

The approval took place at the Walton County Technical Review Committee (TRC) regular meeting on Sept. 5 at the South Walton Annex.

The 6.36-acre Lupin Beach property is located south of U.S. 98 and Walton Magnolia Lane, adjacent and to the west of the Walton/Bay County line. The property includes more than 700 feet of beachfront.

The Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) had granted approval for Lupin Beach in 2010 as a 20-unit conceptual planned unit (PUD) development. As part of that approval, developer EBSCO Gulf Coast Development, Inc., had agreed to pay for a public dune walkover along the county line, in an area where residents had been accustomed to accessing the beach. The walkover has been constructed.

At the TRC meeting, residents in attendance asked if the detailed plans being considered for approval would go before the county commission.

TRC member Mac Carpenter of Walton County Planning and Development Services responded that at this time the plans were being processed as a minor development order application. Minor development proposals generally are not required to undergo consideration by the Walton County Planning Commission and BCC.

Carpenter said that historically, and certainly during the five years he had been working for the county, detailed plans for approved conceptual PUDs had been treated as minor developments.

Anita Page commented that it had been clear that the approval by the BCC was a conceptual approval only and that concerns of neighbors of the development needed to be resolved.

“This has been a very public project,” countered Jim Martelli, and engineer representing EBSCO. Martelli said the BCC approval had included specific site plans for the development featuring building footprints—and that the site plans for the current application are identical to those site plans.

“We followed the code, we followed the Comprehensive Plan. We followed up with technical submittal. We have nothing to hide; we are very proud of this project,” Martelli added.

Heather Whitmore, county planner and TRC member, noted that county staff had reviewed EBSCO’s technical submittal, and had found that it met the requirements of the Walton County Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code, with the exception of several conditions to be addressed.

These included: the developer obtaining a Coastal Construction Control Line (CCCL) permit before beginning any construction seaward of the CCCL; the payment upon development order issuance of $18,690 to the Proportionate Fair Share Program; and the naming of streets to the satisfaction of 911 addressing/mapping before recording of the plat for the development.

Alan Ficarra countered that, even if the detailed plan was the same as the one submitted at the time of conceptual approval, there had been no serious review of the plan at that time. This was because the public had been told that future plans for the development would go before the BCC, he said. “They said it could all change,” he recalled.

Mike Parsonnet recalled that seven residents had questioned the development at the time of the BCC approval. “This was a done deal,” be complained.

County planner Renee Bradley asked if going before the BCC had been a condition in the conceptual PUD approval.

Carpenter responded that there was no such condition in the BCC’s final order approving the conceptual PUD.
Page asked if lots would be platted and homes constructed south of the CCCL. Martelli answered yes, but that no new lots would be platted south of the CCCL.

Some lots had already been existence on the property, on which several homes had at one time been located….
Read the full story in the Sept. 13, 2012 edition of the Herald Breeze.

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
Decision delayed til December

Those who waited two and a half hours to discuss the Lupin Beach development with their commissioners went away from Tuesday’s BCC meeting without closure.

Further discussion of the development was delayed until December’s South Walton-located BCC meeting, and the next time, it will be brought before three new commissioners.

The sitting commissioners initially approved plans for the development in 2010, then sent the plans for the 20-home Lupin Beach neighborhood off Walton Magnolia Lane in Inlet Beach to the planning commission.

On Oct. 11 of this year, the Walton County Planning Board approved the technical aspects of the project, including roadways and utilities, and told those in opposition to bring up their complaints with the commissioners Nov. 13. Now the date to dissent will be Dec. 11.

The developer of this plot is Alys Beach town planner Jason Comer, whose family has for decades owned the 6.36-acre plot. Comer remembers visiting when the his family owned what is now Camp Helen State Park and the whole Inlet Beach area was a mere six or seven houses. One of the houses the family visited still stands on the beachfront land, and is known by the name “Lupin.”

Neighbors say the development violates Florida and county measures to protect the primary dunes, which have kept existing structures undamaged through past hurricanes.

The Lupin Beach discussion will continue next month on Dec. 11 during a quasi-judicial session following the regularly scheduled BCC meeting at 4 p.m. at the South Walton Courthouse Annex.

http://www.waltonsun.com/news/fate-of-lupin-beach-delayed-until-december-1.50223?tc=cr

Last edited by a moderator: