• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This sounds like a ton of funn!

From WZEP AM1460

Row, Row, Row your boat… and camp… and fish… and hike along a biodiverse section of our area. Walton Commissioner Scott Brannon said Bill Cleckley with the Northwest Florida Water Management District and Cliff Knauer with Preble-Rish Engineering have all been working on a Choctawhatchee River Paddle Trail that would start at Morrison Springs and end near the bay at Black Creek.

At the recent Walton Commissioner meeting, Knauer noted Walton has a tremendous wealth of natural resources. The three are putting together a paddle trail for canoes, kayaks and other craft. The trail would connect with the Holmes Creek trail and the Florida Hiking Trail crosses the area.

They are working on getting a $200,000 grant with $50,000 matching from the Water Management District. Cleckley said the district owns land along the river and creeks. He also noted there are oxbow lakes, springs and archeological sites. The trail is being based on one at the Suwannee River.

The trip would be 57 miles total. The sections would provide segments where people could pick different legs of the trail based on experience and time. There would also be stops where people could stay overnight. Knauer said the trail could include the river north in Holmes County as an additional extension in the future. The trail would connect with the Holmes Creek trail. There would be kayak and canoe racks at each site and the trail crosses the Florida Scenic Hiking Trail. There will also be bank fishing sites and ADA enhancements where possible. There could also be small cabins for sleeping bags, basically elevated screened rooms that could be reserved. The Cowford site might have restrooms and showers.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
The Choctawhatchee River is very dangerous. The water is deep, very swift, and murky, and you cannot see what's under you. Anyone who travels this river, or it's branches, must be very skilled. It isn't Disney World folks.

NWFLOA

Beach Comber
Not all of the rivers/creeks have guides or kayak/canoe rentals. The best advice I can give for people wanting to paddle a new location is to join a local paddling club and go on the group trips. I always go with a group any time I'm tackling a new destination. The next best advice I can give is don't paddle beyond your experience level, and the third piece of advice would be is to always wear your life jacket.