• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]When the Walton County Board of Commissioners issued a mandatory burn ban last week, that ban included “all” consumer fireworks, as many people found out this past holiday weekend.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]With an estimated street value of over $7,000 dollars, many tourists, visitors and residents had their fireworks seized in an effort by local emergency response agencies to uphold the mandatory burn ban. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Despite the random rain showers, most of Walton County remains well above the 650 Keetch-Byram Drought Index (KBDI). Any number above 500 is considered to be in the wildfire danger zone. “With existing drought like conditions, every open fire is considered a legitimate threat to our area,” said Rick Talbert, Fire Chief South Walton Fire District. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]The majority of the seized fireworks are considered “illegal” by Florida State Statute 791. Fireworks that are considered “not illegal” were seized due to the mandatory burn ban. “Even though sparklers don’t explode or launch into the air, they can still produce temperatures in excess of 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, that coupled with extremely dry conditions is a recipe for disaster,” said Sammy Sanchez, Fire Marshal South Walton Fire District. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Citizens and visitors are encouraged to monitor news outlets and information released from authorities to ensure they remain safe by complying with local, state and federal rules and regulations. [/FONT]

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
A few small fires were fought I think due to the burn ban and less people had fireworks, or were at least more aware of fire danger. If I was a gulf front home owner I would of had a water sprinkler on the dune vegetation, the south wind and the sparks had me concerned. Thankfully, we still have healthy forests. Thank you WCSO and SWFD!

And County Commissioners who supported and enacted the burn ban.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I heard Walmart and Publix were selling fireworks in Walton- even though there is a burn ban!?!? Is this true?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
It's a loophole of sorts- you can still sell fireworks during those kinds of burn bans; however the people who buy them can't use them in counties or states X,Y, and Z where there is a burn ban with fireworks in place.