• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Red Iris

Beach Crab
Feb 19, 2014
I think the best thing to do would to enforce strict architectural guidelines for commercial construction in both Seagrove and Seacrest Beach. Make the Aesthetics of the buildings be so extreme that no hotel chain will want to pay the money to build on 30A.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I frankly don't care if you're both an astronaut and a beauty queen, and I'm sure most here find your little list as impressive as you find it.....the question is why don't you and "hubby" do something other than show up and try to slam the door behind you? Someone as proud of your credentials must be capable of doing more than simply asking true local governance to protect your shallow interests.

How much property have you and "hubby" locked into conservation down here near your private "non-rental' vacation home?

So now you're going to do your typical cross-examination because you don't want to believe you just had your ass handed to you.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Me, I'm of the opinion that the megadevelopments like Water Color and Watersound were what changed the area permanently and not for the good. If they can come up with a stormwater plan, a modest chain hotel has far less negative impact, IMO.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I frankly don't care if you're both an astronaut and a beauty queen, and I'm sure most here find your little list as impressive as you find it.....the question is why don't you and "hubby" do something other than show up and try to slam the door behind you? Someone as proud of your credentials must be capable of doing more than simply asking true local governance to protect your shallow interests. How much property have you and "hubby" locked into conservation down here near your private "non-rental' vacation home?

So now you're going to do your typical cross-examination because you don't want to believe you just had your ass handed to you.

Please stick to the topic of the thread and attack the issue, not the person. Personal attacks are not allowed on SoWal.com.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Me, I'm of the opinion that the megadevelopments like Water Color and Watersound were what changed the area permanently and not for the good. If they can come up with a stormwater plan, a modest chain hotel has far less negative impact, IMO.

They certainly have added a lot of beds and traffic. But at least the developments were done responsibly with proper drainage, retention ponds, buffers, density, and pleasing design with trails, boardwalks, parks and amenities.

You could argue that a chain hotel has less impact but stopping 14 of them surely will have more. Sadly though I'm sure they'll just move on to 98 and taraffic and crowded beaches will be the same result.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I don't believe hotels have anything to do with the traffic and crowded beaches.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
I don't believe hotels have anything to do with the traffic and crowded beaches.da ss3s

Agreed. As long as they keep the entrances on the side road and address the drainage issue what are you going to do? Progress I guess. Hampton today, Mickey D's tomorrow. Welcome to Ft. Waltondale.

Last edited:

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
Part of the problem is they approve almost anything because there is no zoning requirements, only land use codes which, in themselves, are vague and useless for useful, controlled development. Walton County badly needs to come into the 21st centuray and instill some valid, well defined zoning codes. They refuse to do it for some unknown reason.

I can't say I understand the difference between land use codes and zoning requirements. Has the topic of adopting stricter controls ever been debated? I'm sure there are large property owners and development proponents that would oppose putting more limits on what they can do with their own property, but if what you say is true, what is there to balance development pressure against the needs and interests of the existing community?

smithwjhg

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2010
Inlet Beach
www.wjhg.com
As for Ch. 7 "needing to speak to people" that's a lame excuse. Do the research, create a story, don't rely on people who are hesitant to speak to do you jobs for you. Go report.

TV is about people and what they care about. If people won't speak to an issue there is not much we can do. Unlike print... we need video and people from both sides to speak about it. We can't just read a bunch of stuff that people post on message board.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin

cross exam? I asked one question of her after her list of pointless alphabet soup bragging

she is more than welcome to run up against MC Davis and recite her bonafide educational laurels
they certainly outnumber his, if this gets shot down it won't be because she went to college

I'm not even pro-hotel, I think there's a better use for the property, meaning more profitable,
but I am simply pro property rights and anti-"we just got here now close the door!" attitude
of a certain type of person....if she finds that insulting I'm perfectly fine with it

Davis and Rigdon are business men, meaning at this point they would much rather sell this property at true market value than deal with little busy-body nobodies trying to tell them what they may or may not do with it.

....so the question is why would somebody who wants to control the property and has a whole can of alphabet soup she is willing to recite not try to buy it? surely she and "hubby" aren't simply hypocrites?