• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
IIRC, you can't ban based on whether a business is independent or a franchise that's part of a national chain; it has to be for other reasons. The 'no drive through' rule for 30-A effectively kept a lot of fast food chains out because it's a necessary part of their business model. But they couldn't explicitly say 'no fast food chain restaurants' in the land plan ( or whatever it's called) and eventually a Subway that didn't need a drive-through did open up rather uneventfully along the road and there was briefly a Lee's Chicken franchise in IIRC, Gulf Place.

That pretty much shoots down the argument that chain hotels don't fit doesn't it? I never believed that was a viable objection since a lot of independently owned businesses sell out to chains.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
That pretty much shoots down the argument that chain hotels don't fit doesn't it? I never believed that was a viable objection since a lot of independently owned businesses sell out to chains.

Why is everyone so caught up in the national chain argument when many other valid reasons for denying this project were presented at the meeting and will be used at the upcoming BCC meeting?

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
If the issue is with halting more people, traffic, development then then even if this passes the movement needs to continue and not stop.

If the issue is with cookie cutter buildings then the Hampton Inn or any other hotel should be uniquely designed and attractive. I think this can only come from requiring a design approval process and that has to be added to the approval process.

In order for that to happen then the atmosphere here has to change toward controlling and regulating business which means the elected people have to change.