• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

luca brazzi

Banned
Jan 6, 2013
There was a commissioners meeting in Defuniak on the 27th and they discussed the re design of Chateau 30A. People still refuse to call the Hampton a Hampton but we all know what it is. A video of that meeting should be available but as of yet I haven't found it. Anyone out there have any suggestions on where to look?
What difference does it make what it's called? I believe it's already been established that you can't ban a business just because it's part of a chain. You folks need to be concentrating on issues that will hold water in the legal world. Actually, some of you on this forum should run for the county commission.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Anne: Posters usually get banned for personal attacks and disputable language; not for the content of their opinion.

Also, it's nice that you had your twenty years in Seagrove and you have found a better place to live. Some of us have lived here a much longer time, have all our friends and our careers imbedded in this community. Please have a little bit of compassion for our situation. Thanks.

seanote

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2007
The relationship between the Comp Plan and the LDC is governed by Florida Statute. It's pretty much all in here http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...eYear=2012&Title=->2012->Chapter 163->Part II

Good luck deciphering all that. In general the Comp Plan is supposed to be the guiding document for growth management and has to contain various elements with goals and policies. The LDC is supposed to be the nuts and bolts of implementing the comp plan. If we had zoning in this county the LDC is where the details would be. The two documents are supposed to be consistent. Both are available on the county website and both have been changed from 75 to 125 units for limited lodging. I don't think enough attention has been paid to this change, how and when and why both were changed. I would like a lot more details and explanation from the county about that.
In general terms most of the changes I have seen over the years have favored "attorneys with clients who have a financial benefit." You pretty much nailed it. Change is a two edged sword - it could work for other community interests such as lower densities, preservation of certain community attributes, more appropriate stormwater management, etc. but it unusually doesn't.

Thank you. From what I understand, the Comp plan was changed to 125 rooms in 2011. Then May 2014 as requested by the attorney for the developer, David Theriaque, the language in the LDC was changed from 75 to 125. His argument for which he provided several cases was that:
"The present use of land may, by zoning ordinance, continue to be more limited than the future use contemplated by the comprehensive plan."

Theriaque also provided a draft proposed ordinance to amend the LDC making the change from 75-125 rooms.

From a Walton County Planning dept staff report on May 20, 2014:

"Correspondence and case law citations from Attorney David Theriaque addresses the legal issue of the more restrictive provision of either the Comprehensive Plan or the Land Development being the controlling document. In this case, the more restrictive provision is in the LDC and thus the change made by the BCC in the EAR Amendment to the Comprehensive Plan is still restricted by the LDC language stating a maximum of 75 rooms in the definition of Limited Lodging."

So does this mean that the more restrictive provision was in the LDC so he petitioned to have that changed to the less restrictive provision and the county complied?

Seems to me the language was there to stop the Hampton Inn before May of last year. Did the county have to change the LDC to conform with the comp plan or could they have changed the comp plan to keep the more restrictive provisions?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I got a little bit frustrated when Luca repeatedly accused me and many people from this community of being snobs when it's pretty obvious there are a lot more legitimate and serious issues at stake here. Trying to preserve quality of life is what the issue is. Since you obviously had your twenty years, I don't see why you don't keep your opinion to yourself since you obviously don't care about this place anymore.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I was wondering the same thing. Why does someone who no longer lives here or care keep posting and arguing about our local issues on a message board? I guess it's a new form of entertainment?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Since 1983. My family has owned a home in Seagrove since 1959. I don't quite fit your formula that when you tire of a place, you just move on, and watch it ruin.