• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Purrmaid

Beach Comber
Jul 4, 2016
Seagrove
Hmm. At one point the water was under this tent and a man moved it back.
You do realize that tent in the waterline , and the vast majority of tents , are not from vendors . Those same tents are prohibited in the new Customary use ordinance . But surprise they are still there . Though with 11 code enforcement officers 7 days a week (so max 5 per shift ) for 26 miles what can one truly expect from them?
There isn't enough space for everyone to sit directly front row , especially with the tent sprawl. The vendors put out chairs that have been paid for , they don't set them up for fun. I'm not saying the deal vendors currently have with the county are in the interest of the local tax paying constituents however that's the current situation .

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
Very simple solution. If it is a commercial enterprise, or otherwise earns money, it is not allowed at a publicly owned facility (beach accesses, boat ramps, etc.).

Wait...that's too easy.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
You do realize that tent in the waterline , and the vast majority of tents , are not from vendors . Those same tents are prohibited in the new Customary use ordinance . But surprise they are still there . Though with 11 code enforcement officers 7 days a week (so max 5 per shift ) for 26 miles what can one truly expect from them?
There isn't enough space for everyone to sit directly front row , especially with the tent sprawl. The vendors put out chairs that have been paid for , they don't set them up for fun. I'm not saying the deal vendors currently have with the county are in the interest of the local tax paying constituents however that's the current situation .
They don't set them up for fun? Well they don't set them up,rented either....they are ghost chairs hoping someone sits in them and then must pay..IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO SETUP UNRENTED CHAIRS. but who cares?
Not Enforcement.....

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
Oh, sorry, but you are mistaken... I get there early and the parking lot is practically empty, but the we waterline of the beach is already full of tents and chairs (one vendor sets up on one side of the life guard and has all the same chairs and umbrellas and on the other side is the vendor with all shapes and sizes of chair and tents. I know it's a vendor because the chairs and tents sit empty for a couple of hours. I've watched them set them up before. Even if they are already paid for which I doubt., It's still not ok for the vendor to block people who get there early from getting a choice spot. To me that's like holding the water's edge hostage.

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
They don't set them up for fun? Well they don't set them up,rented either....they are ghost chairs hoping someone sits in them and then must pay..IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO SETUP UNRENTED CHAIRS. but who cares?
Not Enforcement.....
They need to make vendors tag their equipment so the enforcement officers can tell for sure and stop this camouflage bs. That would be tooooooo easy.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Even the privately owned beaches are having problems with people, both tourists and locals bringing tents down, setting them up, and then leaving for up to a few hours. The funny thing is that people have these tents and then, more often than not, nobody is even sitting under it! Beach placeholder!

Last edited:

Purrmaid

Beach Comber
Jul 4, 2016
Seagrove
Oh, sorry, but you are mistaken... I get there early and the parking lot is practically empty, but the we waterline of the beach is already full of tents and chairs (one vendor sets up on one side of the life guard and has all the same chairs and umbrellas and on the other side is the vendor with all shapes and sizes of chair and tents. I know it's a vendor because the chairs and tents sit empty for a couple of hours. I've watched them set them up before. Even if they are already paid for which I doubt., It's still not ok for the vendor to block people who get there early from getting a choice spot. To me that's like holding the water's edge hostage.

I'm not trying to argue with you , just educate you. If you didn't even know what the BCC was , you've got a lot to learn . Vendors at a public access get 50% of the access. That's the side with the uniform chairs . Code enforcement does actually ticket the vendors when they violate rules . The other side of all sizes of chairs and tents is the non vendor side . That is left to public. You see them empty , because they set up and leave . Saving space to come back later.

I live gulf front full time. There is no where in my neighborhood to park on the street legally . So an empty parking lot doesn't mean anything . Yet as soon as that sun comes up , and sometimes before , tents and chairs start going up . The race to get front row begins. Then people leave them for a few hours , and finally go sit in the chairs or get in the water etc. Sometimes they even leave for dinner and come back after the sun has set to collect their tents . Sometimes they even leave them there . The vendors in this stretch of beach do not vend tents. Sometimes the people who have rented chairs & umbrellas bring their own tents to place behind their rented sets.

*I also agree that there is a problem , but there are many pieces to it .

Last edited:

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
I'm not trying to argue with you , just educate you. If you didn't even know what the BCC was , you've got a lot to learn . Vendors at a public access get 50% of the access. That's the side with the uniform chairs . Code enforcement does actually ticket the vendors when they violate rules . The other side of all sizes of chairs and tents is the non vendor side . That is left to public. You see them empty , because they set up and leave . Saving space to come back later.

I live gulf front full time. There is no where in my neighborhood to park on the street legally . So an empty parking lot doesn't mean anything . Yet as soon as that sun comes up , and sometimes before , tents and chairs start going up . The race to get front row begins. Then people leave them for a few hours , and finally go sit in the chairs or get in the water etc. Sometimes they even leave for dinner and come back after the sun has set to collect their tents . Sometimes they even leave them there . The vendors in this stretch of beach do not vend tents. Sometimes the people who have rented chairs & umbrellas bring their own tents to place behind their rented sets.

*I also agree that there is a problem , but there are many pieces to it .
Like I told you, I have sat there and watched the SAME group of guys set up dozens (and NOT the dark blue ones) chairs and tents on different occasions and on a different side from the dark blue ones. Again, all at the same time. I go to this beach access alot, I know what I'm looking at b/c I'm seeing the same thing day after day. If it makes you happy I will ask these people who they work for....and of course get back to you.

Last edited: