• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Absolutely, What's needed is for us to be forced to lock ourselves down like all you "brilliant" individuals who are far above the "deep south mentality" that you speak of. I avoid crowds and wear a mask because I choose to and I don't don't go to bars and dine out during this time because I choose not to. If you hate the people of the Deep South so much, why don't you move? I hear it's nice in Minneapolis this time of year.

I get so sick of the anti-science, anti-intellectual deep south mentality. But the beaches are nice,

You brought hate into it. I hate ignorance, not people.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
I wear a mask in public and I choose not to gather with others in public places because I think it's the right thing to do. And I'm an "ignorant" southerner. Do you think that rioting, looting, and destroying the property of others as a form of "protest" is an "opportunity to do what's right?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Teresa, I agree with you but in a democracy where we the people are this divided and respect for each side has been replaced with anger, frustration and even hatred more and more people are going to choose individual liberties over social systems that share responsibilities for the greater good. In addition We also are all part of the Western Philosophy that focuses on individualism instead of the whole. I wish democracy meant that we can have it both ways but I know that it will always be like this probably because of the nature a two party political system. Many of my discussions with very religious (and educated) people are concerned that our institutions (social and government) are being taken over by people who are trying to take away the freedoms that are most important to them and give other groups more freedom at their expense. It is the only explanation of how good people that have always tried to do the right thing are not wearing a mask. So when their false prophet tells them that he will protect those freedoms that matter most to them they will be very loyal. Somehow this loyalty expresses itself in ways that conflict with the greater good. To be fair many have legitimate arguments and examples can be found right here in this forum. Grouping people into offensive categories is not the answer in finding the greater good or doing the right thing. Once you hit people with verbal and emotional abuses like this they just become more and more loyal to their causes even when those causes conflict with doing the right thing. I am not excusing the behavior but I do understand it and respect it even though I try very hard in my discussions to convince them to listen to their heart not their politics. I don't know if this will make any sense to you or anyone else but it is my experience in trying to reason with both sides...

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
So everyone who is from the south and those who don't share your values are ignorant? That seems to be the implication of your post.
Science and intellectuism are not values. Why so angry? Are you trolling me?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Teresa, I agree with you but in a democracy where we the people are this divided and respect for each side has been replaced with anger, frustration and even hatred more and more people are going to choose individual liberties over social systems that share responsibilities for the greater good. In addition We also are all part of the Western Philosophy that focuses on individualism instead of the whole. I wish democracy meant that we can have it both ways but I know that it will always be like this probably because of the nature a two party political system. Many of my discussions with very religious (and educated) people are concerned that our institutions (social and government) are being taken over by people who are trying to take away the freedoms that are most important to them and give other groups more freedom at their expense. It is the only explanation of how good people that have always tried to do the right thing are not wearing a mask. So when their false prophet tells them that he will protect those freedoms that matter most to them they will be very loyal. Somehow this loyalty expresses itself in ways that conflict with the greater good. To be fair many have legitimate arguments and examples can be found right here in this forum. Grouping people into offensive categories is not the answer in finding the greater good or doing the right thing. Once you hit people with verbal and emotional abuses like this they just become more and more loyal to their causes even when those causes conflict with doing the right thing. I am not excusing the behavior but I do understand it and respect it even though I try very hard in my discussions to convince them to listen to their heart not their politics. I don't know if this will make any sense to you or anyone else but it is my experience in trying to reason with both sides...

There is no both sides to a pandemic or science or facts. Politicizing this pandemic has been a disaster.

Democracies around the world have very little difficulty doing what is necessary for their countries and communities to survive and thrive. They are doing the hard work even now.

And my experience is that most Americans are more than willing to do the same. These are informed citizens who are true patriots willing to do the necessary things for the good of everyone. Lately I'm seeing so many more masks out there. And I feel thankful and more safe to be able to get out more. Really grateful for so many caring people around us. Yes we live in a ME society where science and facts are not valued but this is not the case for most people even though it has become more visible during this time. Look at all of the national polls regarding the pandemic. Look around at our friends and neighbors. They want what's best and they are doing their best.

FB_IMG_1596896647215.jpg

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Yes I have noticed more mask being worn as well. It is a very good sign and my hope is that we the people are united at least against this virus. The polls are proving that we the people are still able to be united in a bipartisan way. Wearing a mask protects others more than it protects us individually but when everyone wears a mask it is a big weapon against the virus. That said I have talked to more than a few people in this county that believe that the mask are worthless. Why would anyone think that a mask would not reduce air particles of the virus? It is not even common sense to believe that wearing mask are worthless! I kinda sorta understand why people may question science but to not use their common sense is even more worrisome. It suggest that they fear something more than this lethal virus.

Politics is very frustrating but if we make it worse by antagonizing and grouping people it only strengthens their fear and leads to "sides". There are some in this forum who are very good at antagonizing others. I just think if we can tone it down it and try to listen with respect that it will help more of us choose to elect better people to represent us AND make better choices like wearing a mask. Otherwise we will never have bipartisanship in our legislative representation as those in power will always keep us divided. So when I say that we the people can save our democracy I am talking about our American Democracy which is almost perfectly divided and everything including science becomes politicized. Heck even patriotism is politicized! Lets just watch our Presidential Election and how the campaigns on "both" sides are politicizing the pandemic. I agree that our President has politicized everything which is harmful to the American people but the two party political system is also responsible. Yes I am always trying to make the point that a better democracy is when there is a left and right and a middle which allows for more compromise in solving problems. The opposite of compromise is when power becomes authoritarian. I know that our society is shifting and change is absolutely necessary but even Obama indicated that if we change too fast that it leads to fear and fear only serves to divide us. There are times when an authoritarian mandate is necessary like with wearing a mask in a virus pandemic because of the science but when people do not believe in the science it means that fear is now a problem like in this Qanon movement. We should be concerned enough to try and not antagonize people with disrespectful rhetoric otherwise this movement will grow and we are just shooting ourselves in the foot as far as encouraging people to do the right thing.