• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I have received a lot of emails concerning the School Superintendent Referendum both Pro and Con. This one I found to be very insightful.

Having served as a school board member in PA back in the early 80s when teachers were most active in organizing unions under the guise of teacher associations, I can speak directly about the difference between an elected and an appointed superintendent.

Although the school district was small by comparison to Walton County, the principle was the same. The nine elected board members (UNPAID) were responsible for the balancing of the budget, the provision of the best education possible within the taxing limits set by the state and the best quality of instruction possible through the hiring of dedicated and trained professionals in the classroom. ALL OF THAT was accomplished through the hiring of the most qualified candidate for superintendent - a highly qualified and skilled professional who reported directly to the board and operated within a structured framework designed to give maximum flexibility to the superintendent and maximum control to those held responsible - the board members.

We received no pay, no benefits package, no insurance coverage, no perks. We served because we loved our community and wanted the best education possible for the best and brightest resource within that community - its children. We ran for election like any elected official and campaigned against opposition because the position of school board member was considered a privilege.

Under the system as structured here in Walton County, our superintendent tells the five school board members what to think, how to vote and even when to speak. These elected officials have no authority to countermand any directive from the superintendent and their only recourse for the removal of that individual is through the office of the governor who is, by the way, the ONLY person who can tell the superintendent of our school district what to do. In other words, our superintendent doesn't work for us, he/she works for the state of Florida.

It is also interesting to note (as a conservative and a taxpayer), that these five school board members are paid nearly $30,000 annually + insurance coverage and other benefits to serve as puppets for the elected superintendent.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

We, the voters, have an opportunity to make a difference in August by voting to support significant progressive change in the way a superintendent attains that status.

We are NOT GIVING UP CONTROL by choosing to have the Superintendent appointed by our school board members. We are GAINING CONTROL by allowing the selection of our superintendent AND the decisions affecting our future (our children) to be placed in the hands of those five people whom we elect to oversee education in our county. We have FIVE chances to get it right under the board selection method while we have NO chance under the present system.

I would strongly encourage fellow Walton County voters to vote yes for a strong school board AND to think carefully as they vote for the three open seats on the school board. This majority of three could be instrumental in the process of choosing our next Superintendent. Bring these important educational decisions back home where they belong, not in Tallahassee!

That's my rant on the issue, my friend.

God bless

P.S. we haven't even TOUCHED on the entire issue of qualifications to serve as a superintendent. While I believe in everyone having a chance, being an American with a high school education doesn't cut it for this position.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks for posting this Bob- what a great letter. I guess I am lucky- I have only received 2 "con" emails, and both were illogical and weak. Most my emails have started with "Why would people not want to hire a superintendent", "Are you kidding- this is how it's done here?", "Good Lord- do we live in the stone age?", and such.:lol: