• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluemtnfriend

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2005
Tennessee
Just because he wants something in his dish doesn't mean he needs food or is hungry, so ask your vet.

Both the Scooterhounds have eating disorders - Jeffy will only eat when someone is in the room w/ him, Greta will bug you incessantly for her food or post-meal biscuit and then leave it uneaten for hours - we think because she didn't always get enough/fed regularly (rescue dog).

Yes. I think sometimes he's just bored when we're not paying attention to him. I have the treat thingie that he has to work to get the treat out. And we hide his toys and tell him to find them. It cracks me up.

I guess I'd better do some reseach because the vet here recommended the Science Diet sensitive stomach since he was getting gas really bad. Since he is mostly in the house with us we can't stand it. And he will look at his rear end like"what's that all about"

dog food recipe-no recalls from my kitchen!!

I currently feed my dogs a mostly raw meat & bones diet. I am trying to feed them less meat and hopefully the meat part with be cut down significantly to where I can afford to buy organic for them and it will be only a nutritional side to the main diet.
here is is...
First let me also say that my dogs get home made kefir and a powdered pro-biotic a couple times or more a week

Supplement mix-

2 c. of granulated or powdered nutritional yeast
1 c. lecithin
1 c. garlic flakes
1/4 c. kelp
make ahead and keep in a jar,,,add 1 tbls to main recipe below.

and I also add to their meal...

fish oil tab.-the whole tab)-no mercury -filtered)
(vitmin e -low dose twice week,)
flax oil
olive oil
cold pressed coconut oil
sub lingual B-liquid
500mg of vit c powder (1 ts.)

---------
MAIN RECIPE

I make a big pot of this and keep it in frig once a week or separate into freezer portions.

1 bag of lentils
cooked Quinoa ( 2cps)
1 lrg sweet potato
1/2beet
peas- or-broccoli ( I save the stalks from heads) 2-3 stalks
2large carrots
celery
sprig of rosemary

cook all together in one pot, when vegis are soft add quinoa and mash with potato masher

ADD MEAT BEFORE SERVING OR MAKE INTO PATTIES AND FREEZE.

these ingredients are the bulk of the meal and I add a couple heaping tbls of uncooked ground turkey or beef to this. You can add a bit more rice or cooked oats plus a couple eggs and make patties then freeze- take out to thaw night before or nuke it on defrost in morning.

my fur kids also have a slice or two of whatever fruit I eat daily
apples-banana-blue berries-orange-pears mostly.

I also feed raw chicken (leg-thigh piece)
and beef long ribs with meat...the kind you use to bbq.
I also feed organ meats and salmon ( frozen or canned )a couple three times a month.

the garlic in the supplement mix really helps repel fleas and ticks!

Last edited:
Yes. I think sometimes he's just bored when we're not paying attention to him. I have the treat thingie that he has to work to get the treat out. And we hide his toys and tell him to find them. It cracks me up.

I guess I'd better do some reseach because the vet here recommended the Science Diet sensitive stomach since he was getting gas really bad. Since he is mostly in the house with us we can't stand it. And he will look at his rear end like"what's that all about"

yep...the SD kibble is giving him gas...

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA

LOL!! Some dogs are just gassy! When Max barks hard, sometimes, he barks out of both ends at the same time :blink:

For the record, both Iams and Eukanuba are Proctor and Gamble products. They are largely the same with the main difference being that Eukanuba is sold mainly through Vets and pet specialty stores.

Both Iams and Eukanuba have been subject to recalls as almost every other company out there. The products in question were food / gravy pouches which you should never really feed your dog, anyway, so it's really a non-issue.

Bottom line is to look for the food with the least amount of filler (soy and corn) and remember that dogs like variety, too. Mix their food up every so often.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

A rawhide or dinosaur bone might help too - that's what we call those giant leg bones. Both dogs will gnaw on it for hours (at the same time), but it can drive you nuts clunking on a wood floor or goober up the rugs.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
Almost all vets recommend Science Diet; that's because they get some major financial incentives for selling it. It's just not something I'd ever feed my dog. There are far better foods for the price, even if you're just looking at readily available commercial brands. I'm always amazed that vets (and OUR doctors) don't pay more attention to diet in diagnosing health problems -- other than, with the vets, using it as an opportunity to push Science Diet.

Some dogs can handle corn just fine, even if it's not the best for them nutritionally, but corn allergy or sensitivity that causes some skin problems and gas is pretty common. I don't buy dog foods that contain corn. Even from a financial standpoint, you're paying for a filler with little nutritional value, so it doesn't make much sense.

If you're looking for a good informational resource try the Whole Dog Journal. Lots of well-researched articles from people who are serious dog lovers. On the web I like dogwise.com. They have a forum that is staffed by experts and experienced dog owners; they answer all kinds of questions in a very helpful, measured manner. No whack-a-doodles like you get on some forums.

I forgot to add in my previous posts, if my dogs seem hungry between meals, I give them a hard bone to chew on (I don't leave these down all the time -- if you do they aren't "special" anymore) or I give them a whole, raw carrot to keep them busy. They also like apple slices and sweet potato slices.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
A rawhide or dinosaur bone might help too - that's what we call those giant leg bones. Both dogs will gnaw on it for hours (at the same time), but it can drive you nuts clunking on a wood floor or goober up the rugs.

Rawhide is terrible for dogs as are cow toes. Nylabones or baked cow bones...basically, things that won't break into chokeable chunks like Greenies...are the best.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
LOL!! Some dogs are just gassy! When Max barks hard, sometimes, he barks out of both ends at the same time :blink:.

:funn: I love Max! Our baby, Layla (who also loves Max), can clear a room! We tell her we should've named her "Stinky"... :love:

It's not the toe - looks like they are chewing on a dinosaur leg!

When we first got our big chow/shepard mix, Buckshot, Swafia purchased one of these dinosaur bones for him. He was terribly afraid of it, and sat and stared at it for a good hour.

Rufus, our small yorkie-pug mix (who was a little smaller than the bone itself) got tired of being polite, and walked right over, bit one end of the bone and pulled it across the living room where he proceeded to try to eat the whole thing. :bang: We've never bought another one...